Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike storage..which is best..

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-30-20, 03:10 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts

Just wondering what is best way for bike storage

Hang on hook?

Or upright in a stand?

Not a work stand

Will hanging bikes on hooks do any damage long term?

Appreciate any and all help

Thank you
Old 11-30-20, 03:17 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
If I ever see any damage from hanging it by the front wheel on a hook, I’ll tell you. Considering that I’ve been hanging them for close to 40 years, I doubt that I’ll see any in the future.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-30-20, 03:18 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
This is going to have lots of opinions! I'm looking forward to evaluating each and every one!

I have a stand, on casters, with a padded bar where I have 6 bikes hanging by the front wheel. The spacing is kind of tight and you run the risk of scratches, plus I have to move at most two bikes to get to the third.

I have another stand with padded cradles that I use for the two cruisers because they're the bikes I reach for to take a quick spin with the kids.

Hanging by a wheel has the advantage of bypassing frame geometry, so mixte frames, ladies frames, modern MTB frames will all fit fine. I have no experience with hydraulic systems, so I'm not sure if hanging vertically is acceptable. I also like that the tires won't get crushed as they lose air. The displays in bike shops are probably ideal, but maybe not for long term if you're just storing them.
Old 11-30-20, 03:20 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Many bike shops use hooks and hang bikes upside down from one or both of the wheels. I have two bikes and hang one (aluminum frame) on the wall upright, with a hook that holds the top tube. My other bike (carbon frame) just gets leaned up against the wall below it. I also have a set of hooks in my basement and sometimes hang the aluminum bike by both wheels from those.

I've read on the internet that hanging carbon fiber bikes from the frame is a bad idea, so I've avoided doing this... but I also see people (and some shops) do this all the time so who knows? I've also read on the internet that hanging bikes with hydro brakes upside down cause issues with brake lines losing fluid (or something like that). My instinct is that hanging a bike by the front wheel only might cause issues with the headset, so if I were to one-wheel-hang a bike I'd probably do it by the rear wheel.

My guess is that the only potential damage here is from the actual hooks scratching or scuffing the finish of the wheels or frame. Rubber coatings should solve this.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-30-20, 03:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I hang my from hook in the garage. In the 10 years i've never had an issue. Maybe wrap them with tape to prevent scratching the paint.

Old 11-30-20, 03:31 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Suspension forks could leak out if upside down.
Old 11-30-20, 06:29 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
Thanks

Appreciate the many opinions.

I have bikes on a coated hook and in a stand.

And ..as mentioned above...bike shops hang bikes on one hook. Sometimes for years !!!
Old 11-30-20, 07:19 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
If a bike is hung upside down, blood from the fork can run into the headtube and cause a headtubeache.
Old 11-30-20, 09:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
There are 5 in my garage hanging like bats and they love it. Really like that they don’t take floor space. Even my wife’s 50 lb e-bike is suspended on from the ceiling using a pulley system. Woe if the rope snaps and it comes down on her car. (Insurance agent: You mean your car was hit on the hood by a falling 50 lb bicycle? Me, well it actually is 53 lbs)

Old 12-03-20, 03:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
My current set up for some of my bikes is the https://www.minoura.jp/english/storage/multiple/ds-4200.html however I am waiting for stock of the additional cradles so I can set up a second one in the basement for other bikes since I bought two stands and used cradles from the other one. It is not a bad set up but a little fiddly and not great for a bunch of drop bar bikes of the same size but not terrible. I would love to remove the book shelves near that rack and convert that wall to bike storage with some sturdy hooks and plenty of space between them with a few Willworx stands in between as needed.
Old 12-03-20, 04:11 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I try not to overthink this.

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-09-20, 08:19 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Over the years, I've stored them during the Winter season several different ways depending on the number of bikes at the time and the available space. Hanging from padded hooks has been the go to method. IMHO I believe that hanging upside down from two hooks is the best arrangement as it leaves more useable space below the bike (to store more unnecessary stuff ). Currently tho, the majority of my functional bikes hang on a padded hook by the rear wheel. I used to hang the front wheel from a separate hook but have recently started to simply hang the front wheel over the pedal. That does make for less useable space below the bike but does allow for more bikes to hang in the storage shed.
Old 12-09-20, 08:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The OP asked which is best. Best is indoors, elevated, climate controlled clean and resting in a padded cradle and suspended by the top tube.
Old 12-09-20, 09:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I try not to overthink this.

