Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 10:50 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Didn't know where to put this. Thought it interesting. Years ago I purchased and used this.
I do think it is a good breathing technique device.
How it works is simple. While exercising, breathe through it and exhale through it. Because less O2 enriched air is left in the tubes you have to take fuller breaths to get your O2 and you (I did) find yourself doing a larger exhale. I expect the same can be done swimming.

days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LungTrainer.jpg (97.6 KB, 357 views)
Old 08-26-15, 11:39 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Immortan Joe cosplay? Nice.
Old 08-26-15, 12:15 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
suckers, I just grew up with asthma
Old 08-26-15, 12:20 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also looks like a good apparatus for drinking wine.
Old 08-26-15, 12:37 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Do you sound like Bane with that thing on?
Old 08-26-15, 12:38 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use one of these.

Old 08-27-15, 08:59 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been reading some of the sram etap marketing blitz. I have to admit that it's sounding very appealing to me.

One downside that many first-ride-reviewers note is that the shifting feels slower than di2 or mechanical, and that sram has designed this somewhat slow shifting speed into the system. I must have read a dozen such articles by now and keep waiting for somebody to mention the seemingly obvious reason for slow shifts. You shift the RD by clicking the right lever for a smaller cog and the left lever for a bigger cog (which is great IMO, this is how I have my di2 sprint shifters set up and it seems very natural). You shift the FD by clicking both levers at once. This both-at-once behavior seems like the reason to design in a slowish response to RD shifts -- a faster response would lead to accidental shifts as the user tries to click both levers at once but mistimes it a bit and clicks one lever slightly before the other.

Anyway, I'll be following along as more lengthy reviews come out.
Old 08-27-15, 09:56 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah using the left/right shifters for RD would make sense for a one-by setup, but it's not something I'd want on a bike with a FD. For one thing, when I change the front chainring, I almost always shift the RD at the same time (doing it simultaneously is a piece of cake with Di2). Having to shift front, then rear (or vice-versa) would just be a hassle and slow things down even more.
Old 08-27-15, 10:15 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I'm intrigued by the SRAM setup as well. The whole no cable thing is interesting, like tighten a few screws, pair, and done.

Rear shifting - any system is limited by the ramps on the cassette so that's as fast as it gets. However if it's slower than that then it would be a bit weird.

Also intrigued by the Rotor thing. Not sure about hydraulics, esp since it's spring one way, hydraulic the other, but it's interesting. Hydraulic both ways would be interesting because you can force, say, a shift from the 12 into the 11, or the 53 to the 39, normally those are shifted using spring power only.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-28-15, 06:07 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'm intrigued by the SRAM setup as well. The whole no cable thing is interesting, like tighten a few screws, pair, and done.

Rear shifting - any system is limited by the ramps on the cassette so that's as fast as it gets. However if it's slower than that then it would be a bit weird.

Also intrigued by the Rotor thing. Not sure about hydraulics, esp since it's spring one way, hydraulic the other, but it's interesting. Hydraulic both ways would be interesting because you can force, say, a shift from the 12 into the 11, or the 53 to the 39, normally those are shifted using spring power only.
The problem with that though is the need for essentially two hydraulic lines unless you have some very fancy and complex engineering. Either that or you would conceivable need your shifters to act like old friction shifters where you need to pull the lever on direction or push it the other to move. Doable, but complex and IME complexity leads to more things breaking.

Creating too complex of a system now that SRAM sort of "raised the bar" in terms of ease of setup could be a death kiss.
Old 08-28-15, 11:21 AM
ips0803

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
You shift the RD by clicking the right lever for a smaller cog and the left lever for a bigger cog (which is great IMO, this is how I have my di2 sprint shifters set up and it seems very natural).
Interesting. Are you 1x or do you have the large buttons mapped to the rear derailleur and the small buttons mapped to the front?

One thing I've noticed switching between a mechanical campy bike and the di2 bike is I actually do the simultaneous FD/RD shift less with the di2 bike. Maybe I need to configure the FD to shift faster, but with the mechanical I feel like I have better feel of when exactly the front will shift so I can just throw both shifters together.
Old 08-28-15, 05:20 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sprint shifters.
Old 08-28-15, 07:44 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Sprint shifters.
BIG motivation for my getting Di2 on my next bike.
Old 08-28-15, 08:12 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought you just dropped it in the 11 and stomped on it.

