Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Help needed with Gravel/All Road Purchase

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 10:21 AM
Quadzilla2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone. I'm looking to get my first gravel/all road purchase. I plan on being asphalt 40% of the time along with chip/seal bumpier around 30% and rail trail gravel the other 30%. Like to try the Dirty Kanza at some point but not soon.
I can't make a decision. I'm 6'3 235. I've messed up my wheels a lot lately. Time to spend money on a good set or at least have good ones that come on the bike. I'm definitely more of a masher.
I could buy a used All City Cosmic Stallion Frame or a new Midnight Special Frame and build it up. The ACCS is $880 so a $400 savings over a new one. The bike itself is $2699, with a weak wheelset. Can someone give me an idea on the cost for me to build a bike? I don't need the best shifters brakes, etc. Probably, mid tier whatever that might be. I know I need a good wheelset though.
The other one I keep coming back to is a Jenson build Niner RLT Steel for $2700 on discount. It looks like it comes with 32h higher end DT Swiss? Am I going up into that price range regardless if I do a build?
Can I outpedal a 1x set up if I'm more of a 80cadence?
I am looking for more comfort than my current tri bike provides. I know the tires make a big difference. I don't want to go from averaging 19-21mph down to 15mph though, so trying to find a happy medium.
Thanks for any assistance, as I have a really hard time making up my mind on anything.
Old 08-04-20, 04:27 PM
Steve M.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My plan worked like this:

-- Buy a frame I liked.

-- Buy an entire Bikes Direct bike with the kit I wanted on there. Hard to get components cheaper separately.

-- Craiglist the BD frame and wheels and other junk to defray costs.

-- Get a good pair of Velocity 36 spoke wheels.

-- Put it all together. Ride.

Astoundingly, it worked OK.

I'm a big fan of Surly frames, as they're sturdy, affordable and common. And everything fits an LHT or CrossCheck.
Likes For Steve M.:
Old 08-05-20, 12:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
worthy of consideration

surly straggler at $1650 https://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler

surly midnight special at $2000 https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special

Old 08-11-20, 10:45 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Velocity 36 hole 700c Chukar rims on Velo Orange hubs has been very reliable. I put 13/14 gauge spokes on the rear cassette side and straight 14 gauge every where else. Nothing breaks, nothing bends, minimum of maintenance. I've ridden this type of wheel for years with no spoke, rim, or hub breakage. I'm not a wild man on the bicycle but I do ride on and off road with these wheels. I weigh 240 and have weighed as much as 280 riding these wheels.
Old 09-01-20, 09:32 AM
billm67

Bikes: Jamis Revenge, Fuji Roubaix, Raliegh mountian bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I built a gravel bike about two years ago. I got a great deal on a Jamis Renegade Steel frame and started from there. I used a 105 crankset and a set of 105 2x10 brake levers. A 105 from derailluer and a deore 591 rear derailluer (works well with the 10 speed shifters). TRP Spyre mechanical disk brakes...and home built wheels. The wheels are 36h deore xt hubs with straight gauge spokes and Sun CR18 rims. Running 700x35 kenda's. With getting the frame for around $250 I was able to put the bike together from around $1000. It's a fun bike to ride and I have had zero issues with the wheels (and I would love to get down to 235). With the compact gearing I am running 34 /50 on the chain rings and a 12-36 rear SRAM cassette.
Old 09-07-20, 06:47 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
FSA Vision has no weight limit on their wheels. I have a pair of Vision Team 30 discs on my gravel bike with about 7,500 miles on it. and no wheel issues. I like them so much I recently bought another pair for just under $300 brand new on ebay.
Old 09-16-20, 09:28 PM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts
We are the same size. Domane SL5 with Light Bicycle WR45 wheelset. Amazing comfortable ride, fast enough and can handle 38mm tires.
Old 09-17-20, 06:24 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
worthy of consideration

surly straggler at $1650 https://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler

surly midnight special at $2000 https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special
Get one of these. Check the spoke tension and go ride. It took me several years to destroy the stock wheels on my Cross Check back in the day, these should be fine.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-18-20, 11:25 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Im 6’4” 270# and a part-time gravel rider.

