Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy spending $2.5k on my first real bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 06:58 AM
wannabespeedy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Looking to pick up my first road bike. I'm upgrading from a Citibike membership and want something that's actually fast, which would make longer rides way more enjoyable. I'm also interested in Zwifting during the winter. I've biked for a long while but have always rented/owned cheap bikes and would like to make an investment. I would like something that isn't 50lbs and that I can actually ride on the road fast enough.... looking at a sick Diverge Comp which would be great for the rough tracks.

Am I crazy to want to buy a nicer bike with a budget of $2.5-3k as my first real bike? Should I start with something cheaper and work my way up? I feel like I know what I want out of a road bike and have had the opportunity to test different brands and frame sizes. I would be buying used locally and would try the bike out before purchase. My thoughts are that if I get a nicer bike initially I would save money down the road by not needing to upgrade, but is a $3000 bike built that much better than a $1500 bike?

This purchase would be just for fun, not commuting regularly. Worth investing in for savings down the line or should I initially go for less?

Last edited by wannabespeedy; 08-11-20 at 07:00 AM. Reason: removed something
Likes For wannabespeedy:
Old 08-11-20, 07:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Why waste time and money? Buy the bike that you want.
Old 08-11-20, 07:17 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
If you like it and you can afford it, go for it. It's supposed to be fun and if you feel like a nice bike will give you enjoyment, why not? A bike lasts a long, long time so the cost per mile over the years is pretty low. And it's worth it. A nicer bike won't make you a whole lot faster, but if it puts a smile on your face when you ride it that's what really matters.
Old 08-11-20, 07:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I started 10 years ago on my son's 12 year old $400 mountain style bike. A year later I bought a $3000 carbon fiber road bike. I went from riding 30 miles a week to 100 miles. 4 years later my last child was "off the family payroll" and I decided to get a graduation present to myself.. so I bought a "stupid" expensive bike and not i'm doing between 150-200 miles a week (i'm also retired).

If you truly enjoy cycling AND can afford a $2500 bike.. get it.

Just remember that a $400 bike that you don't ride is more expensive than a $2500 that you ride all the time.

BTW.. i've put 26,000 miles on my bike so i'm under 50¢ per mile so it's a bargain in my book.
Old 08-11-20, 07:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
A bike is not an investment. It is a depreciating asset. But, if you have the money (do NOT finance a depreciating asset) set aside, and you can meet your other financial goals without needing this money, then you can consider spending it on a bicycle. Whether or not you will notice the difference between a $2.5K bike and a $1.5K bike can be debated by others. I'd say to set a goal to spend half of what you planned. It will still be an improvement over what you had been riding.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-11-20, 07:46 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If you don't spend the money to buy the bike that you think you want, what do you think you will do with it? If it's truly disposable income, a year from now you won't be able to remember what you did with it if you don't buy the bike. If you do buy the bike, a year from now you'll have the bike.

Here's the downside: the day that you buy it, it's fun to own a nice bike or car or whatever. One week later, it's a used bike. There is always going to be a new, neater, nicer bike down the road for you to envy.

Money aside, what is your objective? Most people don't know. A bicycle isn't the kind of asset that has very much intrinsic value. The real value of a bicycle has to do with it's fun factor.
Old 08-11-20, 07:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
If you don't buy it, you'll forever be regretting whatever decision led to settling for the lesser bike you bought instead.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-11-20, 07:54 AM
Manster

Bikes: Rans Dynamik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
It will be well worth it if is the bike that inspires you to ride.
Likes For Manster:
Old 08-11-20, 08:00 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Buy once, cry once.

Glenn
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 08-11-20, 08:01 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Cheaper than therapy and a second girlfriend, better than a gym membership. Price on miles per smiles? Most here might have 5-10 + bikes. I have 9, just getting by.
Likes For Leebo:
Old 08-11-20, 08:02 AM
spoofer

Bikes: Trek Domane, Raleigh Technium MB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I just spent $1250. 0n my first road bike in 40 years. I got a Trek Domane. Then I spent $!50 on a new helmet. Then $40 on a rear rack. $20 on Amazon for flashing lights. Then another $40 on a under the seat bag. Now I just ordered a new air pump. Not bad...only spent $1600 bux with tax in the last couple weeks. Put 99 miles on so far. Feeling the burn of my 61 y/o legs. Love the bike and the folks at Syracuse Bike are fantastic!
Likes For spoofer:
Old 08-11-20, 08:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
Buy once, cry once.
"Buy nice or buy twice."
Old 08-11-20, 08:22 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
As others have said, it depends on your finances. For me, right now in the middle of this pandemic, it would be reckless, for example. You can certainly get an excellent bike that you'll love riding for less than $2500 though.
Likes For Mogens:
Old 08-11-20, 08:25 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
If you can afford it and will ride it, it's not a waste, now I would say which 2.5k bike may be a thing to consider. Going from an upright citibike to a low and sleek race bike might be a bit of an adjustment for you, so if allowed I'd say try to take a test ride and make sure you will be comfortable.