I've had sprint shifters for years now. They're great for a lot more than sprints.
Old 08-28-15, 08:33 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I thought you just dropped it in the 11 and stomped on it.

I've had sprint shifters for years now. They're great for a lot more than sprints.
Good to know

I actually rarely get it into the 11 during a sprint. There's rarely a real lead-out, so the speeds going into the sprint aren't high enough to work it into the 11 by the end. Usually I finish in the 13 or 12.
Old 08-28-15, 10:22 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,645 Posts
idk even know what "sprint shifters" means

/10sp mech. shimano and sram user
Old 08-28-15, 10:48 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Been reading some of the sram etap marketing blitz. I have to admit that it's sounding very appealing to me.

One downside that many first-ride-reviewers note is that the shifting feels slower than di2 or mechanical, and that sram has designed this somewhat slow shifting speed into the system. I must have read a dozen such articles by now and keep waiting for somebody to mention the seemingly obvious reason for slow shifts. You shift the RD by clicking the right lever for a smaller cog and the left lever for a bigger cog (which is great IMO, this is how I have my di2 sprint shifters set up and it seems very natural). You shift the FD by clicking both levers at once. This both-at-once behavior seems like the reason to design in a slowish response to RD shifts -- a faster response would lead to accidental shifts as the user tries to click both levers at once but mistimes it a bit and clicks one lever slightly before the other.

Anyway, I'll be following along as more lengthy reviews come out.
a nice part about di2 is the ability to configure the speed of multi-shifts and how many (max) will occur. you can tailor it to your style and essentially dump the whole cassette.

for my cx 1x setup, i configured both right-hand paddles to shift the RD to a smaller cog, and both left-hand paddles do the opposite. works great, esp in colder conditions/heavier gloves.

personally i don't think i'd want to have to hit 2 levers to effect a front shift, but that's speculation--obv haven't tried it.
Old 08-30-15, 02:56 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My thought is if it has absolutely horrible shifting speed/performance or unintuitive, the Pros would have told SRAM over the last 9 months they've been using it.

If it shifts well/fast enough for the Pros, it's probably good enough for us.
Old 08-30-15, 07:29 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I have sprint shifters. Ergo levers

I know I know. But seriously, they work for me.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-30-15, 10:26 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
My thought is if it has absolutely horrible shifting speed/performance or unintuitive, the Pros would have told SRAM over the last 9 months they've been using it.

If it shifts well/fast enough for the Pros, it's probably good enough for us.
Probably, but, I'm not so quick to accept that they offer the best value or something necessarily outstanding, because some equipment used is based on sponsorship, not choice.
Old 09-01-15, 08:22 AM
Doge

Anyone know how to CROP a Strava event that has no mileage? The crop option is gone. https://www.strava.com/activities/381100263
I didn't want to have to buy anything, but I could.
Old 09-02-15, 04:47 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crop is still there, if you press the wrench button. You can only crop your own rides of course, not other peoples'.

... Sorry, you are talking about an activity that has no gps data. You can't crop or export such activities. If there was GPS data recorded in the original file (that is, GPS was not disabled on the Garmin before recording), you might be able to change it to another activity type and crop that. If not your only option may be to edit the original file which gets technical.

Last edited by globecanvas; 09-02-15 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-02-15, 03:19 PM
Doge

Yea, I didn't know the GPS could be off, but I guess my son found a way. I think he had the Auto Record on and it was turning the unit off whhen he had HR but no movement. So he just turned the GPS off.
In order to use the Strava crop (vs something more complex) we'll just have to deal with squiggly lines for trainer/roller/erg workouts and leave the GPS on as a fix. He'll get the Lantern Rouge for a few Strava Segments then.
Old 09-03-15, 05:12 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
I have no interest in a 1 piece bar/stem; so I'd def get the 10
Same here. What happens when you wish the bars were tilted up or down a tiny bit.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-03-15, 06:56 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahaha, Quarq just shat the bed mid-ride, the DAY before my stage race. FML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.