Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Cap & Helmet Help

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-30-20, 07:21 AM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

So I am needing a new helmet and well I am getting a bald spot. My wife is worried about me getting sunburned on the top of my head. The idea of putting sunscreen up there seems weird.

So I am looking at getting a cycling cap to help with some sun protection. Many of them say “one size” or “universal fit”. I wear a medium/large size Bontrager helmet.

So I guess my question is this. Anyone have a preference for a cap. I saw Castelli has one with SPF50. Do these caps really help? Do they fit like a regular cap?
Old 07-30-20, 07:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Like most clothing/accessories, you'll have to try them out for yourself and see what you like. I like Giro Peloton caps - they fit me well and wick/dry quickly - but I can't say that I've tried a lot of caps; if I find something that works well and is reasonably-price, I tend to stick with it. I'm sure that there are plenty of comparable products available.
Old 07-30-20, 09:44 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
I have a few different helmet liners but like the Pace the best. It has an adjustable elastic band so should fit pretty much anyone. No issues with sunburn or overheating for me. I think I got mine on Amazon. I also have a Giro moisture wicking cap but the bill is inconvenient when in the drops for me so rarely ever use it.

Pace helmet liner
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 07-30-20, 09:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I like the light weight skull caps better than cycling caps with a brim. The cycling caps look cool, IMO, but it bothers me to look out from under the brim. Avoid sunscreen above your eyes. When you sweat it will run down and hurt you. https://www.jensonusa.com/Headsweats...e-Skullcap-Hat
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-30-20, 10:34 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by voyager1
So I am looking at getting a cycling cap to help with some sun protection. Many of them say “one size” or “universal fit”. I wear a medium/large size Bontrager helmet.
I'd be leery of spending too much money without being able to try on something in the store first. I have a large square head and most caps fit me too tightly and/or tend to "ride up" and fall off or blow off in the wind.
Old 07-30-20, 11:15 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
To answer the OP's question, cycling caps fit close to the skull and have a nice brim to keep the sun off your eyes. They're meant to slip under a helmet easily.

I personally use a Specialized Down Under or Pear Izumi Transfer Lite cap depending on the kit for the day; got to match! Generally you'll want one with a technical fabric so it absorbs sweat and breathes well. You've got to try them on since most are one size fit all or sized as S/M or L/XL.
Old 07-30-20, 11:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I don't wear a brimmed cap as much anymore, as I do prefer no brim, for reasons mentioned above about having to crane neck up that bit more to clear your view from being blocked by the brim.

The Giro UV Ultralight SPF30 skullcap works well.

Otherwise, for just a bald spot in the back.. use the aerosol sports sunscreen.. easier and less messy than trying to rub lotion up there. If you need more coverage all over the top of your head, then yeah... watchout for stinging eyes if it runs.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-30-20, 12:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I used to put sunscreen on my head, but have since gone with skullcaps in white - I figure they'll reflect light rather than absorbing, so they'll be cooler. I haven't actually tested this hypothesis, though. I've got one Pearl Izumi and one Castelli. The Castelli fits much more snugly. They both stay in place pretty well, because there's a helmet holding them there. The Castelli is lighter fabric, so I wear that on warmer days.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-30-20, 02:27 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I like the light weight skull caps better than cycling caps with a brim. The cycling caps look cool, IMO, but it bothers me to look out from under the brim. Avoid sunscreen above your eyes. When you sweat it will run down and hurt you. https://www.jensonusa.com/Headsweats...e-Skullcap-Hat
I find that the size of the brim matters a lot.
In fact, when I order from Walz, I always order the small brim option.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-30-20, 04:10 PM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I use a thin Lycra skull cap under the helmet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193049869258
Old 07-30-20, 05:38 PM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
i use these

Halo skull cap for protection includes sweat gutter...that comes in handy.
https://store.haloheadband.com/Halo-Skull-Cap-p/sc.htm

Craft with windstopper for protection and warmth.
https://www.craftsportswear.com/B2C%...2851-8baf3613/
Old 07-30-20, 06:30 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I have a pearl izumi transfer I like. I actually wear it backwards under my helmet for reasons. It does a great job keeping sweat out of my eyes. I can't speak to it's sun protection qualities.
Old 07-31-20, 10:11 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Giro Peloton, 'tho wish the brim was a bit smaller.
Old 08-02-20, 09:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
I have pretty thin hair on top and never got scalp burn. I do have tanned “tiger stripes” on my upper forehead and scalp, which I wear as a badge of honor. They do look a bit goofy but point is that if you have gradual sun exposure you may not necessarily get burned and/or need a cap.
Old 08-02-20, 09:26 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Caps with visors tend to make the helmet rotate toward the back and you lose some your forehead protection.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-02-20, 03:10 PM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
So I am needing a new helmet and well I am getting a bald spot. My wife is worried about me getting sunburned on the top of my head. The idea of putting sunscreen up there seems weird.

So I guess my question is this. Anyone have a preference for a cap. I saw Castelli has one with SPF50. Do these caps really help? Do they fit like a regular cap?
I'll do you one better - I had a Bell Helmet with longitudinal vents in it and I would get tan strips. If I had to go our anywhere I would wear a cycling cap or a hat depending on occasion. Otherwise I considered it a mark of honor.
Old 08-03-20, 12:55 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Smith Koroyd or Bontrager WaveCel. They seem like they'd be hot and heavy to me, but several friends wear them in Texas summer daytime rides and say they won't wear anything else. The liners would seem to offer more sun protection.

I prefer regular Bell and POC helmets, but I have long hair and often wear bandannas. Depends on the heat and humidity. I prefer no bandanna when it's hot and dry because the sweat evaporates quickly. When it's humid the bandanna helps absorb sweat.
Old 08-03-20, 03:19 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I find that the size of the brim matters a lot.
In fact, when I order from Walz, I always order the small brim option.
Walz caps come in two different head sizes, not brim sizes. And that's really good for people with smaller heads.
Old 08-03-20, 07:38 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Walz caps come in two different head sizes, not brim sizes. And that's really good for people with smaller heads.
Try the "build a cap" option. I just hit their website, randomly selected the 4-panel build a cap option, and they give you a choice between 2 .25 or 1.75 size brim.
You can also get the cap in four different sizes.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 08-05-20, 04:35 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

Rapha. one of the only things not uber costly.
went to the nyc store.
Old 08-06-20, 04:15 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Try the "build a cap" option. I just hit their website, randomly selected the 4-panel build a cap option, and they give you a choice between 2 .25 or 1.75 size brim.
You can also get the cap in four different sizes.
Woah, I didn't even know that. Mine has the 1.75 brim.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-23-20, 12:08 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey all, I just wanted to pop back on and thank everyone for the answers. I went ahead and bought two Bontrager skull cap style caps since I needed some more bib shorts (and some were on sale). I was finally able to go on a ride yesterday with the new skull cap, and it was nice. It seemed to work and I did not feel hot or anything. Thanks again everyone!
Likes For voyager1: