Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Sizing for Trek Emonda ALR 5?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 12:17 PM
bleumeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a tad over 5' 9" without shoes with a 32 inseam (not actual inseam, just from my pant size). Usually I fit into the 54 cm top tube range for most bikes. For someone of my height what size trek would you recommend?

Thanks,
Julian
Old 08-02-16, 02:23 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Well, usually a 54 is about right, BUT I'm your height with a 33" (biking) inseam, and I am more comfortable on a 52 Domane (same H2 fit, I think) because my torso is short. Really, the only way to tell is to try it out, but if your inseam is 33" like mine, also try a 52.
Old 08-05-16, 06:59 AM
JeffAL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm of similar size (5'10", 30 inseam (pants size)) and bought a 54cm ALR 5 a few weeks ago. Fit is good.
Old 08-05-16, 02:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Im 5'9 " [down from 5'10"] I like 565~57 top tubes , seat posts height-extensions are easy to change.

test ride bikes for size, then, if like here, the market for that high cost a bike does not have them in stock,
at least the "size" numbers have meaning from personal experience.

and the dealer can order the right size Emonda from Trek

./.
Old 08-06-16, 01:21 PM
bleumeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I ride a vilano tuono right now in the 54 cm size. Based off my rough measurements the ETT length is indeed 54 cm. The drops are comfortable on this bike but I feel just slightly outstretched on the hoods. I think going a longer top tube size probably wouldn't be the right fit for me. So most likely I will be looking for a 52 or 54 cm frame size. The thing is, there are no trek stores near me where I can try out the bike. Based off trek sizing charts and what I am comfortable with it seems the 54 frame size would be right for me, but I want to make sure as this will be my first nicer road bike.
Old 08-08-16, 10:35 PM
bleumeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Well, usually a 54 is about right, BUT I'm your height with a 33" (biking) inseam, and I am more comfortable on a 52 Domane (same H2 fit, I think) because my torso is short. Really, the only way to tell is to try it out, but if your inseam is 33" like mine, also try a 52.
Okay I did a more proper measure of my actual inseam which turned out to be nearly 33". I've read a ton of threads and used the competitive cyclist fit calculator and most recommend roughly a 53 frame size. The 52 trek is a 53 ETT size so I'm thinking the 52 size frame is right for me.

Unfortunately it looks like the 52 frame size is out of stock except in trek superstore locations. The closest superstore to me is over an hour and a half. Does anyone know where I can buy a 52 frame size trek emonda alr 5?

After reading more it looks like either the 52 or 54 could fit me. Looks like I'll have no choice but to drive out to the superstore to check sizing.

Last edited by bleumeon; 08-09-16 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 07:04 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bleumeon
Okay I did a more proper measure of my actual inseam which turned out to be nearly 33". I've read a ton of threads and used the competitive cyclist fit calculator and most recommend roughly a 53 frame size. The 52 trek is a 53 ETT size so I'm thinking the 52 size frame is right for me.

Unfortunately it looks like the 52 frame size is out of stock except in trek superstore locations. The closest superstore to me is over an hour and a half. Does anyone know where I can buy a 52 frame size trek emonda alr 5?

After reading more it looks like either the 52 or 54 could fit me. Looks like I'll have no choice but to drive out to the superstore to check sizing.
I had a feeling your inseam might be the same as mine. I had similar numbers in the CC calculator.

You can make a 54 work, I'm sure, but I suspect that, like me, a 52 would be better. I put a 100mm stem on my 52 to make it perfect, so if the 54 comes with a 90mm stem like the 52 did, you'd probably have to put an 80mm on it, which might well impact handling. (My experience with 80mm stems is that the bike becomes twitchier, but that wasn't on a Domane, so who knows.)

It's totally worth the drive to get the right size bike, I think! Good luck and report back!
Old 08-09-16, 11:34 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I'm thinking of Buying a 60cm. ETT is 58.6. I'm 6'2". Most of my bikes have a 58.5 Top tube so I'm thinking the the 60 should be right. I was initially thinking a 58cm but saw the TT was shorter.
Old 08-09-16, 02:38 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank72
I'm thinking of Buying a 60cm. ETT is 58.6. I'm 6'2". Most of my bikes have a 58.5 Top tube so I'm thinking the the 60 should be right. I was initially thinking a 58cm but saw the TT was shorter.
If the ETT is similar to what you're already riding, and you're comfortable, then you should buy the 60.
Old 08-09-16, 03:44 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Thanks!
Old 08-09-16, 04:12 PM
bleumeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
I had a feeling your inseam might be the same as mine. I had similar numbers in the CC calculator.

