Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Specialized Fuse Seat Tube Troubles

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-04-20, 03:46 PM
Rexter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there!

So I recently bought a lightly used Specialized 27.5+ Fuse 2020. It comes with a TranzX 120mm dropper post. I was considering switching to a One Up 180mm or 210mm. However I have run into a few problems!

Problem #1 : the seat tube internal diameter on the Fuse looks to be 34.9mm but the current TranzX dropper is around ~29mm so there's an "adjustable" tapered bushing or adapter to make it a tight fit (pictured). However when everything is installed I cannot make the bushing slide all the way down into the seat tube, about 2 inches sticks out. And more importantly, I cannot even remove the bushing, I can pull it up a certain amount and then it stops: I can't slide it out of the seat tube - so I cannot install a different larger dropper post. Has anyone else experience anything like this? Is my only option to cut / break it and replace it?

Problem #2 : The threads for the water bottle cage stick out into the interior of the seat tube (pictured) thereby preventing a seat post of over 210mm being inserted fully. Has anyone heard of drilling out / dremelling flat this protrusion? - in order to insert the seat post another 50mm.
Old 08-04-20, 10:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I see no pictures.
Old 08-05-20, 08:50 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
One Up has a great online tool to figure out your max dropper post length.

The Specialized website lists the Fuse as having a 30.9 seat post diameter, so you might be stuck with the bushing. I haven't heard of anyone dremeling out the threads. You would lose use of that bosses if you went this route.

Pictures would help.
Old 08-05-20, 06:45 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
newbie first post, need 9 more to be allow to post pics
Old 08-12-20, 08:16 PM
paulmalva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sounds like a tricky problem.

For problem 1 you could try to use a screwdriver and hammer to gently tap it out of the tube (if I understand the situation correctly)

I have removed the water bottle bolts with a drill.
It only works if the frame allows you to get in front of the whole with the power drill.
Then just drill out the thread.

Good luck!