Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fairly certain LBS damaged my frame, am I crazy?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fairly certain LBS damaged my frame, am I crazy?

Old 09-20-20, 10:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The responsible bike shop could consider this an opportunity to improve their game by tackling the job of rolling out frame dents.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-20-20, 10:43 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
Be firm. Ask them to show you that the dents don't line up with the clamps on their repair stands. They should either be happy to oblige or they are less stellar than you think they are.

The good news is that seat tube dents are easier to straighten than dents in other tubes because you can drive the appropriately sized mandrel into the tube from the top while clamping the outside of the tube between blocks. There will be paint damage from all that movement (some cracking at the very least) and probably some residual small dents.
Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 09-20-20 at 10:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 09-20-20, 10:57 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Suing them isn't an option, I'm a poor bastard who spends all his money on old bikes.
Small claims court is free. In fact, you may NOT bring an attorney.
Old 09-20-20, 11:19 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I'm going to guess that the shop in question is Recycled Cycles?
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 09-20-20, 11:27 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
1). Express your concerns to the business owner in writing, documenting all conversations you have had with him and his employees. Stick to the facts and state what you want him to do to restore you, and why you feel that any previous oral conversations have been unsatisfactory to you. Don’t speculate about, e.g., the cause of the damage. Just state (if true) that the bike was not damaged when you gave it to them but now it is.

2) Wait some reasonable period for a response. If nothing acceptable results, file in Small Claims Court. Do not harass the shop further yourself.

3). Do not, under any circumstances, slander the business by posting defamatory rants in public, including social media. This will be used against you and undermine your credibility in a he said-he said case.

4). Do not say or do anything that could be construed as “uttering threats”, including threats to prosecute or litigate. This could land you in a heap of expensive legal trouble. Do not in your letter state, for example, that if he doesn’t fix your frame you “will be forced to take legal action”. That’s a threat. Just do it.

5). Do not discuss this case anywhere, including here, again. You either have a case or you don’t. Blabbing it all over town doesn’t strengthen it, even though you have stuck to reasonable, temperate language yourself. “All my friends think I’m right,” doesn’t carry any weight. Do collect neutral opinions from experts like a frame builder who gives an estimate to repair damage.

6). You might still lose. And even if you win, you might not be able to collect. “The law is an ass,” as Dickens said.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 09-20-20 at 11:52 PM.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 09-21-20, 12:08 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
this is with a park tools bike stand that has a fairly large grip that distributes pressure over a larger area of the frame than other bike stands I have seen.
The Park 100-3C/5C clamp can distribute some serious pressure, but it's also designed to deliver that pressure evenly with its curved surfaces, even if the rubber jaws are worn out. Enough so that I feel confident hanging 531 frames from them, occasionally by the seattube (sorry @Charles Wahl ), with the addition of a rag. The clamp lock is also designed in such a way that you do not have that much mechanical advantage when closing the lever - in part to prevent crimping of tubing, like this.

I do think a clamp was responsible for this, but of a different design - one capable of producing enough torque to flatten the tubes easily and V-shaped groove that'd explain the pronounced dents at each end.

The Park 100-7X seems like a possible candidate, and the micro-adjust version - which seems popular for shops to use with CF bikes now - also has a crank design that is more likely to provide way too much mechanical advantage for the repair person with oatmeal for brains. It also fails on having a truly curved main clamping surface.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-21-20 at 07:53 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-21-20, 12:39 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Was it RC in the UD?
Old 09-21-20, 12:42 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Question unrelated to solving your problem (I'm just curious): Is it a 1974 Super Tourer? If so, one of the coolest bikes of its type ever! Always rare even back then, and super rare now. To find one in such nice condition, only to have it marred like that – augh! The whole cycling world is a little poorer now. I weep for your bike (OK not really, it's a metaphor).

I can't tell what you mean by two more dents in back – are the back dents higher up? That could be from closing the clamp of a bike stand while the bike is at an angle to the jaws.