You can make a 54 work, I'm sure, but I suspect that, like me, a 52 would be better. I put a 100mm stem on my 52 to make it perfect, so if the 54 comes with a 90mm stem like the 52 did, you'd probably have to put an 80mm on it, which might well impact handling. (My experience with 80mm stems is that the bike becomes twitchier, but that wasn't on a Domane, so who knows.)

It's totally worth the drive to get the right size bike, I think! Good luck and report back!
Man, the decisions...

I can get a 54 cm which is the same size as the bike I currently ride and have it delivered to a trek dealer only 10 minutes from my house. The other option is to drive 1.5 hours so I can check out both the 52 and 54 cm.

I looked at the David Moulton's frame sizing chart and it put me at 54.5 cm Now I'm thinking I might as well get the 54 cm frame size and avoid the long drive.
Old 08-09-16, 04:30 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Man, the decisions...

I can get a 54 cm which is the same size as the bike I currently ride and have it delivered to a trek dealer only 10 minutes from my house. The other option is to drive 1.5 hours so I can check out both the 52 and 54 cm.

I looked at the David Moulton's frame sizing chart and it put me at 54.5 cm Now I'm thinking I might as well get the 54 cm frame size and avoid the long drive.
I would have said the same thing, but after trying many 54s, even a domane 54, the first time I got on a 52 was a revelation. I'd recommend the drive! It'll be worth it to make sure you get the right size bike!
Old 08-09-16, 05:57 PM
bleumeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright I just looked into and called 4-5 trek bike dealers that are a bit closer to me. I found one dealer that has a 52 cm in stock. My only concern in dropping to the 52 cm size is that the stack height will be too low.

For comparison the bike I ride right now is a 54 cm vilano tuono which undoubtedly has a more endurance/relaxed geometry. Stem length is 110 mm from my measurements. The trek alr 5 in 54 cm has the same ETT length but a shorter stem at 90 mm. Because its a more aggressive geometry relative to the vilano the stack height is a good bit lower. The only main issue with with the bike I have right now is that the reach feels a tad far. Because the ETT length is the same, but the stem is 20 mm shorter I should be good as far as reach goes on the alr 5.

Sizing down would be a better option as far as comfort while staying at the 54 cm will be demand a more aero position. Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have both the 52 and 54 in stock so I won't be able to compare. At this point I feel either size can be viable and manipulated with stem length if necessary.
Old 08-09-16, 10:04 PM
bleumeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright I decided I'll just get a 54. Stack height compared to the bike I have now is nearly 6 cms shorter. If I bought the 52 cm size I'd have a 1 cm shorter TT as well. I messed around with my handle bars to emulate that feel and it was definitely a bit cramped. A 100 mm stem would be in order to go along with the 52 cm size. Given that my current stem size is 110 mm but the alr uses a 90 mm stem the reach will be shorter to a degree. Using my current bike as a reference I'm going to go ahead and get the 54. Hope it's right for me.
Old 08-09-16, 10:20 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alright I decided I'll just get a 54. Stack height compared to the bike I have now is nearly 6 cms shorter. If I bought the 52 cm size I'd have a 1 cm shorter TT as well. I messed around with my handle bars to emulate that feel and it was definitely a bit cramped. A 100 mm stem would be in order to go along with the 52 cm size. Given that my current stem size is 110 mm but the alr uses a 90 mm stem the reach will be shorter to a degree. Using my current bike as a reference I'm going to go ahead and get the 54. Hope it's right for me.
It's probably the correct size. You can size up or down with the stock stem a cm or so.
Old 08-13-16, 01:50 AM
bleumeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by American Euchre
It's probably the correct size. You can size up or down with the stock stem a cm or so.
Got the bike today. Should of came tuned from the shop but the derailleurs were everywhere. Especially the front derailleur. Still have a slight rub for the large rear cog and the large front cog--the rest is nice and smooth though.

54 cm was definitely the right fit. Actually I might even get a longer stem for this size. Reach is a little short. Bike handles great and is a huge difference in feel compared to my Vilano road bike. Super stoked and hope to hit the road often.
Old 08-14-16, 09:39 PM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is awesome. Once those derails get dialed, look out! Makes me want to go test ride a trek. Again.
Old 08-15-16, 12:55 AM
bleumeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I tuned up all the derailleurs myself, oiled them, and put some white lightning on my chain. Buttery smooth! There is still a single gear set up that I can't get rid of the front derailleur rub. When I use my large front chain ring and my large rear chain ring there is a slight bit of rub on the front derailleur. The other really small issue is that when I use the small front chain ring and the my smallest rear cog (where the chain is at the steepest angle possible on the bike) there is a very slight clacking when the chain wobbles and hits the front large chain ring--hardly an issue and when I'm on the road I can't hear it at all. Its only when I test the gearing in a quiet room.

