Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

At age 55, my commute might get much longer. Doable?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-02-21, 08:20 PM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts

I have been commuting about 10 miles round trip with a nice long hill on the way in. (Pittsburgh). I am moving and my commute would be about 19 miles one way or 38 miles total on mostly flat. I used to ride one 20 mile ride a week last year to keep myself in better shape. On top of that my job is working on my feet and lifting mostly light things for 8 hours, so I am physical there too.

I am thinking of riding for fun most of the time and one day a week ride in to work with the 38 mile round trip. What do you think? It does seem like a lot, but is it?

Another point is my main commuting bike has 700x40's with a Shamano 8sp, but I have a road bike with 700x25's. Do you think it would make a huge difference in effort? The 40's are very good tires with easy roll, but some tread. All weather.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-21, 08:27 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I'd get an e-bike.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-02-21, 08:29 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by tyrion
I'd get an e-bike.
No interest. Thanks.
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-02-21, 08:31 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Hey, if you have time and the route is good, enjoy!
Likes For randallr:
Old 03-02-21, 08:37 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Certainly doable. I was doing 40 mi round trip for about 7 yrs until Covid and WFH. I mostly sit at work though. I would usually just ride how I felt so Mon-Wed were a little faster than Thur & Fri. I also had the option to take a bus halfway home if it was miserable out or I was tired.

Definitely use your fasted bike and tires. 40mm tires will make a big difference to the amount of work you have to do. I used a backpack for many years and then switched to a pannier on a rack. A little more comfortable to ride without something on your back all the time. Rode with studded tires a few times and they really take a lot more effort!
Likes For gregf83:
Old 03-02-21, 08:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,511 Posts
I'd put decently fast 28s on the commuter if roads permit. Save the good bike for longer days and better weather. (If the commuter is not a drop bar bike I take that back. 20 miles is a long ways to go if you cannot get comfortably aero in a headwind.) Ride at least two days a week because with just one, it will feel hard. Two becomes routine. And (say) Tuesday, Thursday, weekend - you'll be rolling when spring hits!

Actually I might start on 32s or 35s just to get to know the road and its hazards before I moved up to 28s in the dark. And - important - first ride is on a Sunday! Maybe with a map so if any of it is sketchy, you can try other roads.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-02-21, 08:47 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by gregf83
Certainly doable. I was doing 40 mi round trip for about 7 yrs until Covid and WFH. I mostly sit at work though. I would usually just ride how I felt so Mon-Wed were a little faster than Thur & Fri. I also had the option to take a bus halfway home if it was miserable out or I was tired.

Definitely use your fasted bike and tires. 40mm tires will make a big difference to the amount of work you have to do. I used a backpack for many years and then switched to a pannier on a rack. A little more comfortable to ride without something on your back all the time. Rode with studded tires a few times and they really take a lot more effort!
Well it is good to know someone out there does a ride like this. There is a bus for the ride home if I am too beat, but I don't like buses much.

I used to commute on a 3" tire bike a lot, but 5 miles isn't nearly 20 one way. I probably will take my road bike as it would be faster. Lots of saddle time!

I think I am stuck with a backpack one my road bike. My commuter has a rack.

Thanks again.
Old 03-02-21, 08:52 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'd put decently fast 28s on the commuter if roads permit. Save the good bike for longer days and better weather. (If the commuter is not a drop bar bike I take that back. 20 miles is a long ways to go if you cannot get comfortably aero in a headwind.) Ride at least two days a week because with just one, it will feel hard. Two becomes routine. And (say) Tuesday, Thursday, weekend - you'll be rolling when spring hits!

Actually I might start on 32s or 35s just to get to know the road and its hazards before I moved up to 28s in the dark. And - important - first ride is on a Sunday! Maybe with a map so if any of it is sketchy, you can try other roads.
I do know the commute okay already and tried it when I was out of shape. I was beat for two days, but I am training this past two weeks and have one more month to get back to speed. Most of the commute is very nice, but the last 4 miles aren't fun as they are more dangerous with traffic. I take precautions and leave extra time to ride very safely. Been around this a long time, but never had a commute of nearing 20 miles one way. Probably best not to push it much. This is going to add a lot of time to my day, but riding a bike is great!

I am not getting any younger! 55 is very different than 40 to be honest. I like to pretend it isn't, but it is. lol
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-02-21, 09:03 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Ride at least two days a week because with just one, it will feel hard. Two becomes routine. .
I was just digesting this a bit. Might be a good idea. I think I am working on this job four days a week, so that helps. I might have to go 5 however.

Last edited by h_curtis; 03-02-21 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-02-21, 09:51 PM
h_curtis

Just another thought. I have three bikes to choose from. I can only take one.

