Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

matte or glossy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 12:11 PM
SSarah
n=x+1

Bikes: 2006 Giant TCR Comp2, 2003 Giant Iguana, Formerly a 1982(?) Allegro Ninja, now known as "the 'Coon", 1999 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
matte or glossy?

having my frame powder coated on monday, and i"ve been set on a matte dark gray.... now i'm wondering if glossy would be better....

You haz 2 cents?

glossy might be easier to keep clean.... also, I'm having rub on decals made (of vag!nas, of course), and i don't know if they'll stick properly to a matte finish....

tell me what you think. Seriously. I care what YOU think.
Old 04-26-08, 12:13 PM
tinydr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I'm thinking glossy... what's the frame anyhow?

Is this going to be a rolling vulva coloring book?

Old 04-26-08, 12:18 PM
SSarah
n=x+1

Bikes: 2006 Giant TCR Comp2, 2003 Giant Iguana, Formerly a 1982(?) Allegro Ninja, now known as "the 'Coon", 1999 Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's an old allegro ninja ('82, i think). It had some chippy and slightly rusty problems, so i stripped it and took a grinder to the brazons, deraillieur hanger, etc (some people don't that i did that--schmeh)....

I'm definitely leaning towards glossy too, for some reason... Exnay on the vulva colouring book, but.... well, my entire life is a vulva colouring book. There will be plenty of vagine on the saddle, anyway. I naked ride.
Old 04-26-08, 12:20 PM
SSarah
n=x+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone know if there is a difference with durability/chip/scratch factors?

Gotta keep it lookin' pimp.
Old 04-26-08, 12:34 PM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depends on the build imho.
Old 04-26-08, 12:49 PM
hudsong
North American Scum

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion, black matte is really the only color that looks better as a matte. Glossy grey is a great color, I know a girl with a pretty cool glossy grey frame
Old 04-26-08, 12:51 PM
NitroPye

I would go with mlossy. Or maybe gatte.

Old 04-26-08, 12:53 PM
tinydr

whattaya know... I didn't know what an allegro ninja was and went searchin'... sure enough it's your bike.

looks like a nice bike.

Last edited by tinydr; 04-26-08 at 01:12 PM.

Old 04-26-08, 12:53 PM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hudsong
In my opinion, black matte is really the only color that looks better as a matte. Glossy grey is a great color, I know a girl with a pretty cool glossy grey frame
matte grey is pretty cool imho
Old 04-26-08, 12:57 PM
hudsong
North American Scum

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahwe...n/photostream/

break out the 666pack
Old 04-26-08, 01:01 PM
tinydr

there's nothing scandalous, mostly cute dogs, cats, kids, some rock-n-rollers... nice scenery.

I love looking through people's flickr pictures. I'm convinced I'll some day come across a random photo of someone I know (hasn't happened yet).

Personally I think it's only ok (maybe half-ok) to mess with people's photos where they leave up semi-scandalous pics. And anyway, she's got all rights reserved turned on: no derivative works or she'll sue your ass!

Last edited by tinydr; 04-26-08 at 01:13 PM.

Old 04-26-08, 01:20 PM
666pack
tarck bike.com exile

Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hudsong
you rang?
Old 04-26-08, 01:22 PM
tinydr

Sarah if you don't have the flickr stats turned on already, you totally should, I wanna know if it lists bf as the referring site when your pics get a whole mess of views today (and probably tomorrow).

Old 04-26-08, 01:32 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
I'd go glossy, but I also think it's a shame to strip that original paint. that was a really pretty bike, and it said "ninja" on it!
Old 04-26-08, 01:36 PM
trons
yo yo yo yo yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattface
I'd go glossy, but I also think it's a shame to strip that original paint. that was a really pretty bike, and it said "ninja" on it!
i'm with this guy. but if you must, glossy...
Old 04-26-08, 01:41 PM
mellowdave
Красный Октябрь

Bikes: Kona Major Jake - CX/Gravel Kona Jake The Snake - Commuter, Pinarello Galileo - RoadieAF, Niner Air 9 - HT MTB.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red and white is soooooo cliche. Good call going grey. I think matte grey would be too cool, and original. Several companies did Gloss Grey and its just gonna look like a Trek or something. I think if you do the matte grey, you cant go wrong. Its powdercoat youre doing yeah? What kind of decals? I have done a number of matte projects, motorcycles mostly, but I have a buddy going matte black on his truck right now. Its pretty awesome when its done well. Im doing my cross bike in flat black with gloss orange trim.

