Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Press fit external bb Phil Wood bearings for Klein

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Press fit external bb Phil Wood bearings for Klein

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 05:16 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Here you can see the clearance with my triple crank with the 7mm drive side spacer removed:

The 30 tooth chainring overlaps the drive side bearing nicely still leaving plenty of clearance. Hopefully the chainline will be good through most of the gears.

I’m getting pretty excited. I’ve got several triple drivetrains that I was not sure which bike they would be used on. Now I know - both this Performance and my white Quantum are both going to be run with triples without the spacer. This will allow me to not need to face the bottom bracket down.

Last edited by masi61; 07-28-20 at 05:20 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 07-28-20, 06:02 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 857 Posts
Wow, obscura indeed!

I was thinking about the 7mm plastic spacer all along, but wondered if in the end if the crankarm pedal ends would be close to the same distance from the chainstays and from the bike centerline on both sides(???)

These modern "fixed-width" cranksets with their dearth of bb spindle-length options, has had me doing the asymmetric installation on many a modern bike for chainline considerations. And this bike with 126mm rear (as on my own Performance) does sort of beg for some chainline adjustability.

When the time comes to change my bike from 6400 cranks to compact cranks, I will first look long and hard for a 110mm crankset that will go straight onto the stock Klein spindle and have arms and chainrings fall right where they need to be. Thinking that one of the many different good old triples having removable granny-ring spacers (such as the Specialized triple, the Sugino AT triple or even the old MT60 Deore triple) will accomplish this.
BTW it's good to see that these frames appear to have decent chainring clearance relief at the driveside chainstay.

Never give up seems to be the lesson from your modernized Klein project.
Old 07-29-20, 05:39 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Wow, obscura indeed!

I was thinking about the 7mm plastic spacer all along, but wondered if in the end if the crankarm pedal ends would be close to the same distance from the chainstays and from the bike centerline on both sides(???)

These modern "fixed-width" cranksets with their dearth of bb spindle-length options, has had me doing the asymmetric installation on many a modern bike for chainline considerations. And this bike with 126mm rear (as on my own Performance) does sort of beg for some chainline adjustability.

When the time comes to change my bike from 6400 cranks to compact cranks, I will first look long and hard for a 110mm crankset that will go straight onto the stock Klein spindle and have arms and chainrings fall right where they need to be. Thinking that one of the many different good old triples having removable granny-ring spacers (such as the Specialized triple, the Sugino AT triple or even the old MT60 Deore triple) will accomplish this.
BTW it's good to see that these frames appear to have decent chainring clearance relief at the driveside chainstay.

Never give up seems to be the lesson from your modernized Klein project.
You could always do a triplizer for a square taper double crankset. The Willow ones are about gone now. I think that company is out of business. I believe Specialities TA makes a triplizer for 130 BCD double cranks, and possibly IRD too. Or as you said, Specialized, Sugino AT or Deore (LX, XT) used cranksets that have been rescued. Knowing me I would want to polish a used crank, but I need to learn to just get things working properly so I can ride them right away and quit worrying about if it has a polished finish or not. Spa Cycles in England is a touring specific bike shop that sells a lot a triple cranks new, some at very good prices.

My Performance accepts 130 spaced wheels, so does the Quantum. I’m not sore if someone cold set these. I did not think oversized aluminum took very kindly to cold setting. But I see no ripples in the tubes, they are stout as can be. The long wheelbase Performance will be fun to build up since there is clearance for fenders and I have some handmade wooden ones I got from eBay when a shop was cleaning house.