Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

want a carbon fiber bike, but nervous

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

want a carbon fiber bike, but nervous

Old 04-09-21, 05:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I have tried a similar tactic with vintage guitars. I had similar success.
Yeah but most guitar people probably know something about guitars. 🙂
Old 04-09-21, 05:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,008 Times in 3,788 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Yeah but most guitar people probably know something about guitars. 🙂
Generally speaking, yes, but you might be surprised how many know very little.
Old 04-09-21, 05:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Might be careful with thwith when CF tubes do break suddenly, and they do, shards will fly everywhere and they are sharp. I've seen it when CF sailboat masts fail - sharp shards fall everywhere.
Shards = fast.
Old 04-09-21, 05:44 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
My carbon bikes scare me to death. I keep adding more carbon just to try to make them safe, but I’m still afraid of them assploding.

Steel is worse because those welds might fail, and then the frame would just fall apart. Aluminum cracks, dents and bends.

I thing a wood frame would be best. But, it’d have to be a good, solid wood like Oak.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-09-21, 05:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
My carbon bikes scare me to death. I keep adding more carbon just to try to make them safe, but I’m still afraid of them assploding.

Steel is worse because those welds might fail, and then the frame would just fall apart. Aluminum cracks, dents and bends.

I thing a wood frame would be best. But, it’d have to be a good, solid wood like Oak.
No, I would want ash from the same forest that supplied the wood used to make Robin Hood's bow. So I can have a bike with "provenance."
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-09-21, 06:07 PM
motopokep
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Last edited by motopokep; 04-13-21 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-09-21, 06:44 PM
Mojo31
-------

Why don’t you spend $1,000 - $1500 on an aluminum bike. You won’t have to go cheap Chinese, and will get much better components than a comparably priced CF bike.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-09-21, 07:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Why don’t you spend $1,000 - $1500 on an aluminum bike. You won’t have to go cheap Chinese, and will get much better components than a comparably priced CF bike.
Agreed, a top of the line alloy bike will be better than a cheap carbon bike.
Old 04-09-21, 07:15 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Agreed, a top of the line alloy bike will be better than a cheap carbon bike.
Yep, agreed. A decent alu bike will have better components than a similarly-priced carbon one, and will still have an excellent frame.
Old 04-09-21, 07:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Yep, agreed. A decent alu bike will have better components than a similarly-priced carbon one, and will still have an excellent frame.
A few years ago when Trek introduced the Emonda ALR they also offered the Emonda S which was carbon. They have since discontinued the Emonda S and only offer the SL and SLR which are more expensive. This way they don't have an alloy and carbon fiber bikes competing against each other... the ALR was the better bike in that price range.
Old 04-09-21, 07:50 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
A few years ago when Trek introduced the Emonda ALR they also offered the Emonda S which was carbon. They have since discontinued the Emonda S and only offer the SL and SLR which are more expensive. This way they don't have an alloy and carbon fiber bikes competing against each other... the ALR was the better bike in that price range.
When I was looking for a new road bike a month ago I was intent on getting an Emonda ALR but there were none to be had in my size, and no more on the horizon. I ended up getting a Specialized Tarmac SL6, for about 1400 bucks more, with the same 105 groupset the Emonda had. I dont regret it at all because the Tarmac fits like a glove and rides great, but I would have bought the Emonda, if available, and if it fitted.

Before I got the Tarmac, I actually had a BMC Teammachine ALR 2, with 105, but returned it because the seatpost kept slipping. The BMC carbon equivalent to that bike, the SLR, was about 1200 bucks more than the ALR. I could have got that but by then I'd lost faith in the fancy, internal, seatpost bolt system the BMCs have
Old 04-09-21, 10:12 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,002 Posts
Yep, I was looking at the Emonda SL back in late 2015 when the ALR first came out. My LBS had gotten a couple in and one of them had this almost non-existent tiny little ding at the rear of the top tube. The bike was still in the box and they were planning to send it back to Trek. I loved the color, and I told them I was interested in it, and I knew the frame dimensions were the same as the SL, so it should fit me well. After they built it up and I took it for a 10 mile spin, and I was like, yep, this is coming home with me. I had a Carbon Synapse that I hated which is why I was looking at the Emonda SL to begin with and since I had the Synapse on my car at the time, I just had them move the Ultegra 6800 group from the Synapse to the ALR and I put the 105 on another bike. As luck would have it while I was sitting in the shop shooting the crap, I sold the Synapse frame to a guy looking for a carbon frame only. Win, win, win for all involved. The ALR is a fantastic bike and it weighs 16.1 lbs with pedals which was less than the Emonda S and SL. I also put a FSA SL-K seat post, Stem and handlebars to sweeten the ride.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-09-21, 10:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by motopokep
As far as the comment about being so afraid that I should avoid cars and airplanes. Well, I can't walk to work every day, and I can't walk or drive to the Caribbean for vacation. The alternative to driving and flying is walking, which is not practical. Here, we are talking about a different scenario: A leisure activity, and the alternative to CF is aluminum. Do I want a CF bike? Yes. Am I willing to accept the risks at this point in my life for this kind of hobby?
You are completely missing the point. CF is not more risky than any other material used to build bicycle frames.

