Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Baja Divide

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Baja Divide

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 09:38 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I wanted to watch the Tales on Tyres video again.
I clicked some more
Tales On Tyres - A Cycle Touring Adventure
The way they talk about the need to learn Spanish is more eloquent than any thing I have to offer.

The girl I was taking pictures of told me to
¨seguro su cámara, Muchos bandidos en este parque¨
I also learned that,
espere means hold on.

Last edited by chrisx; 04-12-17 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 12:52 AM
busted knuckles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found this thread a couple weeks ago, it got me thinking. I am going to do it. I got 2 months leave of absence for January and February.
I have been looking at bikes. Thinking of buying a cannondale cujo 2. Also toying with the idea of a fatbike, though the cujo seems more practical.
Old 04-23-17, 01:42 AM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Today I learned a new word in Spanish.

Burbajas

You give these to your friend

edit;
quote:
¨4. Is there anything in particular that bike tourists should pack for a trip to Latin America that they might not normally have in their bags?

Yes, Spanish! It’s compact, it’s lightweight, and it won’t take up any room in your panniers.

Seriously, a good working knowledge of Spanish will get you out of more jams than your multi-tool, your first aid kit, and that notarized photocopy of your passport combined.

Until you start speaking and understanding Spanish, you’re missing out on the real Latin American experience. And you’re missing out on making lifelong friendships with some of the most generous and warm-hearted people on the planet.¨
https://travellingtwo.com/13497

Last edited by chrisx; 04-25-17 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 09:32 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Bicycle touring is seeing a resurgence. But its not your father's bicycle touring. Younger people are being attracted to longer off pavement and technical trail journeys. The key is bicycles with wider tires, lower gears, and lighter weight in order to tackle steep, rough, loose, technical terrain. On technical single track and rough trails, racks and panniers are a hindrance and a liability. Using frame bag bike packing rig also forces the cyclist to pack lighter and bring less gear. Combined with modern ultra light frame materials, you have a rig that can take you longer, higher and faster in an environmentally sustainable manner. The future is now.
Are you ready yet?
Old 10-07-17, 08:38 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
Are you ready yet?
This bike packing gear, all these special bags are expensive. Does anybody have any sources for more economical bike packing bags?
Old 10-07-17, 02:37 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
This bike packing gear, all these special bags are expensive. Does anybody have any sources for more economical bike packing bags?
How to Make A DIY Framebag - BIKEPACKING.com
DIY / Make Your Own Gear (MYOG)
Make Your Own Bikepacking gear- Mtbr.com

Home made frame bag $15
Store bought $150
Old 10-07-17, 04:35 PM
willibrord

thks.

the bikepacking article suggest $54 in materiel costs for the frame bag.

I might try it using glue for the seams as I dont have access to a sewing machine.
Old 10-07-17, 06:03 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
thks.

the bikepacking article suggest $54 in materiel costs for the frame bag.

I might try it using glue for the seams as I dont have access to a sewing machine.
I paid $15 a yard for some 1000 d cordura. A frame bag takes less than a yard. I already had some velcro. I have a used, (1968), Zigzag delux sewing machine, $19.95. I make roll top bags instead of zipper bags.

I would stay away from glue frame bags. I store water in my frame bag. I would be afraid the glue would not hold up to the weight. Consider taking a sewing class at your local fabric store.
Old 10-07-17, 06:23 PM
willibrord

I paid $15 a yard for some 1000 d cordura. A frame bag takes less than a yard. I already had some velcro. I have a used, (1968), Zigzag delux sewing machine, $19.95. I make roll top bags instead of zipper bags.

I would stay away from glue frame bags. I store water in my frame bag. I would be afraid the glue would not hold up to the weight. Consider taking a sewing class at your local fabric store.
thks again

I may look into sewing class

although my last DIY project didnt work out so well..
Old 10-07-17, 06:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Gotta get a custom bamboo bike first to know the dimensions of the custom frame bag.
Cart before the horse and all
Old 10-07-17, 07:28 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Gotta get a custom bamboo bike first to know the dimensions of the custom frame bag.
Cart before the horse and all
Custom bamboo would be nice, but out of the picture for now.