My gravel bike is a 2019 Steel framed Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11 SRAM. I have 2 wheel sets, one for primarily pavement (38mm Schwalbe g-ones) and another dedicated to gravel (WTB 44mm Byway rear and 42mm Resolute front). I recommend 2 wheel sets! You got backup and options. Almost like having a seconded bike. Easy to swap out with thru axles and no alignment problems.

Love the above for fair weather. Problem is, I need more flotation for swampy and chunky gravel being a Clydesdale. Enter N+1 bikes...

I have a Fat Tire bike, also with two wheelsets (4.8” fat and 29, 2.2”), but it’s not ideal for all rides. Fat bikes are fun in their own right but a different beast for sure. Great for winter!

Im now looking for N+1 bikes to find that sweet spot between my normal gravel bike and my Fat bike. Want 29+ tire capability. Plan to do more western bikepacking in varied terrain and conditions. A skinny rider might get by on 40mm tires but a Clydesdale like me needs something wider for those varied conditions.
Old 09-22-20, 07:07 AM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Im 6’4” 270# and a part-time gravel rider.

My gravel bike is a 2019 Steel framed Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11 SRAM. I have 2 wheel sets, one for primarily pavement (38mm Schwalbe g-ones) and another dedicated to gravel (WTB 44mm Byway rear and 42mm Resolute front). I recommend 2 wheel sets! You got backup and options. Almost like having a seconded bike. Easy to swap out with thru axles and no alignment problems.
I can certainly vouch for how quick a Jamis Renegade can be with a road-oriented wheelset on it. I have a 2018 Renegade Exploit. I kept the original chunky wheels for gravel use and built up a road set using Kinlin XR31 rims and 32c Gravel King slicks and it is quite a zippy bike on those wheels.
Old 09-24-20, 10:15 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Salsa Journeyman. Awesome bike. Must see in person. Comes ANY way you want it. I've got a real eye for nice looking bikes. Total strangers give me props on my bikes. They don't know from bikes so it must be just the aesthetics. Bikes are so good these days that about the only thing more money gets you is less weight. *cough* I don't mean to be mean *cough, cough* but ... anyone posting in this section ... I'll leave it there. The Journeyman ($600.00+ street price, to $13??.00+ depending on build group) is aluminum. Some of y'all like steel. Ok. Surly Bridge Club. Another head turner, and at $1200 for the base model SRAM Eagle 12sp, should be the most money spent on a new bike by anyone with a BMI over 25 (IMO). I'm not sure any of these bikes are going to be available anytime soon though. After 5 months of trying to find a Journeyman I gave up and bought a cargo bike. Next year. <fingers crossed>.
Old 09-27-20, 09:35 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Get one of these. Check the spoke tension and go ride. It took me several years to destroy the stock wheels on my Cross Check back in the day, these should be fine.
I've got those wheels on my flat bar ss 2016 Cross Check, and I ride that beast like a mountain bike on some seriously rough, rocky stuff. They do take a beating. Mine are still going strong.
Would definitely go with the Midnight Special or Straggler though if I were buying a new Surly today.
Old 11-04-20, 06:04 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Quadzilla2020
Hello Everyone. I'm looking to get my first gravel/all road purchase. I plan on being asphalt 40% of the time along with chip/seal bumpier around 30% and rail trail gravel the other 30%. Like to try the Dirty Kanza at some point but not soon.
I can't make a decision. I'm 6'3 235. I've messed up my wheels a lot lately. Time to spend money on a good set or at least have good ones that come on the bike. I'm definitely more of a masher.
I could buy a used All City Cosmic Stallion Frame or a new Midnight Special Frame and build it up. The ACCS is $880 so a $400 savings over a new one. The bike itself is $2699, with a weak wheelset. Can someone give me an idea on the cost for me to build a bike? I don't need the best shifters brakes, etc. Probably, mid tier whatever that might be. I know I need a good wheelset though.
The other one I keep coming back to is a Jenson build Niner RLT Steel for $2700 on discount. It looks like it comes with 32h higher end DT Swiss? Am I going up into that price range regardless if I do a build?
Can I outpedal a 1x set up if I'm more of a 80cadence?
I am looking for more comfort than my current tri bike provides. I know the tires make a big difference. I don't want to go from averaging 19-21mph down to 15mph though, so trying to find a happy medium.
Thanks for any assistance, as I have a really hard time making up my mind on anything.
As long as you keep the rims tensioned you won't bend them. Unless you always thrash the bike.

