Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Axle Broke

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear Axle Broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 01:59 PM
MeagreAger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rear Axle Broke

I was experiencing drag on my rear tire, my chain broke as well on a recent ride, so I thought to remove it and test to see how it span when out of the rear dropouts. As soon as I undid the quick release, one part of the axle slid out. From what little research I've done, I understand that commonly an axle consists of the axle itself and then a pair of lock nuts, spacers, and cones, which when attached to the hub form the race in which the bears roll around. I need a new axle (as well as bearings and lubricant) but I don't know which kind I ought to buy, and also, what tools I would need if I wanted to install it myself. Am I correct that I would also need a freewheel tool to remove the one still attached to the hub as soon in the pictures? I am considering taking it to the bike mechanic if the cost of buying all the tools would be more expensive, and I suppose not a worthwhile investment. Thanks for helping me with your expertise in this matter.

Free wheel is Shimano MF TZ-500 6 speed

Last edited by MeagreAger; 08-20-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 02:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Removing the FW definitely makes life easier when servicing the DS bearings.
You don't have to reach into a "hole".
You want to measure the DO spacing.
The axle you want (10mm) will be 11mm longer than the spacing.
I suggest you buy new bearings while you're at it and add some fresh grease.
The rear uses 1/4" balls, 9 per side.
126mm spacing is a whisker (1/32") under 5". Each 3mm additional is about 1/8".
Expect 126, 130 or 135mm spacing.
You want a Park Tools FR-1.2 or equivalent. Also an adjustable (or not) wrench that opens to 1".
Might be easier to take the wheel to a bike shop for a 1 time fee if you don't plan on working on your bike.

EDIT-
You'll also need a 17mm wrench for the lock nuts and a CONE WRENCH to fit your size cone.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 08-20-20 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 02:57 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
You shouldn't need to remove the freewheel. just get a replacement axle and install the bolt on parts from the ends of your broken axle (if they are in good shape). Like said above you will want to overhaul your bearings and inspect the surfaces first.

Park tool has excellent videos
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...and-adjustment

Amazon sells replacement axles. They are pretty generic, if you get one that is too long it can be cut down. But measure the length of your old one and you should be able to buy the correct length
https://www.amazon.com/HUB-AXLE-SET-...40303049&psc=1
Old 08-20-20, 03:01 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The "cups" you refer to are called the "cones", BTW. Here is how to adjust them using a cone wrench which is sized to fit their flats and another wrench for the lock nuts: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html
Old 08-20-20, 05:20 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Also try to find a good quality axle made of 4130 chromoly steel. Freewheel hubs break axles more often than the newer cassette style. There used to be a few suppliers of good quality axle upgrades available when freewheels were all that were being used. Harder to find now but Wheels Mfg. https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-axles.html makes them at around $35..ouch, but you can be sure of the quality with them. Some searching may turn up something cheaper. Also make sure to get the dropouts aligned as if they are not perfectly parallel it can cause a bowing stress on the new axle and shorten it's life.
Old 08-20-20, 05:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They do that.. long spacer under freewheel exerts leverage flexing the axle ..

I found https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-axles.html to be tempered less brittle hard than original Campagnolo..

they're not cheap, if cost is important to you..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-20-20 at 05:36 PM.