Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Took your advice and LOVING it!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-05-15, 01:51 PM
steelhorse51

Bikes: 2003 Diamondback Topanga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I put the new Kenda Kwest on my old Mountain Bike and am absolutely loving it! I look forward to riding everyday now and can see my endurance rising Thank you all!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150428_194647_resized_1.jpg (99.0 KB, 131 views)
Old 05-05-15, 01:52 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Good stuff!
Old 05-05-15, 04:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's almost time for a roadie!
Old 05-05-15, 05:44 PM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
It's almost time for a roadie!
I have a few more pounds to shred and some gut to lose before a roadie! But that's my goal
Old 05-06-15, 12:17 AM
ChrisZog

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tapping the gut with my knees will just be a gentle reminder to keep working. That said I'm still waiting on my roadie too. Got about 40-50 to lose before I start test riding/demoing. I assume that riding on the hoods around 260-275 on an endurance bike should be fine. I may not want to ride on the drops but I assume most clydes don't spend much time in the drops when they first get to their starting road bike weight.
Old 05-06-15, 05:07 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Once a bike fits and allows a comfortable position, tires really are the most important upgrade you can make.
Old 05-06-15, 05:53 AM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the tires making a HUGE difference! It was almost unbelievable. I am going to ride my home made hybrid for the rest of this year.....hopefully get back down to around 280 and then start eye balling road bikes. I am really having alot of fun with this. So much better then starting at a wall walking the treadmill as I did years ago. I just had to get over the "haha look at the fat guy on a bike" thought in my head. I put my helmet on, glasses and headphones and say who cares what others think.....least I'm out here instead of on the couch eating chips!!
Old 05-06-15, 08:41 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisZog
Tapping the gut with my knees will just be a gentle reminder to keep working. That said I'm still waiting on my roadie too. Got about 40-50 to lose before I start test riding/demoing. I assume that riding on the hoods around 260-275 on an endurance bike should be fine. I may not want to ride on the drops but I assume most clydes don't spend much time in the drops when they first get to their starting road bike weight.
I'm doing that on my road bike (5'5" 250#). And you're right, that it is good incentive to add miles to my rides.

GH
Old 05-06-15, 06:13 PM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fell just short of 5 miles today. Decided that was a good stopping point. Seen as I just started in don't want to push too far too fast.
Attached Images
Old 05-06-15, 06:54 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisZog
Just depends on whether you can breathe or not, I test rode a bottom end 7 speed Sportiff at 250 and 5'8".....I could not breathe well on the hoods even with all the spacers under the stem and the stem "up".

I need to work on riding the drops more :-)......I have the stem "down" now and only about 5mm of spacer left under it.
Old 05-06-15, 06:57 PM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by steelhorse51

Fell just short of 5 miles today. Decided that was a good stopping point. Seen as I just started in don't want to push too far too fast.

I just just cannot imagine that elevation change :-)....totally unlike my world around here :-).
Old 05-09-15, 08:06 PM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got some tube patches for the bike. After my 7 mile ride early this morning I noticed a few things......it was time for some padded cycling shorts and my pedals were loosening up. I'm thinking of getting a platform/clippless pedal. I know nothing of clippless pedals so any info would be great. I want a good quality pedal....somthing that will last. Thanks!
Old 05-09-15, 08:22 PM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got two sets of dual sided shimano spd's, both have been great. Lots of folks love the wellgo which are very similar to the shimano spd's but cheaper.

im pretty sure shimano makes a dual sided version too ?
Old 05-11-15, 07:00 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like crank brothers w/ mountain shoes... Quite walkable.
Old 05-12-15, 07:31 AM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I may go to my lbs and check a few options out. I hate buying shoes on line because sizes vary so much.
I am creeping closer to my first 10 mile ride!!! I put in 7 miles yesterday's and felt great! This weekend I think I'm going to find a bike path and crank some miles on.
Old 05-13-15, 07:15 AM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So......I did a short 5 mile ride this morning as it was cold and windy but I started to hear a growling......at first I thought maybe a brake was dragging but when I got home and went slowly around the driveway I believe it's comming from the crank bearing? Does anyone know what's in there or if they are even serviceable? Bike is in my sig
Old 05-13-15, 07:19 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

So......I did a short 5 mile ride this morning as it was cold and windy but I started to hear a growling......at first I thought maybe a brake was dragging but when I got home and went slowly around the driveway I believe it's comming from the crank bearing? Does anyone know what's in there or if they are even serviceable? Bike is in my sig
My advice is to check for rubbing and misalignment all over the bike. Noises can be very hard to pin down, and often things that sound like the bottom bracket are something else.