Unhelpful anecdote: I worked at a bike shop in the '70s that had pneumatic bike stands – you pushed a button near the floor with your foot, and air pressure closed the jaws. The pressure was adjustable, and we turned it up for heavy bikes and down for lightweights. We got in a fancy Reynolds 753 frame, and the shop owner insisted on working on it himself. He didn't do mechanic work very often, and he was out of practice – forgot about the pressure adjustment. You guessed it, the previous bike had been a Schwinn heavyweight, and the 753 seat tube crumped something awful. We all looked away real quick and suddenly got super interested in whatever we were doing. Don't make eye contact! I think if anyone had laughed he would have gotten fired.

As far as something actually helpful – I have a Park professional stand, the most common type in bike shops. We could see if the jaws line up with the dents, if you want to come over (I'm in Wallingford). But I'm sure that's the first thing R+E will do if you bring it to them, so a trip to my house might be a waste of time. I guess I just really want to see it.

Good luck man, I'm really hoping this turns out OK. I know those dents can be rolled out, and though it will wreck the paint, they can just shoot the damaged area – including the two-tone and the gold striping. Very good repros of the Carlton decal are available too, so it might come out close to good as new.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 09-21-20, 12:47 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Yup. 74 Super Tourer, pretty much stock except for tires (it has a B66 instead of the mattress saddle as well) One of the only bikes I know of to break the "stem shifters = low end" rule. No idea who was responsible for speccing it, but it was at least 30 years ahead of its time, given how many kids I see on flat bar roar bikes with nice crmo frames. Got it as a winter/city bike, since I'm not going to be doing much "super touring" on a bike with upright bars and no bottle cage bosses...

Also much as I love the paint, I love the frame more. It has some decal wear and odd marks on the stays (likely from an old rack) anyway, so any paint damage can always hold off for any future restoration.

Besides, paint damage from repair is beausage or something. Or so I've heard.

Last edited by sheddle; 09-21-20 at 12:54 AM.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 09-21-20, 01:17 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Besides, paint damage from repair is beausage or something. Or so I've heard.
Beausage is in the eye of the beholder. If you hate the damaged area because it brings back bad memories, that ain't beausage.

In case they need to take the cranks off to do the repair (likely), be sure to tell them about the odd 23.35 mm extractor thread on those cranks. R+E is probably pretty safe in general, but you don't know if every mechanic there knows it, or more to the point the one guy or gal who works on your bike. Even when I worked there (early '80s) not everyone knew that stuff, and now it's got 40 more years of obsoleteness.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 09-21-20, 01:41 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,299 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Beausage is in the eye of the beholder. If you hate the damaged area because it brings back bad memories, that ain't beausage.

In case they need to take the cranks off to do the repair (likely), be sure to tell them about the odd 23.35 mm extractor thread on those cranks. R+E is probably pretty safe in general, but you don't know if every mechanic there knows it, or more to the point the one guy or gal who works on your bike. Even when I worked there (early '80s) not everyone knew that stuff, and now it's got 40 more years of obsoleteness.
This is also likely the reason we're having this discussion, normally competent mech talking, eating, whatever at the same time they're putting it in the stand, uh oh, wasn't paying attention, didn't think they had to with this.

Welcome to threadless, cartridge, disposable, cookie cutter crapfest that is many of today's bike shops.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-21-20, 02:35 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,299 Times in 3,633 Posts
And don't get me wrong, change is of course inevitable.

What does not have to be inevitable is the loss of the skill gained by learning how to work on more things will make you better at working on all things.