I love that they're locked together. At least some of them are.
Old 12-09-20, 09:13 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The OP asked which is best. Best is...
stored in the original unopened box

As long as it's not left out in the rain, does it really matter? With Covid, i've seen bike in the LBS for repair that have been sitting for 20+ years in the back of a garage. Most just need a tuneup and oil the chain. Some have dry rotted tires and maybe need new cables. As long as they're not rusted, all will work like new.

that's the bottom line.
Old 12-09-20, 09:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I love that they're locked together. At least some of them are.
What can I say?
I take care of my stuff.
Old 12-09-20, 09:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by GlennR

As long as it's not left out in the rain, does it really matter? With Covid, i've seen bike in the LBS for repair that have been sitting for 20+ years in the back of a garage. Most just need a tuneup and oil the chain. Some have dry rotted tires and maybe need new cables. As long as they're not rusted, all will work like new.

that's the bottom line.
I'm able to store only two bikes indoors, suspended in padded supports beneath the top tube. So, I choose the two that I'd like to preserve most. They come outside to be ridden only. The garage has outgassing from chemicals, lubricants, paints and the like. Also car exhaust as well as UV light. All of these are not great for bikes. Also, the garage can be where incidental bumps, scratches and (gulp) falls can occur to one's bike.
Old 12-09-20, 10:20 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

that's the bottom line.
Don't store on a concrete pad, its what rots the tires. My parents during the summer stored their bikes in the breezeway which had a painted concrete floor and every winter over just 5 months the tires would slightly rot and stick to the pain peeling the paint off. They've since epoxy coated it but concrete does some damage.
From there, anything goes as long as its dry.

OP, I like hooks since they take the least amount of space. Once I leave this position in a few more years I plan to buy my own place. At that point the best will be a shed dedicated to bike storage and equipment. Tall enough to hang the lightest bikes by the front or rear wheel with room for other bikes to sit beneath and a ramp for easy in and out.
Old 12-09-20, 10:47 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Depends, I think it’s whatever system gives you more room, to obtain more bikes.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 12-09-20, 11:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I might end up with three levels in my garage. Hooks are really annoying to me unless the bikes don't touch the wall. And I don't have room for that.
Old 12-09-20, 12:04 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

I have three types of bike storage in my garage. The previous owner had installed a Saris sliding bar adjustable rack with inverted hooks. This holds four bikes. Our two mountain bikes are on pulleys for ease of raising and lowering (they're tougher to handle overhead), and the pulley permits my wife to easily retrieve her MTB if I'm not home to do it for her. Third, we allow two bikes to floor stand on either side garage, nearest to the door opening, one for my wife (her daily) and the other, whatever I choose to have handy to ride that day.
Old 12-09-20, 01:22 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
So many bikes--

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I have three types of bike storage in my garage. The previous owner had installed a Saris sliding bar adjustable rack with inverted hooks. This holds four bikes. Our two mountain bikes are on pulleys for ease of raising and lowering (they're tougher to handle overhead), and the pulley permits my wife to easily retrieve her MTB if I'm not home to do it for her. Third, we allow two bikes to floor stand on either side garage, nearest to the door opening, one for my wife (her daily) and the other, whatever I choose to have handy to ride that day.
--make me realize I need top spend more money on musical instruments.
Old 12-09-20, 01:26 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
So you're going to hop on the bike weighing.... what 200 pounds or whatever, ride the bikes over pavement, curbs, rocks, ditches, if it's a mountain bike, all that and more, and you're worried about what the weight of the bike hanging from a hook will cause to the bike?

Get some perspective.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-09-20, 01:42 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
perspective

Originally Posted by Doohickie
So you're going to hop on the bike weighing.... what 200 pounds.
When I bought my first "10 speed" back in 1974 or -5, the bike shop was selling my hard on some French brand, which was way more expensive and nowhere near as simipatico as the Univega I favored. The salesman was arguing really hard that this French bike weighed 1 1/2 pounds less than the Univega. On a long bike trip, that 1 1/2 pounds was a huge drag. I was almost convinced. And then the light went off and I said: "Wait a minute. I weight 250 pounds (or whatever). That's way less than 1% of my weight!" And I bought the Univega. Never looked back. Its second owner was my older son, back in around 2000 or so.

I think we get caught up in specs when we should be taking a step back and--as you suggest--thinking about whether these things make a practical difference for our use.
Old 12-10-20, 12:34 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
When I bought my first "10 speed" back in 1974 or -5, the bike shop was selling my hard on some French brand, which was way more expensive and nowhere near as simipatico as the Univega I favored. The salesman was arguing really hard that this French bike weighed 1 1/2 pounds less than the Univega. On a long bike trip, that 1 1/2 pounds was a huge drag. I was almost convinced. And then the light went off and I said: "Wait a minute. I weight 250 pounds (or whatever). That's way less than 1% of my weight!" And I bought the Univega. Never looked back. Its second owner was my older son, back in around 2000 or so.

I think we get caught up in specs when we should be taking a step back and--as you suggest--thinking about whether these things make a practical difference for our use.
My loaded bicycle weight has been reduced by 40 pounds since July. Yes, I've lost that much weight.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Likes For Doohickie:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.