Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2020 Trek Top Fuel - new rear shock

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 04:46 PM
willcasp 

Bikes: 2020 Trek Top Fuel Project One, 2021 Pivot Point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am picking up my new Trek Top Fuel next month. I am looking to upgrade the shocks before I pick it up. Did you find a shock that fits this bike that you like?
Old 06-17-20, 05:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
You want to upgrade the shock AND the fork? What comes in it now and why do you think you need to upgrade them? You did not even say WHICH top fuel you bought.
Old 06-17-20, 05:19 PM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very sloppy of me!

Top Fuel 9.8 XT. I am ordering it through the Project One program, which lets me customize the paint.
I will be upgrading the forks and shock. I have the forks figure out. The shock is a bit pickier, is a lot of options won't fit.

It comes with:
Fork: Fox Performance 34 Step-Cast, Float EVOL air spring, GRIP 2-position damper, dual remote, tapered steerer, 44mm offset, Boost110, 15mm bolt-on axle, 120mm travel
Shock: Fox Performance Float, 2-position DPS damper, TwistLoc remote, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 190x45mm

For the Fork, I am looking at the Fox Factory 34 Step-Cast, Float EVOL air spring, FIT4 2-position damper, dual remote, tapered steerer, 44mm offset, Kashima Coat, Boost110, 15mm bolt-on axle, 120mm travel, which comes on the Top Fuel 9.9 XTR model

For the shock, I am checking with Trek to see if I can fit a Factory Float DPX2. My fall back will be to try the shock that comes stock on the Top Fuel 9.9 XTR, the Fox Factory Float, 2-position DPS damper, Kashima Coat, 190x45mm.

I also wanted to check if anyone on the forum had a better idea.
Old 06-18-20, 09:45 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
A better idea?

The fork and shock on that bike are fine. Leave it be. You aren't gaining anything upgrading especially at the price you will be paying for those items.
Old 06-18-20, 11:23 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
I think you have it thought out, if the DPX2 fits, that's the one you want if you're going all out. The compression adjust on the factory model seems really nice. Not sure if you're a big rider but I know a fellow who's over 200 and found the stepcast forks noodlely. But be breaks crank arms often so he's pretty abusive in that way. Sounds like a really nice build, any plans to go electronic?
Old 06-18-20, 11:34 AM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I weigh in at 183lb now. I am down from 267lb last August. Heading to between 160-170 before I call it done. I should be ok from the weight front for this setup!

I like my shock really cushy on the occasional downhill, locked out going up hill, and firm on the flat. If I can only have two, locked out and firm are what I would want. I don't go downhill very often, and if I were, I would go between locked out and cushy.

On the electrics, I have Dura Ace Di2 on one of my road bikes. Absolutely love it. I do like to ride in remote areas, so I want to keep the off road riding machine as simple as possible, therefore, no electric shifting.

I am looking into power meter options. I use Garmin pedals on my road bikes. Looking for a crank or hub based solution for this bike. I am a big fan of telemetry.
Old 06-22-20, 03:31 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
DPX2 doesn't really make sense for an XC bike. You would be throwing away the factory custom shock tune, and gaining significant weight for a bike that probably won't see hard enough downhill use for the additional oil volume's increased consistency to be meaningful.

If you want to match, you can ask for the factory version, although in that case I think it may literally just be Kashima coating as a difference.

Talk to Trek--I'm sure they would love to configure your bike with whatever is most expensive.
Old 06-22-20, 11:14 AM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpach
DPX2 doesn't really make sense for an XC bike. You would be throwing away the factory custom shock tune, and gaining significant weight for a bike that probably won't see hard enough downhill use for the additional oil volume's increased consistency to be meaningful.

If you want to match, you can ask for the factory version, although in that case I think it may literally just be Kashima coating as a difference.

Talk to Trek--I'm sure they would love to configure your bike with whatever is most expensive.
I am talking with the local Trek shop. The bike will see the occasional run at Whistler. I plan to either lock the shock out, or put it on a semi serious downhill, hence the idea of this model.

The Trek folks will pretty much sell me whatever I ask for, which is why I came to the community to see if there was anything that I wasn't thinking about. I have been fairly deliberate in all of my upgrades.
Old 06-26-20, 07:10 PM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick update from Fox. Apparently, they can modify a Factory 36 to be 130mm travel for the front, as well as make it work with lockouts. The DPX2 can also be modified to fir the Top Fuel. Will run ~$2K USD to do them both. Won't be available until September though.
Old 06-27-20, 10:50 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Sounds like a lot of 'bench-racing' to me.
You want a XC bike that also does DH.... with a lot of suspension....
Can't have it all. Buy the Top Fuel 9.9 XTR and ride the bike.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 10-22-21, 09:59 AM
dbaldus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willcasp
Quick update from Fox. Apparently, they can modify a Factory 36 to be 130mm travel for the front, as well as make it work with lockouts. The DPX2 can also be modified to fir the Top Fuel. Will run ~$2K USD to do them both. Won't be available until September though.
Hey just checking if you had any luck getting the dpx2 to run on the top fuel?! I think its a great idea but am surprised it fit with the piggyback oil chamber! Very curious to see how it turned out!
Old 10-22-21, 10:04 AM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbaldus
Hey just checking if you had any luck getting the dpx2 to run on the top fuel?! I think its a great idea but am surprised it fit with the piggyback oil chamber! Very curious to see how it turned out!
This stuff took forever to come in. At the last minute, someone from Fox said they tried the DPx2 on the Top Fuel, and it did not fit. So I did not go with it. Fox also recommended that I stick with the 34 in the front. Super happy with the new forks and all the adjustments. This is how it all ended up.

2020 Trek Top Fuel Project One
Likes For willcasp:
Old 10-22-21, 10:07 AM
dbaldus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks awesome! I've currently got mine set up stock but am planning on throwing a larger fork on and maybe swapping shocks to something with a tad more volume. Personally I think the bike punches way above its weight as far as capability goes!
Old 10-22-21, 10:24 AM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The changes I made are as follows:
Fox Factory 34 forks in the front, GRIP 2.. I hit that target market for people with OCD that this thing is made for. lots of adjustments
Stages XTR crank - I wanted a power meter, also wanted flat pedals.. the XT cranks were not available.
Cane Creek bar ends - when I rode mountain bikes before in the early 90's, these were a must have... now, I think I want to take them off at the next grip change.. bars are a lot wider now, and they just don't make sense.
Maguro MK7 two piston brakes on the back and front. 203 rotor on the front. These things stop on a dime, whether you do or not. Have gone over the bars on a couple of occasions.. but, they stop the bike on just about anything.
Shockwiz on the front and back suspension - this helps fuel my OCD issues. I have learned a lot about suspension tuning with these..
Wider seat - bike fitter recommendation for my road bikes.. I don't sit on this seat long enough, but it is there.
Apple Air tag - mounted one of these using the WAHOO cadence sensor holder zip tied to the top of the seat post and under the seat. Amazing how many folks have iPhones, walk past the bike, and keep the location database current.
Bontrager dual lever seatpost/lockout switch - got rid of the twist grip nonsense. I also just have lockout on the shock, and not the forks. A bit surprised that the new 2022 model removed the lockouts.
This bike is pretty amazing. Super happy with it.