Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's the process for buying 2nd set of wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 08:54 PM
basscadet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Canyon Ultimate SLX that has non-aero wheels: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FMC

This is a disc-brake bike. At some point I want to buy a set of aero wheels. Since this is a XD-R freehub bike, will it be hard for me to find a XD-R compatible, disc-brake-capable set of CF aero wheels? Is it simply a question of finding SRAM centerline rotors and getting them mounted to a XD-R set of wheels? Is putting these rotors on the wheels something I can do or would a bike shop need to mount and fit the new wheels to my bike?

Overall - just trying to understand if I need to spend an extra $2000 now to buy aero wheels already sold with the bike or if I can "get away" with putting off the aero wheel purchase until a later date without creating a massive headache for myself.

Thanks to all input and opinions.
Old 09-02-20, 04:05 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Write to Canyon rather than depending on the committee here. When ever I have technical questions, I write to the manufacturer, or true experts like Leonard Zinn and others.
Old 09-02-20, 05:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Your options will probably be more limited, but it's just like buying any other wheelset with a swappable freehub option (Shimano/SRAM 11s, Campy 12, XDR, etc) - it'll come with/be able to take an XDR or it won't; just depends on the manufacturer.

Not surprisingly, when I bought my Zipps (which is owned by SRAM) a couple months ago, they were widely available with XDR but I had to wait to scrounge a pair with a Shimano 11s. I was tempted to buy the XDR version and just swap the freehub body, but that would have been an extra 100 bucks or so.
Old 09-02-20, 06:50 AM
basscadet

Some of the advice I've received here is that I should go 12 speed SRAM as that is more "future proofed" but it seems you are right in that the options are limited today. I'm OK if this is a COVID thing or XDR is just too new, but hope this isn't indicative of what to expect if I buy SRAM over Shimano.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Old 09-02-20, 07:10 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
If your goal is to be able to easily swap-out the two wheelsets, the job will be easier if the hub, cassette, and brake rotors on both wheel sets are the same brand and models so everything lines-up correctly (or hopefully they will). For the disc rotors, there are shims you can buy so that you can line-up the rotors on each wheel set and not have to adjust your brake pads each time you swap wheels. Likewise, there are shims for the rear cassette so that you don't end-up with a poor shifting when you swap between wheel sets. If you don't want to do the shim thing, start with buying the same brands and models of each part and go from there. In your case, I think Reynolds makes their own hubs, so it'd just be easiest for you to buy another set of Reynolds wheels.
Old 09-02-20, 08:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
1) See pretty wheels.
2) Lust after pretty wheels.
3) Purchase pretty wheels.

Most good wheels/ hubs will be able to take XDR drivers, but just make sure.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-02-20, 08:32 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Unless you're racing at a high level, aero wheels wheels may just be a waste of money. One of the disadvantages of buying a complete bike, is many included items may not be what you want, like the cassette range, the chain ring sizes, the stem length or bar width and in your case, the non-aero wheels. That's why I build my bikes from the frame up. Each component will be exactly what I want.

I notice that the stem length is only 90 mm and the bar reach only 74 mm, on their bike with my desired stack and reach. I'd need at least 10 mm more stem length, even with my short torso.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 09-02-20, 08:45 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by basscadet
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Canyon Ultimate SLX that has non-aero wheels: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FMC

This is a disc-brake bike. At some point I want to buy a set of aero wheels. Since this is a XD-R freehub bike, will it be hard for me to find a XD-R compatible, disc-brake-capable set of CF aero wheels? Is it simply a question of finding SRAM centerline rotors and getting them mounted to a XD-R set of wheels? Is putting these rotors on the wheels something I can do or would a bike shop need to mount and fit the new wheels to my bike?

Overall - just trying to understand if I need to spend an extra $2000 now to buy aero wheels already sold with the bike or if I can "get away" with putting off the aero wheel purchase until a later date without creating a massive headache for myself.

Why don't you call them and see if they will upgrade the wheels for you instead of purchasing an entirely different set.
Old 09-02-20, 08:46 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
1) See pretty wheels.
2) Lust after pretty wheels.
3) Purchase pretty wheels.
4) Mock other people's wheels.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-02-20, 08:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't see how there's any additional headache in buying aero wheels later. Everything will fit unless you get "creative" with it. At worst you might need to change the chain length, but just duplicate the cassette to avoid that. Maybe you'd have to adjust the disc brakes?