What you think of these:

Chiru kegeti
khs flite 747
Clysedale draft
pelago stavanger
Salsa fArgo
idworx grandone
gunnar hyper x
jamis dragon
bombtrack
ridefarr gmx
Specialized sirrus
Cannondale bad boy

They aren't all gravel. But they all come in a comfy size for you.
Old 01-02-21, 06:24 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Building a bike... Fun Fun FUN!

What ever bike you end up with... IT WILL BE YOURS! - Bravo...
Old 01-03-21, 03:38 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
Velocity 36 hole 700c Chukar rims on Velo Orange hubs has been very reliable. I put 13/14 gauge spokes on the rear cassette side and straight 14 gauge every where else. Nothing breaks, nothing bends, minimum of maintenance. I've ridden this type of wheel for years with no spoke, rim, or hub breakage. I'm not a wild man on the bicycle but I do ride on and off road with these wheels. I weigh 240 and have weighed as much as 280 riding these wheels.
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...4uu883ejrmukt2

Here's the same on Shamino Deore hubs at Velomine for $199.
Old 01-03-21, 08:09 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
A new shop in our area caries these. Seems to be a pretty good bike. I compare the frame with Surly
https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/colle...mad-royal-blue
Old 01-03-21, 08:15 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I just ordered Velocity Atlas rims, 36 spoke and 105 hubs. Getting ready to build them up. On the road I have had good luck with Shimano hubs.
Old 01-03-21, 09:45 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by wvridgerider
I just ordered Velocity Atlas rims, 36 spoke and 105 hubs. Getting ready to build them up. On the road I have had good luck with Shimano hubs.
I have a Ryan Vanguard Recumbent that came with a Mavic rear 26" rim. The rim had a permanent tweak in it that wouldn't come out with retensioning and retruing the rim. I recently replaced it with the Velocity NO BS 26" rim. It is very similar to the Atlas rim. The bike is faster and more solid feeling with this beefier rim. Good luck with your new wheels.
Old 01-07-21, 07:47 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Reynolds carbon wheels have an unlimited weight limit and are reasonably priced. Super tough and not too heavy.
Old 01-07-21, 08:03 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Reynolds carbon wheels have an unlimited weight limit and are reasonably priced. Super tough and not too heavy.
Specifying "unlimited weight" doesn't inspire credulity.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-07-21, 08:24 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Specifying "unlimited weight" doesn't inspire credulity.
Point? That is what their warranty says and Reynolds is a very reputable manufacturer. That is what we put our clydes on that trash everything else...
Old 01-07-21, 09:03 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Point? That is what their warranty says and Reynolds is a very reputable manufacturer. That is what we put our clydes on that trash everything else...
Point is whoever said "an unlimited weight limit" is lying. Reynolds didn't say "unlimited weight", someone else in the commerce chain did, and they're lying.
Old 01-12-21, 10:38 AM
Twenty9er

Bikes: BMC URS / Yeti SB4.5T

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just went through similar exercise

I just went through the exercise of buying a new bike, but, coming from MTB background. I am also 6'2" 220 without gear. I have similar cadence. My bike choices may have been different, because i was looking for a longer wheelbase, more slack bike. my top 3 bikes were BMC URS, Salsa Warbird, and Devinci Hatchet. Also liked the Giant Revolt and Cannondale Topstone.

I ended up with a used BMC. Only complaint is the 1X doesn't give me enough top end speed on pavement, but, looking into ways to fix that. I only really run out of gear on absolutely flat road or down hill. My tire choices seem to have impacted speed more than wheel choices (considering the difference in cost), ideally i get lighter wheels with better hubs and better rolling tires, but, Rome wasn't built in a day.

The bike is very comfortable (considering it is fully rigid) because of the longer wheelbase and has some compliance with a micro-suspension doo-hickey. the 1X is a little limiting on pavement. On level ground I can maintain the speeds you mention. I was also in the same price range for bike builds. The tire range i was comfortable with was 40 - 45mm 700 and running a 42 right now. Hope this helps.