Really, if the finish is done well, I mean that it is SUPPOSED to be matte, not just unfinished, then its about the same to clean. Its no harder.
Old 04-26-08, 02:10 PM
SSarah
n=x+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mellowdave
Red and white is soooooo cliche. Good call going grey. I think matte grey would be too cool, and original. Several companies did Gloss Grey and its just gonna look like a Trek or something. I think if you do the matte grey, you cant go wrong. Its powdercoat youre doing yeah? What kind of decals? I have done a number of matte projects, motorcycles mostly, but I have a buddy going matte black on his truck right now. Its pretty awesome when its done well. Im doing my cross bike in flat black with gloss orange trim.

Really, if the finish is done well, I mean that it is SUPPOSED to be matte, not just unfinished, then its about the same to clean. Its no harder.
I've made/altered a nerdy raccoon design that I'm having someone on ebay custom make into a vinyl "rub on" decal... so no clear background or anything... Having worked with matte stuff, you probably know-- will it stick properly?

This might be the deciding factor.... I want my 'coon bike to match my 'coon tail.
Old 04-26-08, 03:02 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
modern build = matte
old school build = glossy
Old 04-26-08, 03:07 PM
cheeva
mauve avenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go glossy, its got a nice vintage feel to it
Old 04-26-08, 05:52 PM
SSarah
n=x+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hrmmmm.... thanks for your help.... i'm still flip flopping btwn sleek glossy & original matte....

I'll post when it's done, i guess.... still open to arguments for one or the other... it's going to be a gruelling decision-making weekend.
Old 04-26-08, 06:37 PM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
matte

I paint, and I'm ALWAYS doing glossy, but I did my old GT mountain bike in a matte purple (eggplant), and it looked REALLY cool, even when filthy with dirt and mud,.....nice thing was just hose it off, and let dry, NO WAX

I'm doing my current GT FG in a matte british racing green, with all brushed silver everything else, and a chrome fork.

HOT ROD FLATZ are so frickkin easy to spray, just about anyone with a small compressor and a detail gun would be able to pull it off, as long as they shoot VERY LIGHT MULTIPLE COATS.
once dry it's always a perfect even matte finish

if you get powdercoat, get a sample piece done up first as you'll see powdercoats come in MANY different stages of "matte" or semi-gloss, and to be sure the one you choose will look like you think, get a sample piece cooked up first (have the coater use a small piece of tubing)
Old 04-26-08, 06:49 PM
SSarah
n=x+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j0e_bik3
matte

I paint, and I'm ALWAYS doing glossy, but I did my old GT mountain bike in a matte purple (eggplant), and it looked REALLY cool, even when filthy with dirt and mud,.....nice thing was just hose it off, and let dry, NO WAX

I'm doing my current GT FG in a matte british racing green, with all brushed silver everything else, and a chrome fork.

HOT ROD FLATZ are so frickkin easy to spray, just about anyone with a small compressor and a detail gun would be able to pull it off, as long as they shoot VERY LIGHT MULTIPLE COATS.
once dry it's always a perfect even matte finish

if you get powdercoat, get a sample piece done up first as you'll see powdercoats come in MANY different stages of "matte" or semi-gloss, and to be sure the one you choose will look like you think, get a sample piece cooked up first (have the coater use a small piece of tubing)
any clue about the decals? vill dey schtick?
Old 04-26-08, 07:22 PM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ya, dependink on der adhesivez dey shuut schticken joost fyne.

be suren to posten der pix, yah?
Old 04-26-08, 07:30 PM
SSarah
n=x+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j0e_bik3
ya, dependink on der adhesivez dey shuut schticken joost fyne.

be suren to posten der pix, yah?
thanks, homie. pics will be posted on my flickr site this week of fresh paint, and as i fumble around putting the gorgeous ***** back together. i'll link to it.... although someone else has already taken the liberty of publicizing my flickr.

***possibly leaning back towards matte.... i have great faith in the custom decal....
Old 04-27-08, 11:12 AM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently had my frame set powdercoated light grey.

I had several options besides color, from matte through satin to high gloss and even clear coat.

The powdercoater advised against the matte for various good reasons.

I settled on a very low gloss satin and I like it.

I think I would have regretted either a matte or a high gloss.