But if you're for sure going to get them later, why not just configure the new bike that way now?
Old 09-02-20, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Typically if you buy the version of the bike with the stuff you want, you'll be dollars to the good, instead of upgrading after the fact.

However if you get the non-aero wheels and ride them for few thousand miles and record all your ride data, then get some aero wheels, you'll be able to see what they do for you.

If you ride less than 40 miles per ride, then maybe not so much difference to be worth the expense, IMO. Unless you are ultra competitive looking at every last second on every segment of your rides.
Old 09-02-20, 04:03 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts

Why not just buy an Aeroad for similar price?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=SR%2FBK

At only 0.5 kg heavier it seems like a reasonable choice.
Old 09-02-20, 04:07 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by jadocs
Why don't you call them and see if they will upgrade the wheels for you instead of purchasing an entirely different set.
When I bought my Canyon road bike at the beginning of summer, their FAQ page stated clearly that they don't do customization. You are expected to buy what they have in-stock, as-is.

Last edited by BoraxKid; 09-02-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 04:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
4) Mock other people's wheels.
5. Post in here, asking if you got a good deal.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-02-20, 05:54 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'm seeing limited availability of many models and sizes. Not great if you can't buy what you want. Same goes for the equipment. If many parts are not what you need, it's not a good deal.
Old 09-02-20, 06:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
5. Post in here, asking if you got a good deal.
6) Post that you are 2 mph faster with the new wheels.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-02-20, 06:41 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Why not just buy an Aeroad for similar price?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=SR%2FBK

At only 0.5 kg heavier it seems like a reasonable choice.
I'm not opposed to the Aeroad, I think it looks great. Just intimidated by the geometry and how goofy an amateur might look on such a racy bike. I'm pretty fit and flexible, but my FTP is south of 300.
Old 09-02-20, 06:50 PM
BoraxKid

I'm not opposed to the Aeroad, I think it looks great. Just intimidated by the geometry and how goofy an amateur might look on such a racy bike. I'm pretty fit and flexible, but my FTP is south of 300.
I doubt you'll look any worse than anyone else on their bike. And as long as you keep riding, your FTP will likely improve. Remember, aerodynamics matter at all speeds, so if you can bear the mild weight penalty, prioritizing aero will make you faster for the same effort. That said, I understand wanting to stick to a normal road bike, and Canyon's road bikes are all pretty aero and racy. If it were my money, I would spend the $7200+ on a road bike that prioritizes aerodynamics, weight, and components, in that order. Maybe this one (slightly above your current budget):

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...rahmenfarbe=BK
Old 09-02-20, 07:15 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
I doubt you'll look any worse than anyone else on their bike. And as long as you keep riding, your FTP will likely improve. Remember, aerodynamics matter at all speeds, so if you can bear the mild weight penalty, prioritizing aero will make you faster for the same effort. That said, I understand wanting to stick to a normal road bike, and Canyon's road bikes are all pretty aero and racy. If it were my money, I would spend the $7200+ on a road bike that prioritizes aerodynamics, weight, and components, in that order. Maybe this one (slightly above your current budget):

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...rahmenfarbe=BK
What a stunning bike. You're making one heck of a case for the Aeroad. It would be a nice compliment to my gravel bike.
Old 09-03-20, 06:40 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
And yet you're looking into aero wheels…

I think you'll look fine. Ride whatever you want. There will always be someone slower and blingier than you. You'll look great dropping that other guy with his Dogma F12 and Millenstein wheels. I personally have the Ultimate CF SL which I eventually got DT Swiss Arc1400 48s on it and I love it.

If you do go the Aeroad route though, there's a new Aeroad on the horizon. It's been rumored for awhile but updated ones with integrated cabling and deeper frame geometry has been spotted in pro peloton. If you can wait a couple more months, there may get released soon.
Old 09-03-20, 06:57 PM
basscadet

Originally Posted by mattscq
If you do go the Aeroad route though, there's a new Aeroad on the horizon. It's been rumored for awhile but updated ones with integrated cabling and deeper frame geometry has been spotted in pro peloton. If you can wait a couple more months, there may get released soon.
That's interesting, I just saw the same thing on another site. There's always something new on the horizon I guess. Not sure I can wait a few months, I'm buying something in the next few days.
Old 09-04-20, 07:55 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
As others said, just buy any other disc wheelset that has an XDR rear hub and the same thru axle capability. Then buy whatever rotors fit your new hubs - six bolt or centerlock.