Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My recumbent trike (powered) smoked by 60+ rider

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 06:53 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I was taking it easy- maybe 23mph on the MUP on my way home. I took my OutriderUSA trike to work today since I'm not up to a 26 mile RT.
After cresting a short hill I was passed by a rider in tucked position. I sped up to pace him and he was north of 26mph. I slowed down because there was a lot of slow foot and bike traffic and lost him. A few minutes later another rider with a powered rear hub blew past me.
A few miles later the first rider passed me at an intersection (we had taken different routes and he came past on the other road). I used a lot of battery to chase him. For a couple miles he rode mosty 26 - 29mph and peaked a couple times at 35mph. When I pulled beside him he was gaunt, muscular, and tough AND a clear 60+ candidate. We weren't able to talk and I don't recognize named riders but I would not be surprised if he was a professional rider.
Old 06-06-14, 03:24 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Easy to believe, IMO.

I have 2 friend who are 60, and race and regularly beat the 20+ and 30+ set.

I'm 56 and race (a little bit) and have a few credible KOMs to my name - and when I'm 60, I hope to be as good as the guy you saw, or as good as my friends. And if I don't achieve that, at least I'll be well ahead of the bulk of the 60+ population...