Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

frame building classes

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

frame building classes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 06:49 PM
bike2victory

Bikes: Trek madone 4.5 and a mecury applo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
frame building classes

im looking for a class in frame building or just some one showing me how to build frames in south east wisconsin or northen illnoies
thanks
Old 07-02-10, 07:25 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by bike2victory
I'm looking for a class in frame building or just some one showing me how to build frames in south east Wisconsin or northern Illinois
thanks
Hey bike2victory,

There are really 4 primary schools to learn how to build bicycle frames in the US. United Bicycle Institute in Ashland, Oregon, Koichi Yamaguchi in Rifle, Colorado, Dave Bohm in Tucson, Arizona and myself, Doug Fattic in Niles, Michigan. Niles is just above Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana. If you want to get good at building frames then you want to get training from those that have lots of experience in both building and teaching and you will have to travel to get it. If you just want to get an idea of what it is all about then there are some part time builders in Chicago that might show you what they do. There is a builder in Madison, WI too.

Niles is an Amtrak stop about 90 miles east of Chicago. You can get on in Milwaukee and change at Union Station in downtown Chicago. It is not a far drive either. Last summer I had a student that biked over from Chicago.

While you will have to travel some if you want to get serious about learning, it is a lot easier today than back in the 70's when I had to go to England.

Doug Fattic
Niles, Michigan