Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I could have been a pro

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I could have been a pro

Old 06-05-20, 09:59 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I could have been a pro

Almost 30 years ago when I was a below average Cat 3 I thought I could be a pro if I just enjoyed biking in the cold and rain more, and had time to ride more in general. But now in my 50's I've been prescribed prednisone, and I think if I would have been give this stuff back then, I could have been a pro for sure, I totally get doping now. I feel like I'm 15 years younger. To bad my prescription is only for a week and a half, I can't remember feeling this good.

Of Course I don't endorse doping or steroids, but wow do I feel good on my bike right now.
Likes For dougphoto:
Old 06-06-20, 04:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Don’t worry. Corticosteroids can get you a little high, but they’re the exactly the wrong flavor for enhancing performance. Talk to—or just look at—someone who’s been on methylprednisolone for a year or two.

Hope whatever it it gets better fast!
Old 06-06-20, 04:45 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
Almost 30 years ago when I was a below average Cat 3 I thought I could be a pro if I just enjoyed biking in the cold and rain more, and had time to ride more in general. But now in my 50's I've been prescribed prednisone, and I think if I would have been give this stuff back then, I could have been a pro for sure, I totally get doping now. I feel like I'm 15 years younger. To bad my prescription is only for a week and a half, I can't remember feeling this good.

Of Course I don't endorse doping or steroids, but wow do I feel good on my bike right now.
As long as no one who was faster than you to start with never doped, yeah, you could have been pro
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-06-20, 04:49 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Corticosteroids can get you a little high, but they’re the exactly the wrong flavor for enhancing performance. Talk to—or just look at—someone who’s been on methylprednisolone for a year or two.
<==Been on prednisone for years. Can confirm. Avoid.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 06-06-20, 04:54 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Imagine pills of testosterone
​​​​​​cortisone
and microdosage of EPO
Likes For dr_max:
Old 06-06-20, 05:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,289 Times in 7,228 Posts
You could have had class. You could have been a contender. You could have been somebody. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

Seriously...What Mo wrote. I’m no doctor, but I believe you’re confusing corticosteroids with metabolic steroids.
Old 06-06-20, 06:36 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I had a medical truck-up last year, where the doctor prescribed me a far-too-heavy dose of prednisolone for far too long (for an eye inflammation related to an old MMA injury). I was on this course for about 3 weeks or so before it was changed, but it completely destroyed my fitness. I was waking up at night with cramps in all sorts of places, my running stride went for a toss and from being able to enjoyably run for 90-120 min, i couldnt run for 3-4 min without stopping. Took me an additional 4-5 weeks before i felt well enough to resume training normally - and i had to rebuild my entire running fitness from near-zero. Weirdly, my cycling, while affected, didnt deteriorate as badly.
Old 06-06-20, 06:40 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Don’t worry. Corticosteroids can get you a little high, but they’re the exactly the wrong flavor for enhancing performance. Talk to—or just look at—someone who’s been on methylprednisolone for a year or two.

Hope whatever it it gets better fast!
My 7 yr old grand-daughter was put on prednisone for a very serious issue she has. In about a month she went from 45 lbs to 65 lbs. She could not stop eating and she had been a light and picky eater.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-06-20, 06:48 AM
dougphoto

Originally Posted by guadzilla
I had a medical truck-up last year, where the doctor prescribed me a far-too-heavy dose of prednisolone for far too long (for an eye inflammation related to an old MMA injury). I was on this course for about 3 weeks or so before it was changed, but it completely destroyed my fitness. I was waking up at night with cramps in all sorts of places, my running stride went for a toss and from being able to enjoyably run for 90-120 min, i couldnt run for 3-4 min without stopping. Took me an additional 4-5 weeks before i felt well enough to resume training normally - and i had to rebuild my entire running fitness from near-zero. Weirdly, my cycling, while affected, didnt deteriorate as badly.
Wow! that sounds horrible. Fortunately for me, it's been opposite I'm pain free for the first time since I don't know when and setting PR's every time I go out, easier to ride with no pain I guess. I"m bummed I only have a few days left. It's amazing how different drugs affect different people. If I can ask how are your wrists? I boxed for a long time, and wrist pain on anything over an hour and a half or so gets pretty horrible. Sometimes I think I should get my old wraps out and wrap my wrists for longer rides.
Old 06-06-20, 07:29 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Wow! that sounds horrible. Fortunately for me, it's been opposite I'm pain free for the first time since I don't know when and setting PR's every time I go out, easier to ride with no pain I guess. I"m bummed I only have a few days left. It's amazing how different drugs affect different people. If I can ask how are your wrists? I boxed for a long time, and wrist pain on anything over an hour and a half or so gets pretty horrible. Sometimes I think I should get my old wraps out and wrap my wrists for longer rides.
My wrists are ok, thankfully - we didnt do as much work with heavy pads as you boxers did, so that probably helped prevent too much damage. Lots of other things randomly start hurting, though...

