Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 8 internal help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano 8 internal help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 07:47 AM
rustandblood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 8 internal help

Just joined and will be looking around.

I have a bike I am trying to bring back to life. It has the shimano nexus internal hub 8. I was wondering if there is a different shiftier option I can use other than the grip mounted rotating sifter that it came with.
Thanks
Old 07-29-20, 08:36 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Why, look what a simple Google search brought up! https://www.treefortbikes.com/cat/15...l-Hub-Shifters
Old 07-29-20, 06:48 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
The OP asked about Nexus hub but the link was for an Alfine shifter. I am pretty sure there is no difference but we should be sure. My understanding is that the Nexus 8 and Alfine 8 have internal differences but the external shifting is the same.

i just spent all afternoon servicing my Nexus 8 which is maybe why I am interested. And BTW after four years it was fine. I think going forward I will use the Sturmey Archer schedule. I mean do nothing until it totally rusts out. 😀
Old 07-29-20, 07:13 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
The OP asked about Nexus hub but the link was for an Alfine shifter. I am pretty sure there is no difference but we should be sure. My understanding is that the Nexus 8 and Alfine 8 have internal differences but the external shifting is the same.
The rotating "grip-shifter" can be replaced with a "trigger-shift" with the same number of speeds (Shimano, of course). I did this on one of my folding bikes that had a grip-shift which was hard to shift wearing heavy gloves (it's my "winter" bike). The hub is a Nexus 8-speed, and the trigger-shifter is Alfine. I just went out to my garage and checked... the Nexus hub is "low-normal", and the display shows the correct gear. I have another bike with an Alfine 11-speed hub. This is a "high-normal" hub, and the Alfine gear display is reversed compared to the one on the other bike.
Bottom line: if you get a trigger-shifter that's Alfine vs Nexus, the worst thing that's likely to happen is that the gear indicator will read backwards. There may be a way to reverse it... I don't know.
Old 07-30-20, 01:44 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Don't forget Microshift