Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM AXS/QUARQ/chainring compatibility

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-22-20, 05:17 PM
flx100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Hi,
I have Force AXS. (12 speed with flattop chain).
I would like to see if there are alternatives to using Force or Red powermeters, because A: I dont like the plasticy look of Force, and B: I would like to be able to change chain rings separately. (Red wont allow that)

Since i have dub bottom bracket and 8 bolt spider interface (obviously) my question is, will this work:
https://www.sram.com/en/quarq/models/pm-dz-spdr-d1
Either with my existing Force crankarms, or with these crankarms:
https://www.sram.com/en/quarq/models/fc-qrq-assy-d1
And if so: what chain line would i get? With the compatible chain rings for Flattop chains (such as these: X-CarboRing 48 x 110 X-AXS - X-CarboRing - Chainrings - Products) would i be able to achieve the correct 45mm chainline? (this is apparently important for the FD to shift properly)

I hope the question(s) make sense, and I hope they haven't been answered elsewhere (i did search).

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-23-20, 08:06 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by flx100
Hi,
I have Force AXS. (12 speed with flattop chain).
I would like to see if there are alternatives to using Force or Red powermeters, because A: I dont like the plasticy look of Force, and B: I would like to be able to change chain rings separately. (Red wont allow that)

Since i have dub bottom bracket and 8 bolt spider interface (obviously) my question is, will this work:
https://www.sram.com/en/quarq/models/pm-dz-spdr-d1
Either with my existing Force crankarms, or with these crankarms:
https://www.sram.com/en/quarq/models/fc-qrq-assy-d1
And if so: what chain line would i get? With the compatible chain rings for Flattop chains (such as these: X-CarboRing 48 x 110 X-AXS - X-CarboRing - Chainrings - Products) would i be able to achieve the correct 45mm chainline? (this is apparently important for the FD to shift properly)

I hope the question(s) make sense, and I hope they haven't been answered elsewhere (i did search).

Thank you in advance!
You would need to buy the Dzero crankarms. Considering the cost of all this--have you considered going with a pedal based solution--like the Favero Assioma?
Old 06-23-20, 08:35 AM
flx100

Thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know the reason why I cant use my current arm? The interface is the same. Does it have to do with the way the powermeter measures?
Yes, i have considered pedals - but i just got some other pedals, and i am in any event looking to replace the force chain rings, which i dont like the look of. (I know, silly me)

Is there really no crank/power meter that works with AXS that is NOT Force or Red? There are multiple brands producing chainrings for Flattop chains - how do they achieve the correct chain line?
Old 06-24-20, 09:25 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by flx100
Thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know the reason why I cant use my current arm? The interface is the same. Does it have to do with the way the powermeter measures?
Yes, i have considered pedals - but i just got some other pedals, and i am in any event looking to replace the force chain rings, which i dont like the look of. (I know, silly me)

Is there really no crank/power meter that works with AXS that is NOT Force or Red? There are multiple brands producing chainrings for Flattop chains - how do they achieve the correct chain line?
Okay, I was completely wrong on this, and for some reason missed that you mentioned having the 8 bolt interface. I just investigated my own Red crankarm with the Dzero power meter and it has the 8 bolt interface. So--things should work out for you. I don't believe that chainline is affected by the addition of the Quarq spider. The setup instructions that I followed in the support documentation, as well as this video:
do not mention using spacers to change chainline--only to eliminate play at the bottom bracket.

TLDR: buying the spider alone and installing that should work just fine with your current AXS 8-bolt cranks.
Old 06-24-20, 03:31 PM
flx100

Wow, thank you for all the great info!
Yea, in the meantime i got some info from SRAM - obviously they can't recommend a 'hack' like this, but the person did confirm the chainline should be the same with this spider.
They avoided the question if i could use my existing Force crank arms, or if i had to buy the Quarq arms. But i can try first.
What this means (hopefully) is that there's an alternative to the Red AXS powermeter with more flexibility in chainrings, and you don't have to throw away the powermeter when the chainrings need replacing.
Great!
Old 08-05-20, 11:11 AM
flx100

UPDATE
The Force AXS crank arms ARE compatible with the Quarq DZERO dub power meter. I installed them and it worked fine with the Carbon-TI AXS specific chainrings. Chainline is perfect and all is good.
Later i actually got the 'matching' Quarq crank arms only for the weight savings, which are substantial.
(just wanted to follow up in case anybody had a similar question)