Glad to know the meds helped you - I suspect the degree of dosage probably plays a big role. Here's hoping it stays pain free even after the meds stop!
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-06-20, 07:58 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts

I have an autoimmune disease of some sort and was once prescribed prednisone for one reason or another. I wound up getting shingles because of it. shingles sucked big time, some nasty pain that lasted for about a month. hope you have had the shingles vaccine.
Old 06-06-20, 08:01 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Everyone thinks that way until they ride with a actual Cat 1 rider and find out just how fast those freaks of nature are. How do I know, I have ridden with one that never broke a sweat and made me look like I was changing a tire! I am not fast and avg. depending on my ride terrain from 16-19 mph. He literally smoked me and was not trying.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 06-06-20, 11:08 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
My group used to ride with a couple of top level riders, not even pros. One of these guys would come out towing his lab. And better not challenge him on a hill, because he'd drop you like rock, lab and all. He didn't like having to do that to people, he just wanted to ride his bike. Only in winter, just to get out and ride a little. In summer they did serious stuff.

A couple years ago, I came down with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). My rheumatologist put me on a declining dose of predisone for a year. Except for the pain being gone and having my athletic ability restored, I didn't feel any different. I was about the same as normal.. All went well, it hasn't come back. My case was a little different, because I needed that hormone to be normal. It was exogenous, but I wasn't like I was doping. PMR is essentially the absence of that endogenous hormone, no one knows what causes it, they only know how to treat it. Weird. Sometimes I'm glad to be a part of my generation.

When I started treatment with a high dose, I commented to my doctor that I felt better immediately. He said, "Yeah, I could prescribe that dose to a bone cancer patient and they'd feel fine."
Old 06-06-20, 11:33 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Interesting. The few times I've had to take prednisone, I absolutely hated how it made me feel. The last time a doc wanted to put me on it, I pushed back and after a bit, he said it wasn't absolutely necessary.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-06-20, 11:38 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You could have had class. You could have been a contender. You could have been somebody. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.
Ha! I came in with the same words going in my mind!

dougphoto, I hope it clears soon and you’re off the meds.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 06-06-20, 11:58 AM
dougphoto

Originally Posted by spelger
I have an autoimmune disease of some sort and was once prescribed prednisone for one reason or another. I wound up getting shingles because of it. shingles sucked big time, some nasty pain that lasted for about a month. hope you have had the shingles vaccine.

eeek I haven’t had that vaccine. Fingers crossed
Old 06-06-20, 12:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I went to Florida for a training camp BITD. I did leave with doubts about my abilities, and also I caught mono while I was there so the whole exercise was pointless. It took a year to recover. I have often thought that was one of the luckiest things that ever happened to me. Decades later, I realized I have asthma, so it's no wonder my performance was capped at something less than pro level.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-06-20, 12:05 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by guadzilla
I had a medical truck-up last year, where the doctor prescribed me a far-too-heavy dose of prednisolone for far too long
How much?
Old 06-06-20, 12:31 PM
dougphoto

Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Everyone thinks that way until they ride with a actual Cat 1 rider and find out just how fast those freaks of nature are. How do I know, I have ridden with one that never broke a sweat and made me look like I was changing a tire! I am not fast and avg. depending on my ride terrain from 16-19 mph. He literally smoked me and was not trying.

totally right? There where some cat 1’s on my team sometimes we ride with them. So fast so very fast.
Old 06-06-20, 12:52 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My only brush with unintentional PEDs was because I was feeling congested one morning, I popped a 90mg pseudoephedrine before leaving on my ride. For starting reference, I have absolutely no tolerance for medications-- for me, 1 Benadryl is like a knockout pill, and a Tylenol w/ codeine = 8 hour coma.

So I felt like I had swallowed lightning. I did a 30-mile loop @ 20.4mph and an average HR of 162bpm, just a shade below my LTHR. And I felt grrrrrreaaat. Not even tired... until later that day, when it wore off. I think I went to bed at 8pm.
Old 06-06-20, 12:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Interesting. The few times I've had to take prednisone, I absolutely hated how it made me feel. The last time a doc wanted to put me on it, I pushed back and after a bit, he said it wasn't absolutely necessary.
Many docs overdose. You could try one 2mg tab/day, taper to 1mg. They make them that small for a reason.
Old 06-06-20, 01:05 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Because of asthma and chronic sinus infections, I've been off and on Pred many times for extended periods. Yeah, it Did make me feel great pretty quickly. But as mentioned, I did gain weight, and it caused a noticeable change in temper. One time I got so mad, I broke an antique wooden chair of my wife's into little pieces with my hands. She prefers that I don't take it any more. I try not to.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 06-06-20, 02:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Incorrect.
Old 06-06-20, 03:55 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
One time I got so mad, I broke an antique wooden chair of my wife's into little pieces with my hands.
Anger management.
Old 06-06-20, 10:24 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
How much?
Off memory, 120 or 160mg a day for 3 weeks (I am 80kg). My main ophthalmologist lost his marbles when he heard that (I have moved cities and wasnt able to consult him initially).

(I havent even gotten into the 2 wholly unnecessary antibiotic injections directly into my eyeballs - which is EXACTLY as much fun as it sounds).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.