Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 09:12 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Got another good ride in. I am on top of the leaderboard, but askeered it won’t last.
Old 08-23-20, 10:23 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Man, people were salty on the Veloway this morning.
Old 08-23-20, 10:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Were you wanting someone to take, take you home by the end of the ride?
I don't remember.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-23-20, 10:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Is the Indy 500 Today?

Why yes. Yes it is.
Cool. Crashes on a soupy, summer Sunday.
Old 08-23-20, 10:35 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

So yesterday's ride was a semi-epic 80 miler heading north. I chose to ride to the starting point and back home, which made it a century. There were 8 riders total, which TBH is a little more than I prefer these days (I prefer 3-5) but they are all guys I know and have ridden with, and not promiscuous cyclists which is what matters in the days of COVID19. Luckily we are all roughly at the same level and experience, so we rode in a reasonably organized manner. There were some punchy climbs and the testosterone flowing meant that some sections were quite spirited.

After the ride I was totally wiped out, I kinda felt bad for mrs datlas as I was pretty useless for the rest of the day. We had a porch visit from daughter #1 and I got take-out Japanese food which made mrs datlas quite happy and made up for my overall uselessness.

Today's ride was a shorter, easy paced ride. I left early and was home by 10AM. We just went on a fun hike in nearby Valley Forge.

It looks like the birthday boy gets the top spot on the leaderboard. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-23-20, 10:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Hey MoAlpha I have a muscle cramp issue. It's probably a variation of the usual muscle over-exertion cramps, but these cramps have been having a delayed onset.

Typical history is I go on a long, hard ride (like yesterday), but don't cramp on the ride. I come home and rest for an hour or two...at which point ANY minor muscle movement of lower extremities causes severe muscle cramps. This happened yesterday and was VERY unpleasant and it lasted for at least a few hours. Involved mostly quads/hamstrings/calf/flexor hallucis longus (big toe goes up with severe pain in side of calf). I don't know if there is much to do other than stretch and accept it, but any ideas on the pathophysiology and more importantly, treatment for these?
Old 08-23-20, 10:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Man, people were salty on the Veloway this morning.
What's a Veloway? Is that like a MUP where pedestrians are banned? Want.
Old 08-23-20, 10:48 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

What's a Veloway? Is that like a MUP where pedestrians are banned? Want.
Three miles long, twelve feet wide, cyclists and rollerbladers/ rollerskaters only. Yes, it is the only one of its kind in the country. Do note that it's actually not really any better than the MUP, because there are kids on tiny bikes, people on mountain bikes and hybrids and townies. However, it's another option, and I can ride there from my door.
Old 08-23-20, 10:51 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Veloway | AustinTexas.gov

Old 08-23-20, 11:06 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Is the Indy 500 Today?

Why yes. Yes it is.
Can't believe it's only Memorial Day. Time is really dragging this year.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 08-23-20, 11:07 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Slow day. Everyone must be cleaning up autumn leaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2uiy27Xv_U
Cut the remaining lawn. No fallen leaves encountered.
Old 08-23-20, 11:21 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28597 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
The roads are my Veloway.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 08-23-20, 11:30 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Public Service Announcement:

The Mariners are playing the Rangers for the FREE GAME of the DAY on mlb.com.

And look who's in the stands...

Jimi! Who knew he was a baseball fan?

Old 08-23-20, 11:40 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Well boys and girls, the sink job is finally finished (it was hard work for most of the week), I had a rest day yesterday and a lovely ride this morning. I returned with at least as much energy as I stated with. That's because I got going early while it was still cool out. I would like to do this same route every other day, until I feel up to doing it every day, and expanding into longer rides. I would appreciate a nudge if you see me slipping up. Thank you
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 08-23-20, 11:44 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,745 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Cool. Crashes on a soupy, summer Sunday.
I don't get it.
Old 08-23-20, 11:45 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28597 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
No fallen leaves encountered.
I'm eating an apple, which someone picked during apple-picking season, rather than let fall and waste on the ground.
Originally Posted by LAJ
I don't get it.
Same.
Old 08-23-20, 11:46 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,745 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Can't believe it's only Memorial Day. Time is really dragging this year.
IKR?

I have a feeling next Memorial Day will be here before we know it.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 08-23-20, 11:53 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Hey MoAlpha I have a muscle cramp issue. It's probably a variation of the usual muscle over-exertion cramps, but these cramps have been having a delayed onset.

Typical history is I go on a long, hard ride (like yesterday), but don't cramp on the ride. I come home and rest for an hour or two...at which point ANY minor muscle movement of lower extremities causes severe muscle cramps. This happened yesterday and was VERY unpleasant and it lasted for at least a few hours. Involved mostly quads/hamstrings/calf/flexor hallucis longus (big toe goes up with severe pain in side of calf). I don't know if there is much to do other than stretch and accept it, but any ideas on the pathophysiology and more importantly, treatment for these?
I have exactly the same thing. In fact, last night I rolled over into a huge hamstring spasm which I somehow managed to stretch and will into subsiding.