Growling is certainly a strange sound. Usually BB issues causes clicking or clunking, but it's possible I guess your BB has completely failed. Looking at the photo above (there's nothing in your sig), I would guess your bike has a fairly standard cartridge based square taper BB. Those are easily and cheaply replaced with the right tools and know how. If you don't have the tools, then I suggest taking it to your local bike shop, as the repair will likely be cheaper than buying the tools.
Old 05-13-15, 07:41 AM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
My advice is to check for rubbing and misalignment all over the bike. Noises can be very hard to pin down, and often things that sound like the bottom bracket are something else.

Growling is certainly a strange sound. Usually BB issues causes clicking or clunking, but it's possible I guess your BB has completely failed. Looking at the photo above (there's nothing in your sig), I would guess your bike has a fairly standard cartridge based square taper BB. Those are easily and cheaply replaced with the right tools and know how. If you don't have the tools, then I suggest taking it to your local bike shop, as the repair will likely be cheaper than buying the tools.
Sorry, I thought it was in there. It is a 2003 Diamondback Topanga. Shimano FC-M572 Crank Set.
Old 05-13-15, 08:18 AM
dr_lha

Sorry, I thought it was in there. It is a 2003 Diamondback Topanga. Shimano FC-M572 Crank Set.
OK, that's an Octalink crankset, not square taper. Same advice applies though.
Old 05-13-15, 09:07 PM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at it when I got home and I believe it's the chain rubbing the front derailleur. I think I can figure out the adjustments but I may take it in to have it tuned and get a new chain.
Old 05-14-15, 07:49 AM
gunner65

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I used to commute I had really good luck with the Kenda Kwests. I put several thousand miles on one set that never gave me any trouble.
Old 05-14-15, 09:35 AM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at it when I got home and I believe it's the chain rubbing the front derailleur. I think I can figure out the adjustments but I may take it in to have it tuned and get a new chain.
The easiest solution is to make sure you are not "cross-chained". You don't want to use the smallest front "chainring" (a.k.a. "ring") while in the smallest rear gear (a.k.a. "cog") or the opposite (largest/largest). It puts the chain at an awkward angle and wears out the gears and chain faster. It also just about guarantees you will be rubbing one side of the front derailleur (FD). If you were not in one of these extreme combinations then you might need to adjust your FD. There are about a million YouTube videos on how to do minor adjustments yourself. Definitely try to do that before going to the bike store. And DEFINITELY do the adjustment before you consider buying a new chain.
Old 05-14-15, 12:13 PM
steelhorse51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. Do I need a stand to make these adjustments? My lbs is going to charge $50 to run through the whole bike clean, oil and make all the right adjustments.
Old 05-14-15, 01:33 PM
dr_lha

Does it rub in all positions of the front derailleur? I.e. in all 3 chainrings? My advice before you take it to any shop is to try adjusting the tension on your front derailleur cable. You can do this by turning the little knob that is usually where the FD cable housing comes out of the shifter. Turning it so it pushes outwards should add tension to the cable, which may have stretched.
Old 05-14-15, 02:23 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. Do I need a stand to make these adjustments? My lbs is going to charge $50 to run through the whole bike clean, oil and make all the right adjustments.
Couple of quick questions.

1. Did you buy your bike from the LBS? If so, remind them of this when they say they want to charge you $50 for adjustments. Most LBS will do minor adjustments like this for free, for some period of time, if you bought the bike from them. But you may have to remind them that you bought the bike from them to get the free adjustment.

2. Is the rubbing happening on the small gear of the big gear? If it's happening on the small gear, does your shifter have a trim setting? On my bike, I find I have to trim the front between the bigger cogs and the smaller cogs on the rear. The middle 2 cogs will work in either trim without rubbing.

3. If this doesn't help do a search on you tube for "front derailleur adjustment". It might not hurt to add the specific model of your FD.

4. While it's not recommended, some people just turn their bike upside down to work on the FD/RD. If you do this, you might want to put some towels down under the bike to cushion the seat and handlebars.
GH

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.