Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trainer Stand for 3 Speeds?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 08:38 AM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a trainer stand that will fit my old 3 speeds. I have a 68 Raleigh Sports and a 70 Raleigh Twenty. I'm considering an inexpensive trainer stand like the Conquer Magnetic.

These kind of stands are obviously designed for modern bikes, and come with a quick release skewer to fit the cups in the trainer stand. My question is: will the cups fit the Raleigh axle?

I did a search on the forums, and found one thread where a guy said he was able to make a (unnamed) trainer stand work with a 3 speed by removing the indicator chain and the long axle nut. The trade off was the bike reverted to single speed, which is OK with me. Since details were rather vague, I wonder if anyone has any experience or advice regarding fitting inexpensive trainer stands to 3 speeds. Thanks in advance! -
Old 03-19-20, 08:53 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
I can't remember which trainer manufacturer made one but somebody made an adapter for THEIR trainer to accommodate IGHs. I found one online but it wouldn't fit my dads trainer. So I suggest you find the adapter and get a trainer that fits it. (I don't recall the brands that I was dealing with.)
Old 03-19-20, 09:18 AM
w1gfh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, looked around a bit more, and this adapter may be an option.
Old 03-19-20, 09:44 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
You could get a set of rollers to avoid the issue, but rollers do take a bit to learn to ride, it is like riding a bike, but it also isn't. They pop up used around me for ~$60 now and then.
Old 03-19-20, 09:57 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The problem with those bikes is the indicator chain for the shift cable that exits the right side of the hub and goes through the nut. You'd need something with a slot to clear that in order to make it work, something like the socket for an automotive oxygen sensor. Might take some tweaking to cut it down and make it all work.

The alternative would be to use a trainer like the old Vetta that did not support the bike by the rear axle ends, but then you have to remove the front wheel and the kickstand in order to mount the bike on the trainer.

Last edited by thumpism; 03-19-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 10:14 AM
w1gfh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
The problem with those bikes is the indicator chain for the shift cable that exits the right side of the hub and goes through the nut. You'd need something with a slot to clear that in order to make it work, something like the socket for an automotive oxygen sensor.
Theoretically I could remove the indicator chain and the long axle nut. Yes, the shifter no longer functions and the bike reverts to single speed, but that's OK with me.
Old 03-19-20, 10:14 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I can't remember which trainer manufacturer made one but somebody made an adapter for THEIR trainer to accommodate IGHs. I found one online but it wouldn't fit my dads trainer. So I suggest you find the adapter and get a trainer that fits it. (I don't recall the brands that I was dealing with.)
I need a way to put an IGH on my Wahoo and on my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. The Kurt can handle QRs from 126 mm (maybe down toe 120?) up to 130 in my use. The Wahoo Snap can't take a quick release bike with OLD less than 126 mm.
Old 03-19-20, 10:21 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by w1gfh
Theoretically I could remove the indicator chain and the long axle nut. Yes, the shifter no longer functions and the bike reverts to single speed, but that's OK with me.
It reverts to the highest gear, the one that's hardest to pedal. Just sayin'.
Old 03-19-20, 03:23 PM
w1gfh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
It reverts to the highest gear, the one that's hardest to pedal. Just sayin'.
Good point. I have some junk indicator chains/spindles that fit the SA 3 speed hub. Probably could saw and drill one to create a jam-lock that keeps it in the middle gear. (I don’t have the means to cut and drill a hardened steel socket to make an adapter as you suggested above)

Last edited by w1gfh; 03-19-20 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 03:43 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by w1gfh
Good point. I have some junk indicator chains/spindles that fit the SA 3 speed hub. Probably could saw and drill one to create a jam-lock that keeps it in the middle gear. (I don’t have the means to cut and drill a hardened steel socket to make an adapter as you suggested above)
A spoke (I'm not sure what gauge) will screw into the hub in place of the indicator chain, I'm not sure what gauge, but I did see that done back in the 1980's, the thread pitch is possibly a bit different, I have not done this myself, but its worth tinkering with if you have some spokes around so you don't have to modify an indicator chain.
Old 03-20-20, 05:25 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 513 Posts
If you have a Shimano 3 speed hub, you can remove the bell-crank and use an acorn nut to hold the shift rod in whatever gear you like.