1. Road bike 700x25
2. Commuter bike with Shamano 8 internal hub on rear and 700x40
c. A track bike fixed gear very light and fast with 700x23

My commute is flat and I mean flat. Sometimes I wonder if a fixed gear is easier since the thing is so light. Sure I top out at 18mph, but probably would cruise on either the road bike or the fixed at around 15mph or a little less depending how in shape I will be in. Could a fixed be a better choice? Probably not, but we are talking dead flat riding and sometimes I wonder if a fixed is the easiest bike since it is amazingly light and simple.
Old 03-03-21, 12:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Every day is doable, a few people ring up 10k years in our mileage thread. (200 work days x 40 miles = 8k, roughly.) But it’s obviously a bigger time and energy investment. Not the little bonbon of alone time and fresh air of a 5 mile ride.

Im sure there’s metrics how age plays in but I’m not sure it’s the most important thing. Really fit people seem indefinitely prolonged
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-03-21, 12:47 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by h_curtis
I think I am stuck with a backpack one my road bike.
That depends on what you'll be carrying. There are seat packs that are very good at storing a lot of things. For example, Ortlieb makes light and waterproof ones, and even the smaller size (11L) was big enough for me to carry anything I wanted.

In terms of a 20 mile flat ride, bike weight is pretty much a non-factor, but having the best tires for the terrain will make a major difference. Good tires offer both comfort and less rolling resistance, and do so in larger sizes without much penalty (I rode 23mm tires for a while to get less fender rub on my road bike -- the crappy roads quickly changed my mind). There is of course a need to factor in how much puncture resistance you need. With a 1 hour one-way commute, I much preferred riding fast, comfortable/supple tires over a puncture-resistant tough commuter-oriented tires, since I want to enjoy riding if I'm going to regularly spend that long on a bike.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-03-21, 07:23 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I think there is no question that this is doable, especially once a week. If you feel you need to work up to it, park along the path to lessen the distance. I doubt you will need to do that, but you also don't want to impact your job so it's your choice.

I'm 53 and haven't commuted that distance yet due to Covid, but I plan to do a 42-mile round trip a few times a week.
Likes For WonderMonkey:
Old 03-03-21, 07:52 AM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Every day is doable, a few people ring up 10k years in our mileage thread. (200 work days x 40 miles = 8k, roughly.) But it’s obviously a bigger time and energy investment. Not the little bonbon of alone time and fresh air of a 5 mile ride.

Im sure there’s metrics how age plays in but I’m not sure it’s the most important thing. Really fit people seem indefinitely prolonged
Thanks for this response. I might have to print it out and put it on my fridge. Especially the indefinitely prolonged part.
Old 03-03-21, 08:07 AM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by surak
That depends on what you'll be carrying. There are seat packs that are very good at storing a lot of things. For example, Ortlieb makes light and waterproof ones, and even the smaller size (11L) was big enough for me to carry anything I wanted.

In terms of a 20 mile flat ride, bike weight is pretty much a non-factor, but having the best tires for the terrain will make a major difference. Good tires offer both comfort and less rolling resistance, and do so in larger sizes without much penalty (I rode 23mm tires for a while to get less fender rub on my road bike -- the crappy roads quickly changed my mind). There is of course a need to factor in how much puncture resistance you need. With a 1 hour one-way commute, I much preferred riding fast, comfortable/supple tires over a puncture-resistant tough commuter-oriented tires, since I want to enjoy riding if I'm going to regularly spend that long on a bike.
You know you are right. I think I should get rid of the backpack for this venture. I am driving at least one day a week because I will have too much stuff to haul, but the other three days a week, I should be able to have just bike tools and a lunch with me. That isn't much really. Thanks.

My tire of choice for Pittsburgh has been the Continental 4 season on my road bike and track bike. I love everything about them for commuting. Tough, ride great and rolling resistance is very good. Highly recommend these. On my commuter bike I have Terra Speed 700x35 Fold Protection TR's. These are also very good for what they are.

Oops, it was late last night and I didn't realize my tires for commuting are 700x35.
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-03-21, 08:14 AM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I think there is no question that this is doable, especially once a week. If you feel you need to work up to it, park along the path to lessen the distance. I doubt you will need to do that, but you also don't want to impact your job so it's your choice.

