Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken Forks Peugeot Bicycle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 05:46 PM
vinoandkitty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys,

I'm new to the website. I've posted because I recently broke the forks on my best friends vintage fixed gear road bike. It's a Peugeot, not entirely sure on the model. I've looking to buy replacement forks and then fix up the paint job myself, does anybody have any information that could be helpful in regards to what sizes i'm looking for, or what I would need to measure. Anyone had a similar experience, any info would help I just really don't know where to star.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-20, 06:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
You have to know steerer length, steerer diameter, what threads it has (Peugeot could be French threaded depending on year), stem diameter, fork rake, axle to crown length, nutted or recessed brakes, dropout width - that should about cover it.

Try to find out what year and model. Might be best to post in Classic & Vintage as well.

https://calfeedesign.com/geometry-of-bike-handling/
Old 04-30-20, 08:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Some of us wonder about the "broke the forks" story. Not so much because we collect stories but because often there's secondary damage that non experienced people don't know about. So what happened? Andy
Old 04-30-20, 08:28 PM
vinoandkitty

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello Andy,

My foot got stuck in the wheel and I went over the handlebars. It was a nasty fall, very painful, I took it all to the bike shop and the rest of the bike seems fine, it just seems that I need the replacement forks.
Old 04-30-20, 08:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Thanks for the honest, if embarrassing, answer. If one rides long enough these things will happen, sometimes more then once. (No foot in wheel but other "stupid" stuff for me). Smart in getting a pro opinion on the rest of the bike. So the fork actually broke? Or just bent badly? Do you know their material?

Depending on the vintage/specs of the fork it might be a French dimensioned one, or not. This is important because the interfacing parts (stem, headset) will have to be compatible with the new fork, or get replaced also. Andy
Old 05-01-20, 05:21 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
A photo of the side of the bike with all the gears (drive side) and a few of the fork and headset would go a long way.

Depending on the year a Peugeot may have had French threads and a French sized stem. If this is one of the lower end Peugeots with french metric sized parts it may end up being easier and more cost effective to replace the frame with something you find on craigslist. If it is a PX-10 that may be a challenge to find a proper fork.

A later peugeot would be easier to replace as some of them had chrome forks and more modern sizing (british thread).
Old 05-01-20, 12:20 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
You can load a picture onto google pics or some other hosting site, and either post the url here (https colon slash slash format) or email it to someone here who can post a pic. Or do 5 more posts (including filler posts) and post the pic. There are people here who can id the bike with just a few pics. Good to include a pic of the frame that shows components like the rear derailleur and crank.

Hope you're ok.
Old 05-01-20, 12:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Are you certain your best friend cares to have it fixed? I have an late 70's Raleigh Competition and a '91 Schwinn Paramount. If someone wrecked them, I wouldn't give a hoot. Although I doubt I'd take it from a friend, I'd rather have the money put toward something I really was more interested in currently. Not some old bikes that served me well and their time is past..... even if they do look better than bikes today.