This might wreck you...aluminum bicycle frames break, too.
Old 04-09-21, 11:35 PM
kar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Boeing 777 wings which extend out from the fuselage over 200 ft are made from carbon fiber, I am pretty sure you will be safe on a CF frame.
In fact our bodies are made up of Carbon mostly if you exclude water percentage. Even with water, it is still the 3rd most abundant material. In fact all organic life is made of Carbon and it is what that gives stability to the bonding inside us.

I was also nervous like the OP but then I started talking to carbon in my body and they said "look at yourself, you will be just fine man."
Well, I have to see that when I crash on my upcoming Carbon bike

I have ordered my first Carbon road frameset (highend). Should be coming by end of next week.
Likes For kar:
Old 04-10-21, 06:50 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by kar
In fact our bodies are made up of Carbon mostly if you exclude water percentage. Even with water, it is still the 3rd most abundant material. In fact all organic life is made of Carbon and it is what that gives stability to the bonding inside us.

I was also nervous like the OP but then I started talking to carbon in my body and they said "look at yourself, you will be just fine man."
Well, I have to see that when I crash on my upcoming Carbon bike

I have ordered my first Carbon road frameset (highend). Should be coming by end of next week.
But, your body does not contain epoxy resin. That stuff is like a ticking time bond.
Old 04-10-21, 06:51 AM
motopokep
Banned

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Last edited by motopokep; 04-13-21 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 06:51 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
The OP's concern is not uncommon. By far most of the "Is this scratch / nick / cigarette burn safe to ride" threads on BF are for CF frames and parts. Even if one may not fear serious injury/death due to catastrophic failure, they may be adverse to the costs of replacement for what may be considered inconsequential damage on metal bikes. It is a valid concern.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-10-21, 09:42 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
I'll come back with a few links about CF failures.
No need - Link

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 04-10-21, 09:46 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Neither the OP nor I "hold a material [i.e., carbon fiber] suspect based on the [mere] possibility that someone, somewhere is building something crappy with it." We were both discussing <$1,000 carbon fiber bikes of unknown origins. Now of course we do not have industry experience (like you do) so perhaps the $1,000 point is not the threshold between safe and unsafe. But your next post (#65) seems to reinforce, rather than contradict, this concern.
I'd argue there isn't a price threshold that truly indicates safety....

Eh...I take that back - if someone is offering an unknown chinese frame from $50 then I'd avoid that like the plague.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 04-10-21, 10:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
And you ignore all the vids with aluminum and steel bikes failing? In any case they are all few and far between.
Old 04-10-21, 10:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Do you know the term "clickbait?"

There are millions of carbon bikes ridden every day, millions of aluminum bikes, dozens of titanium bikes ... all using carbon forks. Some of every kind of anything is going to have trouble. The are plenty of wrecked metal frames too, just no one is trying to scare you about them. Probably almost all carbon failures happen to something that was already damaged in a crash and usually showing signs of trouble. That part is always left out for dramatic effect - it asploded for no reason!

I'm about to take my carbon bike with carbon brake levers out for a scenic loop. Sure hope those brake levers don't break for no reason. They haven't for lots of years and people have looked at them wrong, so I hope I'm ok. If you never hear from me again, don't buy carbon.
Old 04-10-21, 11:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Iride01
And you ignore all the vids with aluminum and steel bikes failing? In any case they are all few and far between.
People have been using metal since the bronze age, it isn't new and mysterious. You're spot on about the fact that all frame materials fail, all very rarely. I think it's like how a lot of people are afraid to fly and drive instead. The facts are clear but people can't shake the feeling...
Old 04-10-21, 07:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,002 Posts
But, your body does not contain epoxy resin. That stuff is like a ticking time bond.

Old 04-10-21, 07:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The OP's concern is not uncommon. By far most of the "Is this scratch / nick / cigarette burn safe to ride" threads on BF are for CF frames and parts. Even if one may not fear serious injury/death due to catastrophic failure, they may be adverse to the costs of replacement for what may be considered inconsequential damage on metal bikes. It is a valid concern.
People who are afraid to ride a CF frame with a scratch or nick don’t understand the fundamental material properties of CF.
Old 04-10-21, 08:34 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I'd argue there isn't a price threshold that truly indicates safety....

Eh...I take that back - if someone is offering an unknown chinese frame from $50 then I'd avoid that like the plague.
Is that $50 before or after using the $2 off coupon?
Likes For tomato coupe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.