Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How much should my feet pivot on 1980s Look pedals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 01:05 PM
TangentMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a set of 1980s Look Red and White pedals, and as it has been a very long time since I bought them (new).
I don't remember how much my foot should be allowed to pivot side to side when clipped in.

I have taken up cycling again after many years off my bike, and it seems like I can pivot my heel left and right more than I remember in my teens.
This is not causing me any problems, I just want to know if I may be looking at getting a fresh set of delta cleats for my pedals...

Does anyone here know is there is an expected angle that I shouldn't be able to exceed?
G
Old 06-22-23, 01:46 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 667 Posts
If I correctly understand your question, your feet are "rotating" to the extent of the pedal's float capability, is that correct ?

what you might look at is the LATERAL placement of the cleats on the shoes.

Ideally the cleats should lie on the imaginary thrust axis of your foot. If that is the case then the cleats will not move very much.

At least in theory. I run SPD cleats with a few degrees of float. But I think paying attention.to the lateral, as well as the axial orientation of the cleat will partially address your question.

/markp
Old 06-22-23, 01:56 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
IIRC Look cleats came in a couple or 3 colors that indicated different amounts of float.

...googling...

Look Delta cleats
Red 9° float, Black 0° float.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-22-23, 02:24 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Sounds like you are using Delta cleats that allow 9 degrees of float. That's quite a bit of float, as a comparison the later Look Keo cleats (not compatible with your older Look pedals) are available in three float options, 0 degrees, 4.5 degrees, and 9 degrees. For the sake of one more comparison, the most popular clipless "standard" these days is Shimano SPD (uses small steel cleats, originally designed with mountain bikes in mind), those provide 4.5 degrees of float.
Old 06-22-23, 04:30 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Iirc

6° float on red cleats
0° float on black cleats

wear the plastic cleats and/or loosen the tensioner and you may get more than 6° before clipping-out.
Old 06-22-23, 07:40 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
The difference you're feeling between past and present could just be aging. Many legs start to bow in 50's and that's enough to tweak your pedal alignment.
Old 06-22-23, 08:28 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
There have also been some changes to the rear ends of Look Delta cleats over the years and this can affect how float works with their pedals. Their later Delta pedals had float control knobs on the back of the lever and this worked differently depending on which delta cleat version you were using, Earlier delta cleats had straight across rear edges while later delta cleats had a moderate semicircle cut out of the rear edge. This part of the cleat is right where the float system comes into play.
Old 06-23-23, 04:35 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Delta specs from the LOOK website. Keo added a gray cleat with 4.5 degrees of float

GENERAL Use Road & Indoor bike
Material Polyacetal & PTFE
Angular freedom 0° & 9° (Black & Red)
Lateral adjustment 4 mm
Longitudinal adjustment 12 mm

My personal experience is with Keos. The reds allowed too much movement for my liking. The grays are perfect when they’re brand new but they get a little floaty as they wear down. I always planned to try black but my riding has mellowed out to a point I don’t think it really matters for me. All the YMMV disclaimers apply.

Last edited by plonz; 06-23-23 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-28-23, 05:10 PM
TangentMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all!
I have paid a bit more attention to the angle and it is not as large as I had supposed (9 degrees seems about right).

To be fair, I have only been on about 15 rides since I dusted off the bike again....
G