According to the prevailing theory, the cause is hyperactivity of the muscle stretch reflex, which, as you may remember, goes from the muscle spindles (muscle length receptors) to the spinal segment via the 1a afferents, which excite the alpha motoneurons back to the same muscle monosynaptically, causing muscle shortening, as in the classic tendon reflexes we test in the clinic. However, in the fatigued state, hyperexcitability in somewhere in the afferent side of the loop can send the muscle into spasm in response to a minor stimulus.

There is an opposing system composed of the Golgi tendon organs (contraction force detectors) which inhibit the spinal motoneurons via the 1b afferents and an inhibitory interneuron. This is the system we recruit by stretching. I believe there is also evidence that it is under-active in the exercise-fatigued state.

Why this happens I don’t think anyone knows. However, there are fairly good cross sectional studies looking at serum chemistry in athletes after hard events and there are no correlations with cramping. This doesn’t rule out helpful pharmacological effects of stuff like Mg++, which may be helpful in nocturnal cramping unrelated to exercise, but that may have a different mechanism.

That’s all what I can tell you, but it’s a cool area and I was a board certified clinical neurophysiologist in my yoot, so I’ll keep looking into it.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-23-20 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 11:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
Don't think I'll get in a ride today.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-23-20, 11:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have exactly the same thing. In fact, last night I rolled over into a huge hamstring spasm which I somehow managed to stretch and will into subsiding.

According to the prevailing theory, the cause is hyperactivity of the muscle stretch reflex, which, as you may remember, goes from the muscle spindles (muscle length receptors) to the spinal segment via the 1a afferents, which excite the alpha motoneurons back to the same muscle monosynaptically, causing muscle shortening, as in the classic tendon reflexes we test in the clinic. However, in the fatigued state, hyperexcitability in somewhere in the afferent side of the loop can send the muscle into spasm in response to a minor stimulus.

There is an opposing system composed of the Golgi tendon organs (contraction force detectors) which inhibit the spinal motoneurons via the 1b afforestation to and an inhibitory interneuron. This is the system we recruit by stretching. I believe there is also evidence that it is under-active in the exercise-fatigued state.

Why this happens I don’t think anyone knows. However, there are fairly good cross sectional studies looking at serum chemistry in athletes after hard events and there are no correlations with cramping. This doesn’t rule out helpful pharmacological effects of stuff like Mg++, which may be helpful in nocturnal cramping unrelated to exercise, but that may have a different mechanism.

That’s all what I can tell you, but it’s a cool area and I was a board certified clinical neurophysiologist in my yoot, so I’ll keep looking into it.
I am thinking a decent dose of diazepam will solve the problem, but that has its drawbacks.
Old 08-23-20, 12:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by genejockey
Don't think I'll get in a ride today.

How about something like my west coast friend did?

https://www.strava.com/activities/3955825297
Old 08-23-20, 12:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Normally, my ride would go from the 263 past the 517, and go down into the 173, 163,170,174 cluster and back.

Old 08-23-20, 12:26 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by MoAlpha

There is an opposing system composed of the Golgi tendon organs (contraction force detectors) which inhibit the spinal motoneurons via the 1b afforestation to and an inhibitory interneuron. This is the system we recruit by stretching. I believe there is also evidence that it is under-active in the exercise-fatigued state.

When I was an actual yoot back in HS doing track, I'd get these random Charlie-horses in my calves. It was never actually during or after a workout; I would be literally lying on the couch reading a book like a nerd, feel a twinge in my calf, and then after exactly enough time to think "oh crap" it would lock and feel like it was coiling in on itself for a minute and then take days to open back up. Hasn't happened in forever though.
Old 08-23-20, 12:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
When I was an actual yoot back in HS doing track, I'd get these random Charlie-horses in my calves. It was never actually during or after a workout; I would be literally lying on the couch reading a book like a nerd, feel a twinge in my calf, and then after exactly enough time to think "oh crap" it would lock and feel like it was coiling in on itself for a minute and then take days to open back up. Hasn't happened in forever though.
Lordy, I remember those! A whole lot of no fun.

What I get now are back-of-the-thigh cramps, only after long (for me) rides. Kneel down to pet the little dog and WHAM!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-23-20, 12:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Got another good ride in. I am on top of the leaderboard, but askeered it won’t last.
You are correct.

I wasn't planning quite such a long ride, but the kids made a point of pissing me off first thing in the morning, so I took all the leash I was given.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.