I'm 53 and haven't commuted that distance yet due to Covid, but I plan to do a 42-mile round trip a few times a week.
Yeah, my 19 mile ride is the shortest safe distance I can ride. Today, I am riding 18 miles in to see how I feel. I have a month to train if I want to hit the ground running at the new job, but if it goes slower, I can live with that. I still have to work hard physically at work. That part is 7 1/2 hours of on my feet and lifting relatively light things.
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-03-21, 08:25 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Yeah, my 19 mile ride is the shortest safe distance I can ride. Today, I am riding 18 miles in to see how I feel. I have a month to train if I want to hit the ground running at the new job, but if it goes slower, I can live with that. I still have to work hard physically at work. That part is 7 1/2 hours of on my feet and lifting relatively light things.
I think it's been said, but what I may do is drive to work with my bike and ride home, then ride back to work the next morning. I may do that until I'm sure I can do it without wanting to take a nap during the day. If I have to do that for a bit to work up to doing it both ways in a day, that's what I'll do.

I don't commute to work very often, maybe twice a week, as I'd get tired of it and then I'd be off the bike for a month or so. I have to limit it to keep it fresh and fun. My work is sitting at a desk on my fat rump so I don't have the challenge you do of working hard in addition to biking. If I had to work hard I'd REALLY consider doing the one-way trick a few times until you are sure of things.
Likes For WonderMonkey:
Old 03-03-21, 08:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2580 Post(s)
Liked 1,902 Times in 1,193 Posts
I think it's been said, but what I may do is drive to work with my bike and ride home, then ride back to work the next morning. I may do that until I'm sure I can do it without wanting to take a nap during the day. If I have to do that for a bit to work up to doing it both ways in a day, that's what I'll do.
This would be my approach, at least to start with. I did this after my heart attack, took car to work Monday/Wednesday and cycled home, cycled to work Tuesday/Thursday and brought the car home. If you can get by without that car two nights a week, it'll let you build up some endurance without wearing you out. My commute was only 10 miles, but after two or three weeks I was bored driving the car in traffic, so I went back to the full round trip.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-03-21, 09:09 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
I have a 16-20 mile each way. Depending on the route. The shorter is basically 3 mountains so mostly I'm riding either up or down. The longer route puts me on a paved river trail for 12 miles. A little easier but longer.

I have driven part way and done 8 miles over two mountains. As I get ready to begin again here in the Spring, thats how I'll start.
Old 03-03-21, 09:53 AM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by stevel610
I have a 16-20 mile each way. Depending on the route. The shorter is basically 3 mountains so mostly I'm riding either up or down. The longer route puts me on a paved river trail for 12 miles. A little easier but longer.

I have driven part way and done 8 miles over two mountains. As I get ready to begin again here in the Spring, thats how I'll start.
Sounds like a good approach. I wish I had one more month to get ready to do this, but it is what it is. I don't think I can park somewhere to make it easier, but maybe? Like the idea.
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-03-21, 09:57 AM
h_curtis

I don't commute to work very often, maybe twice a week, as I'd get tired of it and then I'd be off the bike for a month or so. I have to limit it to keep it fresh and fun. My work is sitting at a desk on my fat rump so I don't have the challenge you do of working hard in addition to biking. If I had to work hard I'd REALLY consider doing the one-way trick a few times until you are sure of things.
I can't leave my car at work. One hitch on this is my bike doesn't fit in my car unless I take it apart. I don't have a rack on the car I will have there. This is 1,200 miles from my home and the car just doesn't have a rack of any kind. I have to even take my seat post off to fit my bike. My car with a rack isn't a good choice to drive 1,200 miles to get to my new work place. This is a contract job and temporary for a month or two, then I come home.
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-03-21, 10:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Many commuters on this forum have done mixed-mode commuting...riding part way to a bus or train.

I'm 59 and had been commuting 18 miles round trip until recently. My weekend fun rides are 20-35 miles. My stamina is good, my strength is pretty good, my joints are pretty good, and I still recover pretty good. The only thing that has really suffered over the years is my average speed.

I agree with some of the others...if you have the time, you can do it.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-03-21, 10:47 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
You can try it and see how you do. I think it's going to be just fine.
Likes For burritos:
Old 03-03-21, 12:56 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 1,255 Times in 725 Posts
Just another thought. I have three bikes to choose from. I can only take one.

1. Road bike 700x25
2. Commuter bike with Shamano 8 internal hub on rear and 700x40
c. A track bike fixed gear very light and fast with 700x23

My commute is flat and I mean flat. Sometimes I wonder if a fixed gear is easier since the thing is so light. Sure I top out at 18mph, but probably would cruise on either the road bike or the fixed at around 15mph or a little less depending how in shape I will be in. Could a fixed be a better choice? Probably not, but we are talking dead flat riding and sometimes I wonder if a fixed is the easiest bike since it is amazingly light and simple.
Mostly flat in Pittsburgh? Where?
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-03-21, 01:36 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I ride all the way in and all the way home on my commute when weather permits. 46 miles round trip, I am 65. Don't do that every day, however.
Likes For randallr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.