Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

My old Trek 810

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

My old Trek 810

Old 07-20-20, 03:40 PM
Kev5171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old Trek 810

Hi all, my first post here!

I have an old Trek 810 ST 21 Speed
It's well worn but I still love it, so even though it's probably not worth the money I still want to fix it up.

Can anyone tell me the exact specs of the parts I need to order if I want to replace the:
- Front chain rings (whole crankset?)
- Front derailleur
- Rear cassette (although I suspect it's a freewheel)
- Rear derailleur
- Chain

Are they all super specific or can I use generic parts? Which ones?
Thanks!
Old 08-20-20, 04:31 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
So you are looking to replace the entire groupset. The Shimano Altus M2000 groupset is probably a cost effective upgrade or your old system. It sits above Tourney. Things have moved on a bit since your 810 was made. Even the entry level Altus is now 9 speed. It isn't going to be cheap...not that it's expensive in the grand scheme of groupsets...but getting it all at once...and buying a new rear wheel. If you look up the Shimano web site there a whole world of info on groupsets from 7 speed all the way to 12 speed.
​​​​​
Old 07-30-21, 08:34 AM
DrkAngel321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great bike!

Stumbled onto this...I had the same bike. It was stolen in 1993. I purchased it sometime between 1986-1987 I believe. I wish I can find another. Would you happen to know what replaced that one?
Old 07-31-21, 04:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by DrkAngel321
Stumbled onto this...I had the same bike. It was stolen in 1993. I purchased it sometime between 1986-1987 I believe. I wish I can find another. Would you happen to know what replaced that one?
Over the early 1990's when mountain bikes started growing suspension forks, bike companies started making hybrids with the same posture, gearing, and all the same convenient frame features, but skinnier road bike tires. The Trek model was the 700 Multi Track. Today's closest descendant would then be the Trek FX. The Marlin is now the entry level mountain bike but I don't think you'd find it much like an 810
Genesis 49:16-17