Design the frame bag for my old klunker and see what I can manage in upgrades.
Old 10-07-17, 08:06 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
cheapest 26+ bike out there, MSRP: $549.99 *
https://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/...o-26-plus-2017
Most likely ghetto tubeless would work.

I bet they do layaway, maybe? On sale after christmas?
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=5657

I went down 2 times last winter. 2.4 front and 2.3 rear. Not ideal, I made it. I am tempted to ride my 95 Mongoose this winter. It will cost me a little over $200 to get it ready. I got 2 36 hole hubs this summer, but have yet to order 2 rims. The Velosity Cliffhanger, at 25 mm internal are the widest rim brake, tubelass ready, rims I can find.

I have a question?¿?
I have a Shimano 780 rim brake hub, 36 hole, or I could buy a Shimano 8000 dynamo hub 36 hole.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=3680
I have never had a dynamo hub. Should I get one for the bike I have plans to ride in Baja, and Guatemala, perhaps Nicaragua? Or, should I use the 36 hole rim brake only xt780 hub? The rim brake only hub would make a slightly stronger wheel. Without the disk brake mount, the spokes have a wider base, and the wheel is a little stronger. Without the dynamo I have no blinking lights in the day time. This bicycle is for touring in third world countries, and isolated areas. Other than the old single wall wheels, it is all XT, drive train and XT canti brakes.

Last edited by chrisx; 10-07-17 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 09:25 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Baja Divide: A Packing List ? Highlux Photography

bike packing Guatemala is what I googled to find an article on Baja .
Soon I will check google results on Costa Rica as a way to get info on Nicaragua.
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
Old 10-13-17, 03:38 PM
willibrord

It looks like a few people are organizing another January Baja divide group ride.
I don't think Lael and Nick are going.
Posted in case others may want to join up.

https://bajadivide.com/ride-the-baja-divide-2017/
Old 10-13-17, 05:43 PM
jay1680

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Baja Nov-Dec

Looking for bike companeros for a trip to Baja in Nov-Dec. Traveling 40- 50 miles a day. Camping or hotel or mixture of both. I live in Guadalajara, Mexico and speak Spanish and have toured a little on the main land. I would be taking the ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz and plan on riding from there. The stretch from La Paz to Loreto (356 km) is what I have in mind but would be open to other ideas. Mexican buses (at least on the mainland, need to check for baja) are bike friendly so, wherever we end up you can throw you bike in the baggage compartment in the bus and ride to the nearest airport.
Jay
Old 10-13-17, 09:14 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jay1680
Looking for bike companeros for a trip to Baja in Nov-Dec. Traveling 40- 50 miles a day. Camping or hotel or mixture of both. I live in Guadalajara, Mexico and speak Spanish and have toured a little on the main land. I would be taking the ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz and plan on riding from there. The stretch from La Paz to Loreto (356 km) is what I have in mind but would be open to other ideas. Mexican buses (at least on the mainland, need to check for baja) are bike friendly so, wherever we end up you can throw you bike in the baggage compartment in the bus and ride to the nearest airport.
Jay
Baja buses are bicycle friedly. I always take the wheels off and turn the bike upright. If you lay it flat they might put a 100 pound bag of coconuts on top of it. Not every bus has room for a bicycle. Most of them do though.
Old 11-02-17, 02:26 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Today 2 November is the offical opening day of the Baja Divide route.
Why?
Because hurricane season ends in Baja on 1 november.

Pacific hurricane season ends 30 november. There has never been a november hurricane in Baja

Last edited by chrisx; 11-02-17 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-02-17, 05:17 PM
willibrord

Why?
Because hurricane season ends in Baja on 1 november.

Pacific hurricane season ends 30 november. There has never been a november hurricane in Baja
The website sez.

November to March is the best time to ride. Winter in Baja is characterized by warm days and cool nights. Exposure to both sun and heat is lessened during these months, water needs are manageable, and most snakes and scorpions remain out of sight. Almost the entire peninsula is an arid or semi-arid desert. The northern state, Baja California, features a Mediterranean climate which receives more moisture during winter months, while the Pacific coast is cooler during most of the year. Pine forests are found in the mountains at higher elevations, and the Pacific coastal plain supports large agricultural operations growing tomatoes, brussel sprouts, tomatillos, and strawberries. Baja California Sur is hot and dry most of the year.
It would be wise to wait for Day of the Dead to be over before you start.

