Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What are my coating/painting options

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 06:36 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

I'm about to wrap up building some custom simple ski bend aerobars. With the aid of some free welding, should run me about $15 complete. Now I'm trying to figure out how to cover the bare aluminum. A part functional/part aesthetic question. I usually don't wrap my bars, and like the shot peened (sp?) finish on the profile al. bars. The basic setup fee from a powdercoater busts my budget, so are there any paints with a tactile finish, or do I just run out to walmart, grab a can of krylon, and call it done? Any advice, is welcome. Thanks.
Old 04-14-08, 07:23 PM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
I'm about to wrap up building some custom simple ski bend aerobars. With the aid of some free welding, should run me about $15 complete. Now I'm trying to figure out how to cover the bare aluminum. A part functional/part aesthetic question. I usually don't wrap my bars, and like the shot peened (sp?) finish on the profile al. bars. The basic setup fee from a powdercoater busts my budget, so are there any paints with a tactile finish, or do I just run out to walmart, grab a can of krylon, and call it done? Any advice, is welcome. Thanks.
I'm not sure what your asking.

you can get the bars shot peened, call around at various automotive parts shops (shot peening valve springs is sometimes done AT the store) or machine shops.

you could also get a shot peened "look" by media blasting the bars with a coarse abrasive.

you can also get that same "look" using paint, but durability will suffer, especially over aluminum: you would shoot a texture coat first, like for a gravel guard, or bedliner, followed by your color coat of choice, but I would advise against this, as it'll look good, but probably last about a week before chipping.
Old 04-14-08, 08:18 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks, that helps a bit. Basically I have unfinished aluminum bars, and I need to finish them. Sounds like you are knowledgeable about shot peening, wheras I am not. I understand basically how it works I think - sort of like sand blasting, but where does the color come from? Is it applied after the process? Are stock bars (like profile design) shot peened and then powder coated or something?

I guess the short question is, is there anything I can do to finish the bars economically, that won't chip away after a week?
Old 04-15-08, 06:10 AM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Thanks, that helps a bit. Basically I have unfinished aluminum bars, and I need to finish them. Sounds like you are knowledgeable about shot peening, wheras I am not. I understand basically how it works I think - sort of like sand blasting, but where does the color come from? Is it applied after the process? Are stock bars (like profile design) shot peened and then powder coated or something?

I guess the short question is, is there anything I can do to finish the bars economically, that won't chip away after a week?
yes shot peening is JUST like sandblasting, except they use a metal bead.

any color would be applied after,....if you DO decide on paint be SURE to use an etching primer first for best durability.

most commercially manufactured bars will be powdercoated.