Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic Crossroc freehub serviceable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 04:40 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts

Got these Mavic Crossroc for my son’ bike:

I pulled the axle off but the freehub doesn’t come off. On other Mavic wheels the freehub just slides off.

Does this freehub come off? Is there an easy way to lube the pawls other than dripping in lube at the gap?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-21-23, 12:14 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Two questions.

First, it's possible that this is like a Shimano, and held on by a drawbolt from the opposite side. Look for an internal hex.

Or, it's an older design and threaded onto the shell in which case you won't get it off without taking it apart.

As for servicing it: either run some solvent in at the gap, drain, repeat then allow to dry before oiling the same way. BITD there was a tool to force lube in, but you'll have to root through a boomer's toolbox to find one.

Or, you can disassemble it by unscrewing the outer bearing cup, but I don't consider that worth the effort.
Old 08-21-23, 06:45 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Is this a Mavic hub? The Crossroc normally looks like this:
https://technicalmanual.mavic.com/te...&macronu=19908

And a regular flange Mavic mountain hub looks like this:
https://technicalmanual.mavic.com/te...&macronu=31032

Does the hub say Mavic anywhere?

For that matter, does it say Mavic on the rim, either? There are lots of Crossroc decal sets available that look like what you have, so I would not be surprised if this was not a Mavic hub or rim.

Last edited by Kontact; 08-21-23 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-21-23, 11:27 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Is this a Mavic hub? The Crossroc normally looks like this:
https://technicalmanual.mavic.com/te...&macronu=19908

And a regular flange Mavic mountain hub looks like this:
https://technicalmanual.mavic.com/te...&macronu=31032

Does the hub say Mavic anywhere?

For that matter, does it say Mavic on the rim, either? There are lots of Crossroc decal sets available that look like what you have, so I would not be surprised if this was not a Mavic hub or rim.
It's an older Mavic wheelset from the early 2000's:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020204...el/v_croct.htm
Archive photo:

My hubs show the wrap-around Mavic UST Tubeless sticker just like in the archive photo.

It's impossible to be fakes because the rims have screwed in cups for each nipple and the rim bed has no holes for nipples (ie. no taping necessary).
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-21-23, 05:25 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Stick a large Allen wrench, probably 12-14 mm, inside the freehub body, and see if it catches on something. If it does, turn it lefty-loosy. The might be a hidden nut holding it to the hub body. Pull off carefully, as there might be loose spring-loaded pawls waiting to jump out. More likely, though, this will be an enclosed unit with a splined center ring and a rubber seal around the perimeter. Underneath will be the bearing. Be careful, the ball bearings are tiny.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 08-21-23 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-21-23, 06:25 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Freehub aside, those Mavic UST wheels from that time period are what helped successfully launch Stan's Notubes. Those early UST rims (and the accompanying Hutchinson and Michelin UST tires) kinda sucked in regard to holding air without inner tubes. Enter Stan's liquid latex sealant, Stan's conversion kits, etc etc.

Early Mavic UST wheels/rims were great except for the fact that they were relatively heavy, relatively expensive, and UST tires (which were also relatively heavy and expensive) were unreliable in holding air without an inner tube. The clincher (pun intended, lol) was when it became commonly known that you could get your tubeless UST tires and rims to actually work....if you added Stan's sealant.

Sorry, I had to go there. Now, I'll wait for all of the anti-tubeless comments, I guess. I've found in recent years that Orange Seal is actually a better sealant (IMO) than Stan's for a couple of key reasons, but I'll always give Stan's Notubes credit for truly starting the tubeless revolution for bicycle tires, particularly mountain bike tires.