How many people ride the Baja Divide each year? I heard 1000 per year do the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route now, it used to be 20 or 30 ten years ago
Old 11-02-17, 09:54 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
what will they do to you if you get caught riding the route
before opening day?

Last edited by saddlesores; 11-02-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-03-17, 09:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
this thread just keeps giving.
Old 11-03-17, 10:45 AM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The website sez.
How many people ride the Baja Divide each year? I heard 1000 per year do the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route now, it used to be 20 or 30 ten years ago
Just a few years ago, in southern Mexico, high in the mountains, in a mayan village, I watched them ring the church bell for 2 days and 2 nights. 1 November and 2 November. The person whos turn it is to ring the bell has clothes and a hat made special for the occasion. An old women asked to ring the bell once, and died in the process of doing so.

The website sez.
It would be wise to wait for Day of the Dead to be over before you start.
Day of the dead has been celebrated for a long long time. since befor the times of the pharaohs.

It would be interesting to see Dia De Los Muertos in Oaxaca. If you get to like Baja Mexico, the next step would be a tour of the mountains of Oaxaca Mexico. Halloween is boring. Day of the dead is celebrated in elaborate stye.

quote:
[The Druids New Year's Eve was Hallow E'en, (also called Hallowmas). The Druids believed that on this night, all of the people who died in the past year would rise up and search for the passageway to the netherworld. On this night the passageway or "veil" between both worlds was it's thinnest. Lord Samhain would roam the earth in search of these souls to capture them and take them to his world of darkness. To this day, some people put lights in their windows to help the dead find their way, and keep Lord Samhain away from taking them.]

Pope Gregory II, [19 May 715 to his death in 731] moved the christian holiday of "All Hollows Eve" from May 13 to November 1st to coincide with the Feast of Samhain. All Hallows Eve honored the saints of the church. Moving the date of All Hallows Eve, was an attempt by the Roman Catholic church to downplay the pagan festival. Hopefully, they reasoned, it would replace Samhain and the pagan celebration would fade away.

The pagan festival continued to be celebrated, and Halloween evolved largely from it. Today, the Catholic church tolerates Halloween, recognizing it is a fun holiday and not intended to hold religious or other supernatural beliefs or religion.

origins
[The Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico developed from ancient traditions among its pre-Columbian cultures. Rituals celebrating the deaths of ancestors had been observed by these civilizations perhaps for as long as 2,500–3,000 years.[11] The festival that developed into the modern Day of the Dead fell in the ninth month of the Aztec calendar, about the beginning of August, and was celebrated for an entire month. The festivities were dedicated to the goddess[12] known as the "Lady of the Dead", corresponding to the modern La Calavera Catrina.

By the late 20th century in most regions of Mexico, practices had developed to honor dead children and infants on November 1, and to honor deceased adults on November 2. November 1 is generally referred to as Día de los Inocentes ("Day of the Innocents") but also as Día de los Angelitos ("Day of the Little Angels"); November 2 is referred to as Día de los Muertos or Día de los Difuntos ("Day of the Dead").[13]]

It is also the one day of the year the cemetery is cleaned.

Last edited by chrisx; 11-03-17 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-03-17, 11:15 AM
willibrord

Originally Posted by saddlesores
what will they do to you if you get caught riding the route
before opening day?
You have to wonder which is the bigger risk in Mexico, the banditos or the cops?

Do you guys think one of those twig burning camping stoves would work in Baja? I know theres not trees, but those stoves just need small branches to burn, maybe from shrubs?

Interesting how a celtic tradition like Samhain got transplanted and trans formed into Day of the Dead in Mexico.
Old 11-03-17, 11:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,533 Times in 7,328 Posts
Well...Christmas is fast approaching.

Anyone know if the route is officially closed on 12/25 or any other holiday?
Old 11-03-17, 11:26 AM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Interesting how a celtic tradition like Samhain got transplanted and trans formed into Day of the Dead in Mexico.
no facts to support that thought.
Old 11-03-17, 11:34 AM
willibrord

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Well...Christmas is fast approaching.

Anyone know if the route is officially closed on 12/25 or any other holiday?
Yes, I am sure there is some local ordinance about camping in the desert on public holidays, although the good thing about camping on holidays, it is allowed to have a beer for breakfast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.