Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon post damage?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon post damage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 03:39 AM
Road bikie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Still looks like carbon cut with a "normal" blade. While I still think the damage is cosmetic, I would be none too pleased about it. See what the shop will do about it. Should be an interesting litmus test.
Thanks mate. The shop finally accepted to replace the bike. However i need you cover the shipping costs ($aud280) and wait up to 1-4 months due to low stock and the warranty process. They said as the giant gives life time warranty, i will be able to replace the bike if anything goes wrong anytime in the future. Maybe a better idea to keep the bike?
Old 08-04-20, 07:47 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I wouldn't spend 280 bucks on that. I mean, I don't see why you should have to anyway as you didn't do it, the shop did. Save the warranty replacement for either something serious, or a future time when you have another bike and can manage the down time.
Old 08-04-20, 08:03 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
afix the seat, ride the bike & in a couple of weeks odds are that blemish won's bother you ever again > not even win you sell/trade the bike
Old 08-04-20, 10:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I wouldn't spend 280 bucks on that. I mean, I don't see why you should have to anyway as you didn't do it, the shop did. Save the warranty replacement for either something serious, or a future time when you have another bike and can manage the down time.
Yeah, I'd agree. i assume the blemish is completely hid by the seat when it's attached anyway? And if there's a future problem or that same area gets worse, its the same bike that has a lifetime warranty anyway. I'd just document this issue as such with the manufacturer -- ie. that you're deferring replacement and will keep the bike for now since it is under lifetime warranty anyway, so if this issue becomes significant you'll expect their replacement offer to still stand in the future.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-04-20, 10:56 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
"Tis but a flesh wound," said the Black Knight.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 08-04-20, 08:28 PM
Road bikie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, I'd agree. i assume the blemish is completely hid by the seat when it's attached anyway? And if there's a future problem or that same area gets worse, its the same bike that has a lifetime warranty anyway. I'd just document this issue as such with the manufacturer -- ie. that you're deferring replacement and will keep the bike for now since it is under lifetime warranty anyway, so if this issue becomes significant you'll expect their replacement offer to still stand in the future.
I spoke to a Giant store and they said Giant will never cover for this as the damage was made by the shop. They said Giant is liaising with the shop to see what can be done. Omg, so dodgy.. such a nightmare.. I wish the shop would take the accountability.
Old 08-06-20, 06:53 AM
Road bikie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hey guys, a shop owner forwarded me this email from Giant sales agent:

"I have discussed this with our warranty department after viewing the image and it is our opinion that there is no warranty claim here. Noted that there is some paint chipping and carbon fraying around where the post has been cut but this is not a manufacturing defect. It is also not a structural issue.

As far as this affecting any further warranty claim on the bike, it will not. We look at all warranty claims on their merit individually so this will not have any bearing on future decisions if they arise."

Good enough? My only concern is that the individual didn't have @giant.com in his signature as he is a giant sales agent. However I spoke to the shop owner and he again confirmed over the phone that if i have any issues in future he will cover me.