Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo-Loading 18

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 08:05 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
On a happier note, I was told yesterday that the muscle pain from the shingles will most likely be gone within 18 months!!! So there's that to look forward to.
Old 10-06-16, 08:50 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Also, Ive had about enough of Strava consistently rounding down every single stat other than calories. They do it A LOT.

Today's ride:

Garmin: 100.99 miles, 5.48.43 moving time, 17.4mph avg. speed, 243W normalized power, total work 4,509kJ
Strava: 100.90 miles, 5.51.40 moving time, 17.2mph avg. speed, 224W average power, total work 4,499kJ

So Strava takes away a tenth of a mile and says I was moving for an additional 3 minutes, which then pulls my average speed down. Even the raw, unweighted power is usually lower on Strava, even though it's using the same exact power data. Yet they continue to use their (kJ x 1.1) formula for calories.
I think this is entirely due to how Strava do stop detection. The answer: poorly.
Old 10-06-16, 09:04 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
On a happier note, I was told yesterday that the muscle pain from the shingles will most likely be gone within 18 months!!! So there's that to look forward to.
"only" 18 months? Hope it's much quicker for you. I'm sure those new wheels will speed up recovery!
Old 10-06-16, 09:40 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You guys are sooooo funny! I just wish you weren't so right! But this crap is the stuff I expect from @TrojanHorse. I used to like you two.

It's important to have allies in the fight against darkness.
Old 10-06-16, 09:41 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Speaking of "fight"... anybody watching West World? I just caught the first episode last night. It doesn't have Yul Brenner but it looks really interesting so far!
Old 10-06-16, 10:17 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

I just don't know enough about wheel technology to know what's best for my 240 lb. butt. Velomine has Velocity A23's with Ultegra hubs pretty cheap.
I've got a couple of sets of Velomine wheels, they're fine. I like the H PLUS SON Archetype rims, personally, the rims are fantastic quality.

My Velocity Rims have about 10000 miles on them, and are looking decidedly worn out, the brake tracks are pretty uneven and bowed in and they make my brakes judder now, both front and back. The welds on the Velocities look pretty crap, especially when you compare to the Archetypes (you can't find the weld). I don't think I'd buy a Velocity rim again.

I just sold my cross bike (selling it for just $100 less than I paid for it almost 3 years ago!), and decided to spend the money on a quality wheelset. I went with the November Bicycles built wheelset with White Industries T11 hubs (in blue), and Kinlin XR-31T rims, as recommended by them for someone of my weight. Paid $695 delivered. Looked a the Boyd Altamonts, but for the same price as the November you get Taiwanese hubs with Aluminum freehubs (which I chew through), vs Made in the USA White Industries with Titanium Freehubs.

Sorry I'm talking too much about cycling in this thread.

I like burritos.

Last edited by dr_lha; 10-06-16 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 10:27 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I like burritos.
Me too. Of course this is why we're in this forum and discussing wheel strength in this thread!
Old 10-06-16, 10:34 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Me too. Of course this is why we're in this forum and discussing wheel strength in this thread!
Exactly. Although in PA I'm not getting fat on burritos, because they're pretty crap around here. I did have one yesterday, due to being hung-over from my cycling club's end of year party yesterday, and had to slum it at Moe's. It didn't help the hang over, so I went and rode my bike instead, which both burned off some of those carbs, and had a much better effect on my mind and body. There I am, talking about cycling again!
Old 10-06-16, 10:44 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I went with the November Bicycles built wheelset with White Industries T11 hubs (in blue), and Kinlin XR-31T rims, as recommended by them for someone of my weight. Paid $695 delivered. Looked a the Boyd Altamonts, but for the same price as the November you get Taiwanese hubs with Aluminum freehubs (which I chew through), vs Made in the USA White Industries with Titanium Freehubs.
Thanks for the insights. I your post in the Road thread about my wheel rub and went and took a look at November. It's definitely an option. I'm still pretty intrigued by the RS81's, too. I just don't like spending money!
Old 10-06-16, 10:45 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I like burritos.
I'm sure I'll get ripped for this, but this is the C/A and I'm used to it. Breakfast burritos are my downfall.
Old 10-06-16, 10:48 AM
dr_lha

Thanks for the insights. I your post in the Road thread about my wheel rub and went and took a look at November. It's definitely an option. I'm still pretty intrigued by the RS81's, too. I just don't like spending money!
RS81s look nice, but you'd have to give me some pretty good evidence that they're Clyde worthy with that few spokes. My last encounter with a 24 spoke rear wheel didn't end well. The RS81 only has 21 spokes. Although I have ridden a 21 spoke rear wheel, it was only because 3 of the spokes broke on my 24 spoke wheel.
Old 10-06-16, 10:55 AM
dr_lha

I'm sure I'll get ripped for this, but this is the C/A and I'm used to it. Breakfast burritos are my downfall.
For me it was the carb monster - the papas burrito. Sold out of a cart that sat just outside the physics building at UC Santa Barbara, so I didn't even have to walk very far to get it. Tortilla, Rice, Potatoes, Beans, Cheese and salsa, weighing in at about 5 lbs. I had no chance against that.
Old 10-06-16, 10:58 AM
SugarMonkey

Bikes: MTB, hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suck!