The skill of being able to work through what you don't know without breaking, kludging or ruining, parts, tools, pieces or flesh without just replacing things can be invaluable, success begets success, simply replacing parts does not.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-21-20, 06:12 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
If the dents were really already there when they received the bike, you'd think that a good shop that deals with a lot of older bikes would have pointed it out as a possible reason not to ride, thus for them not to work on the bike.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 09-21-20, 07:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Wow that sucks. You bought it on Friday and it gets damaged on Saturday?
Old 09-21-20, 08:11 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
The very first time I tried to restore a bike it was a PX10 that I got from an elderly couple for under $100. Brought it to my co-op and they took one glance at it, noticed a small but serious enough dent on the seat tube and told me that they wouldn’t advise putting much money and effort into it, and really wouldn’t ride it either.

To imagine any reputable shop wouldn’t notice such massive damage and point it out before starting the work is surprising and unfortunate.
Old 09-21-20, 08:16 AM
sheddle

I took a bike there only last week and they pointed out that it wasn't safe to ride hard anymore, due to a hairline crack in the seat tube that I missed due to surface rust and dirt (OS Tange Prestige, light as hell, but ride it hard for long enough...)

Which is to say that I think this was probably a case where the first mechanic to touch the bike inadvertently dented it without realizing, and the others assumed it was already there. When multiple people perform a task, you do get the chance for errors like this. Kind of a bystander effect where everyone assumes someone else already noticed the problem, but I'm kind of theorizing here.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 09-21-20, 08:23 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
About a decade ago I responded to an ad and went to purchase a Raleigh Professional Mk IV in a San Francisco shop that was advertised as being in very good condition. Upon inspection I pointed out two, long double-crimped areas on the seat tube just like this, which were obviously caused by a frame stand, and the shop owner was really surprised that they hadn't noticed it before. He considered it a major blow to the value of the bike and if I remember correctly gave me 1/3 off the asking price and threw in a second Mk IV frame set that was in great condition but had previously been repainted, without even batting an eyelash. At that point half of the components were worth more so I took it without question.

Whether it was due to work done in his shop or prior to his purchasing it (he blamed the old guy he'd bought it from and himself for not noticing) at least he was honest about it... Apparently you are not dealing with folk of the same ilk, and I wish you luck!

-Gregory
Old 09-21-20, 09:07 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
One of the rules of retail is that you have to put as much effort into protecting yourself from your customers as you do making them happy. The shop owner likely will never know for sure what happened here, unless a tech ‘fesses up. But he has interests to protect.

So, if you go the Small Claims route, you need to anticipate what the shop owner will tell the judge:
Customer brings a beat-up old clunker in for some trivial bogus repair — greasing a seatpost?, wtf? The tech notices the dented seat tube and, to avoid being tricked into being blamed for pre-existing damage, pulls the post by leaving the bike standing on its tires, sitting over the rear wheel, and pulling straight up. No ZZZ-marks on the post. Smear a little grease on and stick ‘er back in. Bob’s your uncle, no clamp used at any point and that’s God’s honest truth. So buzz off, customer. Go cheat someone else. (Oh, and by the way, I’ve reinforced with my techs that they must document damage on arrival. Yes we know it’s hard to know what counts as damage on 40-year-old clunkers, but win or lose, this case is a learning experience: the more we can document, the better off we are in disputes.)

As I’ve said above, don’t argue this point here. Save it for the judge.
Old 09-21-20, 09:15 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Looks like they gilcoed your seat tube (sorry, couldn't resist...). But I think using scarlson's suggestion it could be corrected.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 09-21-20, 09:41 AM
sheddle

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
One of the rules of retail is that you have to put as much effort into protecting yourself from your customers as you do making them happy. The shop owner likely will never know for sure what happened here, unless a tech ‘fesses up. But he has interests to protect.

So, if you go the Small Claims route, you need to anticipate what the shop owner will tell the judge:
Customer brings a beat-up old clunker in for some trivial bogus repair — greasing a seatpost?, wtf? The tech notices the dented seat tube and, to avoid being tricked into being blamed for pre-existing damage, pulls the post by leaving the bike standing on its tires, sitting over the rear wheel, and pulling straight up. No ZZZ-marks on the post. Smear a little grease on and stick ‘er back in. Bob’s your uncle, no clamp used at any point and that’s God’s honest truth. So buzz off, customer. Go cheat someone else. (Oh, and by the way, I’ve reinforced with my techs that they must document damage on arrival. Yes we know it’s hard to know what counts as damage on 40-year-old clunkers, but win or lose, this case is a learning experience: the more we can document, the better off we are in disputes.)

