Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Is it too cold if cycling from Vancouver BC to San Francisco?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 10:35 AM
gnvl12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Guys I need your guys help.

I have a plan cycling from Vancouver where I'm living now to San Francisco on November 1st
and Going all the way to Miami from San Francisco.

But some people told me It's really cold than I thought from Vancouver to San Francisco in that time.

Can you give me some advice like best route or etc about my plan Do I have to skip that part ?
Old 10-13-17, 11:04 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
What is your cold threshold? Not sure what the climate is there, but what I consider "too cold" is vastly different than others. SO long as roads aren't iced, it is rarely "too cold" for me. Have you lived there long enough to know what it is like in the PNW in November?

EDIT: Just looked up averages in Portland and Seattle in November. Looks like high 40's, or just a few degrees less than I dealt with every day in Iceland. Probably wouldn't bother me, once again so long as it wasn't icing over on the roads.

Last edited by jefnvk; 10-13-17 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 11:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd Recommend Skipping the parts of northern California that are on fire right now.. there are red flag alerts on the Air quality..

Parts of southern Oregon burned earlier this summer..

OH, and Which Vancouver? BC or WA?

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-13-17 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 12:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
You have to decide what cold means. I have toured when it is below freezing in the mornings, but as long as I did not have to worry about ice on the road I did not let that bother me. Windchill on a bike can be a big deal, so think about what clothing you would wear. When I cycled in Iceland, I left the rain cover on my helmet permanently on to cut the wind although I only wore an ear band or stocking cap under the helmet a few times. But if it was so cold that I would need ski goggles, I would not tour in that. But I was born and raised in Minnesota, so my opinion on what is cold might be different than yours. If you do this, make sure you have a plan to keep your toes warm if you use cycle shoes that are designed with venting to maximize cooling.

Weatherspark.com is my favorite to source for planning a trip. But they only have data for locations where there are airports. You would have to check several locations along the route for weather. This is for Astoria.
https://weatherspark.com/y/447/Avera...tes-Year-Round

If you think the far north part of the trip is too cold, perhaps start your trip further south? I started my trip by taking the train to Portland OR, then a shuttle bus to Astoria where I started my cycling.

In 2014, I rode from Astoria to San Fransisco. It was in May and June, so my weather experience might not be that applicable to you. But some of my experiece might be somewhat applicable. I documented my thoughts on the route at this link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/9...l#post16933424

That would be a time of year when there are not many hours of sunlight and even in daytime the sun can be low, so make sure you have good bike lighting so the traffic can see you.

I use these in moderate rain and moderate cold over my cycling shoes for touring.
https://www.rei.com/product/820997/g...ke-shoe-covers
But if it is really cold I wear hiking shoes, but if it is that cold I probably am not bike touring.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 10-13-17 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 12:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
There are very large differences between coastal temps and those only a few miles inland. So you have a choice between cool, though possibly wet conditions on a coastal route, and drier, but colder conditions inland.

Also, keep in mind that long rides in wet conditions are tolerable when it's warm, as are short commutes in cold rain, but long rides in rainy cool conditions are about as miserable as it gets.

I'd check long term forecasts, and if going ahead, plan on enough time that so I could lay up if the weather is intolerable.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-13-17 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 02:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Be careful to avoid hypothermia.
Old 10-13-17, 02:56 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gnvl12

I have a plan cycling from Vancouver where I'm living now to San Francisco on November 1st
and Going all the way to Miami from San Francisco.

But some people told me It's really cold than I thought from Vancouver to San Francisco in that time.

Can you give me some advice like best route or etc about my plan Do I have to skip that part ?
I wouldn't be too concerned about temperature alone. I always thought the NW coast was kind of pleasant temp wise in the winter. Or at least a lot better than our winters here in Pittsburgh.

I would be more concerned about being wet. Lots of rain in that area that time of year. And while the temp can be ok when it is dry, it can be miserable if you are wet.
Old 10-13-17, 03:05 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Souther teir, San Diego to Miami.

There are many county busses to help speed you through the rain of Oregon. and Washington.
Not a fun ride in November
Old 10-13-17, 03:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
How are you planning on spending your nights?

I do quite a bit of riding in the rain throughout the northwest winters. Not always fun, but cold isn't an issue.

However, I don't relish the idea of riding all day in the rain, then camping, and riding the next day in the rain.

So, if you could ride and use motels, then you would have an opportunity to dry off and clean up at night, then ready for rain the next day. Or, even doing motels every couple of days to recharge. Or maybe make the choice based on the actual weather.

As far as inland vs coastal. I presume you will also hit a few larger mountains using an inland route. So, for example you might find snow or at least freezing temperatures on Mt Ashland if you go over it.

Another option is to have a flexible start time. If you watch the weather before leaving, you might be able to find a gap of a week or so of good weather that could get you down through Washington and Oregon.
Old 10-14-17, 01:18 AM
busted knuckles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My mother and I did it nov 1 of 2011. I did not find it cold riding. This year seems colder earlier, Though.
Old 10-14-17, 08:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Dropped to 35F overnight.
Old 10-14-17, 10:58 AM
jimbo.
Banned.

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Time to check out the winter cycling forum. Should be interesting!
Old 10-14-17, 03:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

National Weather Service
Old 10-14-17, 03:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is FOG.

We had some this morning. It cleared up by mid morning, but it could slow down early departures, or late evening rides.

I think I've often encountered fog driving around Salem, and Grants Pass/Medford can get a lot of winter fog.

I presume a coastal route would have a little less fog.
Old 10-14-17, 04:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Yea Willamette Valley fog, none on the coast, this morning, though there is fog on this river valley too. the Columbia.
Old 10-14-17, 10:23 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not only will it be somewhat cold and wet, but with those rains come south winds. Be prepared to ride all day into a strong wind with rain being driven into your face.

Three or four days of this is about my limit for finding pleasure in it, then I hunt down a hotel and spend a day or two dry and warm before doing it again. Do you have the gear for riding in day after day of rain? Can you handle the sudden chill that comes with taking a break when you're soaked?

Of course you could catch a break. It may not rain on you, but in that case the temperature will likely be in the 30's instead of the 40's or even low 50's.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I think the coast is a nice ride in late October, though I've never ridden down it in November. Just have the right gear and resources ($$) to deal with issues that may come up and you should be fine. (Part of that gear is definitely a very bright tail-light and a back-up.)

Also, I wouldn't worry about the NorCal fires. If they're not out by November, you'll know about it. Besides, they're all slightly inland (last I looked), so you should be okay on hwy 1.
Old 10-15-17, 05:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by gnvl12

What are your thoughts?