Also understand at 2.5k the bike may not come with pedals, you'll be encouraged to buy clipless pedals and shoes, a helmet some lights and you could have an additional $500 or more before you are ready to roll.
Old 08-11-20, 08:27 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I always advise people to get an aluminium frame w/105 for their first bike. It's good enough that it won't hold you back for the first couple of seasons. If you're still into cycling an a couple of years, you'll probably want a different bike anyway. If you decide it's not for you, then you still have a decent bike that you can take out from time-to-time but haven't spent thousands of dollars on something you don't use.
Old 08-11-20, 08:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I'm sometimes amused by a total newbie poster who has bought (or is thinking about buying) a $5k+ bike -- it's tough to make a smart choice when you know so little about cycling. But it seems like you have some actual riding experience, have thought about it a lot, and you're talking about maybe $3k -- which, yes, will get you a bike that is significantly better (and probably more reliable) than one that costs half as much. I say, go for it. But be sure to budget for pedals and shoes, water bottle cages, and a decent computer.

By the way, when I think back on the bikes I've purchased, my only regrets are (with some of my bikes) that I didn't just spend more and get what I really wanted.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-11-20, 08:31 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
No, get the bike you like. The differences between a $2.5k bike and a $1.5k bike are small, but you’ll appreciate them the more you get into the sport. It’s more like getting the ‘sport’ option package on your favorite car rather than getting a bike that is twice as good.

Come back when you want to drop $3k+ on a deep-V ENVE wheel set with FMB tubulars for shaving one second off your Strava time on the local MUP and we’ll have a discussion then.
Old 08-11-20, 08:48 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Think of all those times when you were a kid and you asked for some really cool toy for Christmas, only to have Santa bring you instead the cheaper version of it with less features.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-11-20, 09:25 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
"Cheaper than a heart attack" is what I tell my wife...
Likes For laxpatrick:
Old 08-11-20, 09:36 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Buy on! Its not crazy at all.
Old 08-11-20, 10:02 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If
Here's the downside: the day that you buy it, it's fun to own a nice bike or car or whatever. One week later, it's a used bike. There is always going to be a new, neater, nicer bike down the road for you to envy.
Depends if you're always trying to "one up" everyone.

I bought a Emonda SLR in 2015. Since then Trek has updated the bike twice. I have absolutely no desire or need to replace the bike i have. I gives me great pleasure every time I ride it.

So if you don't settle and get the bike you want, you'll have no regrets.

And yes, the minute you leave he store the bike is worth 1/3 less, so ride the crap out of it.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-11-20, 10:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Yes. $2,500 is way too little.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-11-20, 10:15 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I always advise people to get an aluminium frame w/105 for their first bike. It's good enough that it won't hold you back for the first couple of seasons. If you're still into cycling an a couple of years, you'll probably want a different bike anyway. If you decide it's not for you, then you still have a decent bike that you can take out from time-to-time but haven't spent thousands of dollars on something you don't use.
This is the best advice.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 08-11-20, 10:21 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
since u say u are buying a used bike...then the price is irrelevant.

if u buy it and then later find u dont like it, u can sell it to get most of your money back at least.

and if you are lucky, u might even make a profit!

Last edited by mtb_addict; 08-11-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-11-20, 10:25 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Question: is the money no big deal for you or are you spending hard earned cash? I ask because this could make a big difference down the road, As a newcomer to serious cycling, you do not know yet what "good bike fit" for you is. Any bike you get, at any price level, could be a "class B" fit for you. Spend so much that you feel committed to this bike and you may spend years on a poorly fitting bike the means you never get the the sublime place a good bike and fit should be. You go riding with clubs. The old guys in the club say "you really should be riding a bike with 'XXX'. You should trade that one in." But you've spent so much you can't see it as being wrong so you keep riding it. Maybe for years. Sadly, those sublime moments when all is just perfect never happen. But that's OK because you don't know.

Now say you spent half that for a bike with a lesser frame, a level down in part and the same mediocre fit. You like the riding but you know this bike isn't "it" That bike is just a starter for you, That same club member says you should be riiding a bike with 'XXX'. You listen. As you ride this bike you realize you really want "this type of gearing" because now you know that works best for the type of riding you are falling in love with. A bike comes up for sale for $2500 with 'XXX' and that gearing. You buy it. And wow! The bike that disappears under you!

Not all of us get that "wow" bike 2nd try. It rarely happens first try. Spending so much you cannot afford to let your bike or bikes "evolve" to what works best for you is quite likely putting a large damper on what your riding can be.

Last point - that "wow!" bike is only very loosely related to how much you spend. There are 40 yo bikes out there that fit you like a dream, have light, fast wheels and (once you get used to the idea that its just a 40 yo steel bike and you have to reach between your knees to shift those 10 gears (5 X 2, back when multipliication was used to describe gears!) disappear. You ride for miles before you think once about what's under you.

I'm not saying you need to become an old fart like me that has older bikes he loves. I just don't want you to spend so much now that your mind is closed to seeing what will better suit you as you grow into cycling. (My bikes - a 1973 build, a 1979 custom built for me, a 1983 stock bike set up as a workhorse fix gear, a 2008 custom road bike and a 2011 custom road fix gear both built for me. I spent $80 of hard earned cash as a young teen to buy my first 10 speed. $400 for the bike that introduced me to racing. Fit for both of these bikes was mediocre but I had no clue. Spent $500 for my racing bike wholesale as a bike shop employee. The fit! Now I knew! It took me years to figure out how to get the fit of that pure racer onto my non-race bikes but from the moment I got on that bike, I knew.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.