Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Got a GPS - Try Strava! VERY Cool Website...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 09:11 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my brother in the UK told me today he joined the website Strava (free). I just joined and must admit its the best cycling/gps site Ive seen yet. Why so good?

My brother and I can compare our stats/rides/elevation/miles etc in a side by side comparison from two different locations in the world! Hes whooping me btw. Im at 2500 miles for the last 18 months and hes at 4500. All this does is motivate me I kill him in actual rides 199 vs 124 but he works at home and has more time for longer rides. I have to snatch then after the commute

Another nice feature is that it takes local hills etc and compares your stats with other local riders. A leaderboard is then created with your standings. Im WAY down the list but its interesting to see where I stand and where I can go.

All in all, a great FREE tool for us Garmin/GPS users!

https://strava.com
Old 01-11-12, 11:02 PM
Rodimus_Prime

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea I been using it since summer since I dont have a fancy gps garmin (dont want one either) I do love it though I've found alot of locals to ride with
Old 01-12-12, 08:47 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
thanks for the pointer. I've bookmarked it for if/when I get a gps.
Old 01-12-12, 08:50 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
It can be used with smartphones also. I run it on my Droid.
Old 01-12-12, 09:25 AM
Cog_Zombie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava's the Bomb! Shows me what locals are riding around my area. Easy to use and allows me to track my progress. I use it as a backup to my Garmin device. Love It, recommend it. My girlfriend uses it as well cause shes a tight wad and doesn't want to by a Garmin device.
Old 01-12-12, 09:52 AM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Strava, iMapMyride, and Endomondo. So far I have yet to use any of them. When it gets a little warmer here I will use them on similar rides, so I can see which is best.
Old 01-12-12, 10:01 AM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still not sold on having a GPS for my bike. Battery life just doesn't seem long enough for a full 10+ hour ride, and when I actually NEED a GPS, I can whip out my phone to find out where I am and where I need to be.
Old 01-12-12, 11:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
How do you like the GPS in general?

I ride with a Garmin (Edge 800) but I don't put 99 % of my rides online, or care very much what rides other people are doing. I like SportTracks, which does mapping, elevation vs speed charts, and all that great stuff, but on the desktop instead of on the web.
Old 01-12-12, 01:16 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I signed up for Strava last night and spent about an hour or so seeing where everybody else was lying, I mean riding. (35 mph up a hill? C'mon). It looks pretty interesting and maybe seeing other people's times relative to mine up the same hill will motivate me. we'll see. Apparently there are a lot of mountain bike riders near me, not that I have a mountain bike.

I've had trimble outdoors/AllSportsGPS for about 3 years now and I generally like it - I use the GPS on my phone (Android), it just sits in my back pocket and when I'm done, it automatically uploads to trimble.com. Battery life can be an issue but I've never run low even on a 4 hour ride - I just have to make sure it's charged before I go.

I do like the auto-upload piece, and I do like seeing my history all in one nice place and I also like some of the statistics (elevation change, pace etc) but I could care less about sharing it with the rest of the world. I'm very analytical though, I like seeing numbers, but it's got to be easy.
Old 01-12-12, 06:15 PM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I signed up for Strava last night and spent about an hour or so seeing where everybody else was lying, I mean riding. (35 mph up a hill? C'mon).
I've done that myself. I had a 65 mile ride, but when I looked at it in Strava, it said 87 miles. Then I looked at my max speed: 78 miles per hour. I realized I had forgotten to turn off my Garmin when I put my bike in the car at the end of the ride, and it merrily added my car trip to my bike ride. Fortunately, Strava lets you "clip" a ride, so you can fix things like that, but many users might no be aware of that.
Old 01-12-12, 06:49 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I was thinking maybe they went downhill instead of up... that would take a lot of editing of the data file though and I'm fairly certain it's not worth it. Easier to hop in your car and hold your phone out the window. Or it's always possible Strava just had a little hiccup.
Old 01-12-12, 07:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
I left Strava running once when I rode down to Portland and partway back, then hopped on the bus from downtown Vancouver up the hill to my place.

I was KOM for that climb for a few minutes before editing it.
Old 01-12-12, 11:42 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I like Strava and found some new local trails that people had loaded.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-13-12, 04:24 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just upgraded to an actual Droid phone, so I've tried out Strava a few times. Almost all my rides are comes so teaching tip much is boring, but I do use it every once in a while. A friend from high school on Facebook uses it a lot. That's why I checked it out to begin with.

It works well. I have noticed that it seems to give me more generous distance readings than my properly set up cyclocomputer. An extra tenth of a mile or two over the course of my 7-7.5 mile commute route. Not sure which one to believe more.
Old 01-13-12, 09:48 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
Still not sold on having a GPS for my bike. Battery life just doesn't seem long enough for a full 10+ hour ride, and when I actually NEED a GPS, I can whip out my phone to find out where I am and where I need to be.
Are all of your rides that long?

The Garmin 500 has a long battery life, they claim 18 hours. It's more a GPS enabled bike computer that does routes (like a que sheet), bread crumbs, as well as power (if you have a powermeter), HR, cadence (need the sensor) and the usual functions.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36728

The real benefit is the automated logging of your rides to things like Strava, Garmin Connect or Training Peaks. A smart phone is indeed a better thing for getting un-lost.

Last edited by Herbie53; 01-13-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 09:58 AM
vic303

Bikes: Schlitter Encore, RANS Seavo tandem, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Strava on my phone, and also just got a Garmin Edge 305 that will also load to Strava. I like it so far. I have also used Endomondo (multisport) and SportsTracker. I like Endo better than Sportstracker (seems more accurate) but will mostly stick with Strava for bike stuff now.
Old 01-14-12, 01:51 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using strava since spring for riding and running - I like the power estimates and segments. Like to ride alone but really like the ability to benchmark myself by age weight etc to get a sense when I should be pushing more.