So all in all I have it dialed in near perfect, crisp shifting and no rub or noise on anything else. Compared to my old bike this one is so quiet and stiff--road vibrations are really dampened and the handling is superb. As my first nice road bike I'm very satisfied.

At the moment I'm searching for used 100 mm and 110 mm stems. I'm really glad I didn't get the 52 cm--the fit on my 54 cm trek is pretty good but the reach is a little shorter than what I would like. I thought the 54 cm sizing on my vilano tuono would be a good reference for my fit but their 54 cm size is actually really huge (Recommended sizing for their 54 cm is 5' 7" to 5' 11"). I'm actually a little shy of 5' 9". After riding a bike that was too big for me for a year my reach was stretched out a lot.

On an another note can I put 25 mm tires on 23 mm rims? I eventually want to swap to wider tires that will handle better on dirt roads and rough pavement.
Old 09-16-17, 05:52 AM
ejewels

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah I tuned up all the derailleurs myself, oiled them, and put some white lightning on my chain. Buttery smooth! There is still a single gear set up that I can't get rid of the front derailleur rub. When I use my large front chain ring and my large rear chain ring there is a slight bit of rub on the front derailleur. The other really small issue is that when I use the small front chain ring and the my smallest rear cog (where the chain is at the steepest angle possible on the bike) there is a very slight clacking when the chain wobbles and hits the front large chain ring--hardly an issue and when I'm on the road I can't hear it at all. Its only when I test the gearing in a quiet room.

So all in all I have it dialed in near perfect, crisp shifting and no rub or noise on anything else. Compared to my old bike this one is so quiet and stiff--road vibrations are really dampened and the handling is superb. As my first nice road bike I'm very satisfied.

At the moment I'm searching for used 100 mm and 110 mm stems. I'm really glad I didn't get the 52 cm--the fit on my 54 cm trek is pretty good but the reach is a little shorter than what I would like. I thought the 54 cm sizing on my vilano tuono would be a good reference for my fit but their 54 cm size is actually really huge (Recommended sizing for their 54 cm is 5' 7" to 5' 11"). I'm actually a little shy of 5' 9". After riding a bike that was too big for me for a year my reach was stretched out a lot.

On an another note can I put 25 mm tires on 23 mm rims? I eventually want to swap to wider tires that will handle better on dirt roads and rough pavement.
Bumping this for people looking at emonda sizing. As I just went through the process and I'm 5'10 (with cycling shoes on) and a long 34" inseam. Also have longer arms.

First off, Trek recommended sizing for a 54 is NOT 5'7"-5'11" and it wasn't at the time of this thread either. The correct size range is 5'6"-5'9". Also I'm sure a 52 might be great for racing at our body sizes here, but definitely not a normal thing as it was sort of pushed in this thread. I think OP def should be on a 54 still and the 52 woulda been too small. I was fitted to a 56 (range 5'8"-5'11.5") and it's a tad long but I need the stack height and with a 90mm stem it's perfect.
Old 10-29-17, 08:53 PM
helmet4000

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
im 5'5"

Trek Emonda ALR 5 in 50cm has a 52cm Effective top tube. Works perfect for me.

Only upgrade I did was to some Dura Ace C35 wheels. I am used to a 52/36 so I may upgrade the Emonda from the current 50/34 and then possibly put a 11/32 on the rear for tough hills.
Old 11-01-17, 06:59 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ejewels
Bumping this for people looking at emonda sizing. As I just went through the process and I'm 5'10 (with cycling shoes on) and a long 34" inseam. Also have longer arms.

First off, Trek recommended sizing for a 54 is NOT 5'7"-5'11" and it wasn't at the time of this thread either. The correct size range is 5'6"-5'9". Also I'm sure a 52 might be great for racing at our body sizes here, but definitely not a normal thing as it was sort of pushed in this thread. I think OP def should be on a 54 still and the 52 woulda been too small. I was fitted to a 56 (range 5'8"-5'11.5") and it's a tad long but I need the stack height and with a 90mm stem it's perfect.
That's why you compare bike models' stack-height relative to their reach.

I know were talking race bikes here, but there are brands who have such frame geo, like Merckx.

5'9.5" here, with 34". I like a low 360mm reach best and bit more stack than normal.