I had a case/bout of shingles on my hand (apparently a really weird place to get them) right where your hand rests when you go to write something. Just the pain from that tiny patch was enough to make me want to punch things so I can't even imagine.
Old 10-06-16, 11:10 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SugarMonkey
Suck!

I had a case/bout of shingles on my hand (apparently a really weird place to get them) right where your hand rests when you go to write something. Just the pain from that tiny patch was enough to make me want to punch things so I can't even imagine.
That doesn't sound like fun. Mine was in the very lower, lower low right back. You know, the muscles that stretch and work when you ride a bike (in my case, thrice a month it seems!).
Old 10-06-16, 02:58 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

There I am, talking about cycling again!
Stop it. This is the carb loading thread.

Breakfast burritos are my downfall.
Eating manna from heaven doesn't classify as "downfall"

when you ride a bike
On about riding a bike again? In this thread?
Old 10-06-16, 03:00 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
PhotoJoe made me do it!
Old 10-06-16, 03:03 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Eating manna from heaven doesn't classify as "downfall"

On about riding a bike again? In this thread?
I thought the use of the multi-quote tool was banned in this thread, too!
Old 10-06-16, 03:04 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
PhotoJoe made me do it!
If I had a nickel for every time someone said that.....

I'd be riding ENVE wheels by now......

Thrice a month!
Old 10-06-16, 03:38 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
If I had a nickel for every time someone said that.....

I'd be riding ENVE wheels by now......

Thrice a month!

Enve wheels? who makes them********** them aren't for us Clydes Now Rolf Prima wheels (the Vigor RS) are the way to roll
Old 10-06-16, 03:49 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Disc brakes, FTW, y'all. I can run any niner wheel I want. And I do! My Iodines might not be the lightest wheels out there, but I sure ain't scurred of no potholes.

I'm also not foolhardy enough to think aero wheels would make any difference for me... not so long as I'm running big 'ol 700x32s, at any rate.
Old 10-06-16, 04:21 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
Enve wheels? who makes them********** them aren't for us Clydes Now Rolf Prima wheels (the Vigor RS) are the way to roll
The same people that made my plastic fork.

From their website:
Do your wheels have a rider weight limit?
Because of the molded spoke hole technology in ENVE wheels, we do not have a rider weight limit on any of our wheels. Molding the spoke holes allows us to separate the carbon fibers instead of drilling through them which effectively breaks the fibers and weakens them. This allows us to run a much higher spoke tension as well, which makes for a much stiffer build.

I'm glad you like your Rolfs. I'm not doubting your success, but 16 spokes on the front and 20 on the back?
Old 10-06-16, 04:23 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I'm also not foolhardy enough to think aero wheels would make any difference for me... not so long as I'm running big 'ol 700x32s, at any rate.
Aero wheels are supposed to be a noticable improvement over 22 mph, which would help me.......uh.....carry the one.......ALMOST NEVER!
Old 10-06-16, 04:35 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bite me.
Old 10-06-16, 04:42 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
The same people that made my plastic fork.

From their website:
Do your wheels have a rider weight limit?
Because of the molded spoke hole technology in ENVE wheels, we do not have a rider weight limit on any of our wheels. Molding the spoke holes allows us to separate the carbon fibers instead of drilling through them which effectively breaks the fibers and weakens them. This allows us to run a much higher spoke tension as well, which makes for a much stiffer build.

I'm glad you like your Rolfs. I'm not doubting your success, but 16 spokes on the front and 20 on the back?

I have the Vigor RS OEM which is 20 spokes front and rear. The weight limit is at 350, but the guy I talked to said he would call me back and went to talk to one of their engineers. His feedback was that the engineer figured they would work well for me.

So far I really like the ride quality on them
Old 10-06-16, 09:28 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Home ownership can suck. We have had a slow draining bathroom. Craig was going to get a snake and do that. BUT today things STOPPED. Called plumber. $3000 bill later.... ugh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.