As I’ve said above, don’t argue this point here. Save it for the judge.
Thanks. The owner is a reasonable type I've spoken to before and I'm very much hoping to resolve this verbally.
Old 09-21-20, 10:24 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Op,
Your header asks did they do the damage and are you crazy....Why do you seem to be equivocating about whether or not the dents were not there when you brought it into the shop and wondering if it was something that you did on the way in. I think you would have noticed damage like that before you brought it in....you have the pics from a few days before you brought it in to be worked on....did you damage it, only you know if you mishandled it.
From all of your posts, it seems to me that the shop did the deed, not you.
For those of you that think a repair stand cant damage a frame, I want to post a few pics of a frame that one of my friends brought in for repair...I think an older Park Pro stand with the preset clamping etc.
The bike was "not" damaged when it was brought in and here are a few pics....I suspect as one other member mentioned that the damage occurred when using twisting force to remove the seatpost....either that or as others stated clamp force was set improperly for a different tube diameter.
IMHO no vacuum pressure from removing the seat post.
Here are some pics of my friend's bike....BTW he brought the damage to the LBS right away and they chalked it up to a new tech not familiar with vintage stuff and paid for a replacement Prologue frame.

Clamp installed incorrectly

same, same..torque force..I think you can see the 2 offset dents much worse than your frame experienced?

Make them take care of it.
Good Luck, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-21-20, 10:34 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts
"It was like that when you brought it in here" is how Bart Simpson would address making that mistake and shows a similar level of maturity on the part of the mechanics that worked on your bike.

At the Bike Exchange I've used Park workstands a lot and it is hard to imagine over-clamping like that when just closing the clamp. However, I think manhandling the bike once it is clamped in the workstand could result in damage that looks just like what you have there.

But the tube is bent, not broken, and repair is possible. Recently I removed most of a dent from a 531DB top tube without paint damage recently by applying a thin plastic tape over the area to be repaired and, rather than rolling the tube in the frame block, I would tighten the block, then loosen and rotate it 45 degrees, tighten it again, rotate another 45 deg., and again and again. Taking a cue from a paintless dent removal guy who fixed my car, I also warmed the area up with a heat gun first to help make the paint a little more pliable.

Best of luck!
Likes For daka:
Old 09-21-20, 10:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I don't quite understand the purpose of bringing it to a shop. They have little interest in the long-term health of your bike. They will never treat the details as well as you.
There are pluses and minuses to using a shop mechanic, but it's not categorically a mistake at all times for all people.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-21-20, 10:47 AM
sheddle

especially one who lives in an apartment with zero space for a repair stand, and little ability to do work involving anything likely to stain a carpet, hah
Old 09-21-20, 10:56 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
I've heard of this damage occurring from loosening a track-style axle nut while in the stand.

In this case, I somewhat suspect that my own tight-seatpost remedy method may have been used while the bike was in the stand.
My method for fixing a tight-fitting seatpost where the ears may have been over-tightened inward is to put the seatpost into the frame about 3/4" in and then lean rearward on the post/lever to move the ears back out. This might produce dents in the seat tube with the rear dents being further up on the tube than the front dents.
For the record, I don't do any kind of forceful work on a bike mounted on a stand, ever.

Scarlson's idea of using a sized wooden dowel is how I would deal with this, followed by a more precisely-sized metal tube such as a seatpost remnant attached solidly to an extension. This would be equivalent to "rolling out the dents" from the inside, but less trauma on the paint and the metal. Perhaps also the dents could be worked inward at the same time, using v-blocks of wood clamped onto the high spots(?).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.