Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cutting aluminum tubing with an elec. miter saw?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 08:35 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

I'm no metalurgist, so I thought I would ask the question before ruining some tubes, or a tool. I am trying to cut 7/8", .049" wall thickness 6061-T6 aluminum alloy tubing. I have a 10" miter saw in the garage. It has a carbide tipped blade for fast wood cutting. When I read the shop manual for the saw, it says to use a carbide tipped blade to cut things like aluminum window screen extrusions and the like, but surprise , nothing about making bike parts.

So...will that carbide tipped wood blade work for the tubing, or do I need a cutting disc like I see in the home improvement stores? Or is that disc for steel angles and the like only? There seems to be a difference when cutting ferrous vs. non-ferrous metals from the literature I've read. Any advice?
Old 04-14-08, 09:57 PM
gmcttr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aluminum will clog an abrasive disk. The miter saw and carbide blade will work very well. The more teeth on the blade, the better. I have cut up to 1" thick aluminum plate with my table saw and a fine toothed carbide blade.

Wear eye protection. You don't want a hot metal chip in your eye.
Old 04-14-08, 10:31 PM
jjvw
MFA

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Nouvo Record; 1965 Hercules; 1982-83 Schwinn Mystery MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. It should work. Cut slowly, though, and clamp your work to the cutting bed. In my younger days, I once cut too quickly through some aluminum square tube stock. It bound up and tore apart with big pieces wedged deep inside the blade guard. Don't do that.

Even better and safer if you have one, use a tubing cutter for copper plumbing. Again go slowly to avoid crushing the tube.
Old 04-14-08, 10:39 PM
anti.team

Bikes: '98 Kona Kula, '8X Univega Sportour SS, '81 Trek 710

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your carbide-tipped miter saw will hardly notice cutting .049" tubing. I have definitely cut thicker than that without any issues. Like they said above, the more teeth the better but most carbide-tipped blades should be fine.
Old 04-14-08, 10:58 PM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
I'm no metalurgist, so I thought I would ask the question before ruining some tubes, or a tool. I am trying to cut 7/8", .049" wall thickness 6061-T6 aluminum alloy tubing. I have a 10" miter saw in the garage. It has a carbide tipped blade for fast wood cutting. When I read the shop manual for the saw, it says to use a carbide tipped blade to cut things like aluminum window screen extrusions and the like, but surprise , nothing about making bike parts.

So...will that carbide tipped wood blade work for the tubing, or do I need a cutting disc like I see in the home improvement stores? Or is that disc for steel angles and the like only? There seems to be a difference when cutting ferrous vs. non-ferrous metals from the literature I've read. Any advice?
carbide blade, fastest speed, and use the wax too,...

it'll cut easy, you'll see

don't forget to deburr the cut edge when done or you'll slice your self open on it.
Old 04-15-08, 04:09 AM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks! That is good news! Now what kind of wax is this, where do I get it, and is it applied to the blade or the aluminum? I would go the tubing cutter route as I have one, but I am making these cuts at a 22.5 degree angle.
Old 04-15-08, 05:59 AM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Thanks! That is good news! Now what kind of wax is this, where do I get it, and is it applied to the blade or the aluminum? I would go the tubing cutter route as I have one, but I am making these cuts at a 22.5 degree angle.
go down to the home depot, and look in the tool section, where they have the table saw blades you'll see a paper tube with waxy goo for making smooth cuts in wood or whatever (or just ask for it). then just turn on the table saw and push the wax stick into the blade for a second, and then make your cut.
Old 04-15-08, 07:21 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
What you pay for a new saw blade you can buy a cheap pipe cutter and the cut will be nice and straight.
Old 04-15-08, 07:39 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by George
What you pay for a new saw blade you can buy a cheap pipe cutter and the cut will be nice and straight.
Unless of course he wants angled cuts.
Old 04-15-08, 08:22 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just be careful and cut slowly through the aluminum. The saw blades your using are intended for wood so the rake on the teeth are at a much higher angle than if they were designed for cutting metal. This can cause a tooth to hangup in the aluminum. If that happens the tubbing could be thrown out and away from the blade causing serious injury. Cutting very slowly reduces the chance of this happening. If your going to be doing a lot of cutting you should consider purchasing a blade made for cutting aluminum like this.

https://www.toolstoday.com/p-5309-alu...-material.aspx
Old 04-15-08, 08:43 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by gmcttr
The more teeth on the blade, the better.

+1, I've cut a lot of PVC pipe with an 80 tooth carbide blade (expensive) on my 12" Dewalt mitre saw, it makes extremely smooth cuts. I expect it would do well with aluminum tubing, too-
Old 04-15-08, 08:45 AM
dwood
Keeping A Low Profile

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport [1998], Dahon Speed P8 2007, 1994 Diamond Back Ascent and a couple of Schwinn Stingrays [one boys, one girls] from circa 1977.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear hearing protection also. Not only for this . . . but anytime you use a power saw or grinder. I didn't and my high-frequency hearing is shot. Save it while you can.
Old 04-15-08, 09:43 AM
dayve

Bikes: Giant OCR 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
+1, I've cut a lot of PVC pipe with an 80 tooth carbide blade (expensive) on my 12" Dewalt mitre saw, it makes extremely smooth cuts. I expect it would do well with aluminum tubing, too-
+2

I did a project where I needed to cut a bunch of 1/2" HDPE sheeting (the white cutting board material) on my table saw. I picked up a 10" 80-tooth carbide blade from Harbor Freight for $12.99. I have also used it on my mitre saw to cut PVC pipe. It did an outstanding job at both.

They also have a 12" version for $29.99 if you need that size. Both of my saws are 10".