Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Cirque photos here

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-17-14, 02:30 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,773 Times in 1,405 Posts

For us folks who are unable to attend please. Thank you.
Old 05-17-14, 04:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
I think you have to a member of the "club".
Rumor this may be the last one for a while. To much work for the attendance.
Old 05-18-14, 05:40 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
........Rumor this may be the last one for a while. To much work for the attendance.
Noooo. Every year my schedule has interfered with a trip to Purcellville. This year work sent me to Des Moines. The only one I've made was the off year in G'boro (2011?). Say it ain't so.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 05-18-14, 06:16 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Nuts. I'm actually in VA right now, but had to fly in and out of Norfolk. Was hoping to fly out of Dulles and pop over, but no such luck...
Old 05-18-14, 09:51 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
I think you have to a member of the "club".
Rumor this may be the last one for a while. To much work for the attendance.
I had not heard that bit of info. But as you say, rumor. IIRC, Cirque was skipped one year. Dale had a mini event that year.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-18-14, 11:46 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by CV-6
I had not heard that bit of info. But as you say, rumor. IIRC, Cirque was skipped one year. Dale had a mini event that year.
WB lamented in the past that the event did not break even. Under 70 made the "who's coming" list this year. I would expect that a few would dodge that list and or at a late date attend anyway.
This is about half of some prior years' count. A good amount of it can be attributed to the cost to travel to attend and or the economy. Or they just miss Dale Brown.

The Velo Rendezvous event on the West coast did not make it beyond 2007.

From a promotor's perspective it is precarious. Unlike classic auto enthusiasts, classic and vintage bike people lack free time, money or are just thrifty.
Old 05-18-14, 12:08 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,773 Times in 1,405 Posts
just thrifty.
Ha.

That's one way to put it.
Old 05-18-14, 01:47 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Put me in the "lack free time" category. Have wanted to attend for years but never could break away.
Old 05-18-14, 01:54 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
WB lamented in the past that the event did not break even. Under 70 made the "who's coming" list this year. I would expect that a few would dodge that list and or at a late date attend anyway.
This is about half of some prior years' count. A good amount of it can be attributed to the cost to travel to attend and or the economy. Or they just miss Dale Brown.

From a promotor's perspective it is precarious. Unlike classic auto enthusiasts, classic and vintage bike people lack free time, money or are just thrifty.
I can relate. The one time I did attend it was a convergence of many things. Airline miles being the primary factor. I do not travel as much on my job, so the airline miles are slow to accumulate. When they do accumulate, they get used for something else.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-18-14, 03:09 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The bikes were nice. I did not find any bargains at the swap meet (besides last years Ts for $5)

I have some photos but the uploader seems to reject them.
Old 05-19-14, 08:49 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts

In my eyes, only the shows in Greensboro were true "Cirques." Wayne made a valiant attempt to repeat the magic of Greensboro but fell short for a variety of reasons. The personality of Dale Brown is indeed one of the reasons. I also believe it is hard to be taken seriously when a brand new show (BAMF) blows you out of the water when it comes to quality of bikes shown in its first year. Indeed last year's BAMF in High Point, NC had one of if not the best selection of drool-worthy bikes that I have ever seen. Being able to attend only one show this year, it was simple for me to choose BAMF as the one that I wanted to attend.
Old 05-19-14, 08:59 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bamf?
Old 05-19-14, 09:18 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by daf1009
Bamf?
not a great acronym. There is a BAMF bike company in Colorado.

I think it refers to bicycle-artform.org
Old 05-19-14, 09:21 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
not a great acronym. There is a BAMF bike company in Colorado.

I think it refers to bicycle-artform.org
Thanks repechage
Old 05-19-14, 12:53 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
There was a letter/note in the information packet that said this would be the last, at least for a while. Reasons given were the redevelopment of the shop where Mel Pinto/Velo Classique reside and an imminent move resulting from that, along with the fact that MJ travels a lot with her work and will probably travel even more in the future.

In a conversation I had with Wayne, two years ago the show had the best attendance ever. Based on what I have seen over the years I've attended (I can't remember if '09 or '10 was my first Cirque), there does seem to have been a peak in 2012 with a small drop in attendance last year, but this year the attendance was way off, with considerably less bicycles being displayed in the show, lots of empty seats in the room where they do seminars and talks, and far less folks selling at the swap. I'm not sure what the reasons were, but I would not discount the possibility that folks may be throwing their support behind BAMF as a replacement/successor to Cirque.

It is very possible that I'll be at BAMF despite the distance from my home. (Cirque is less than 20 miles from where I live.) As CdM mentioned, Dale's personality is probably a big reason as he is very outgoing and, with his out-sized personality, I can see people with schedules that limit them to one show a year choosing to attend BAMF instead of Cirque. Mind you, Dale nearly ran me over with his van yesterday as he was backing up and, despite that fact, it's still likely I'm attending his show.

Last edited by photogravity; 05-19-14 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 01:06 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
The bikes were nice. I did not find any bargains at the swap meet (besides last years Ts for $5)

I have some photos but the uploader seems to reject them.
You evidently didn't see the late 60's to early 70's 60cm Holdsworth frame that sold very cheaply, nor the Norman branded frame mount air-pump, nor the Simplex Tourist 303 derailleur (or was it the Champion du Monde?) that went for far less than half what they go for on eBay. There were some deals to be had, but I'm guessing they were outside of your wheelhouse.