Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

wheel doesn’t move when I pedal..

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-17-20, 05:28 PM
bodewinham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just got a new bike from walmart a week ago to get me to work. i’ve been taking it to and from work every day until this morning when I jumped on it to go and the pedals wouldn’t move the wheels. the pedals will go, but they make this weird grinding sound. the chain (I think that’s what it’s called?) seems to be loose. I don’t know anything about bike mechanics so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what happened/how would I go about fixing this?

(if additional info is needed to determine just ask)
Old 08-17-20, 05:30 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Is the chain properly looped over the chain ring and rear cog with the teeth fully engaging?

Are the rear cogs turning, but not engaging the hub?
If so, the free wheel is bad. Take it back.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-17-20, 05:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
just got a new bike from Walmart a week ago
well that is your first mistake .. they have people no mechanical skills putting them together..
is the fork still facing backwards, that is classic Walmart, Target etc..

get your money back & go to a bike shop with decent mechanics working there..

even a bike recycling used bike shop..
Old 08-17-20, 06:28 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
well that is your first mistake .. they have people no mechanical skills putting them together..
is the fork still facing backwards, that is classic Walmart, Target etc..

get your money back & go to a bike shop with decent mechanics working there..

even a bike recycling used bike shop..
Your answer is beyond useless. OP has a question about why their functional bike stopped functioning, and you decide to brow beat them over where they decided to make their purchase? You are the worst type of cancer on this board. Get lost.

OP, look up a video or two on how to install a bicycle chain, and how to maintain your drivetrain. Your description of the problem was pretty vague, but it does sound like the simplest answer is that your chain has dropped off the front or back cogs. Post some pictures if you can, and then we can help you more.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-17-20, 06:56 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Your answer is beyond useless. OP has a question about why their functional bike stopped functioning, and you decide to brow beat them over where they decided to make their purchase? You are the worst type of cancer on this board. Get lost.

OP, look up a video or two on how to install a bicycle chain, and how to maintain your drivetrain. Your description of the problem was pretty vague, but it does sound like the simplest answer is that your chain has dropped off the front or back cogs. Post some pictures if you can, and then we can help you more.
He can't post pics yet, he's still a wee one. Bill described a good remedy to diagnose the problem, but I think Bill was too technical for this rider. It's one of 2 things, the chain fell off the rear gear (or front gear) or the rear hub failed. I'm leaning toward the chain is between the 'frame' and gears. Good luck
Oh yeah, ignore the hoity toity got more money than brains trying to brow beat you because you bought local at your Walmart. Some of us buy bikes from Wally World simply because we like a challenge and others because that's what's affordable. If you're not sure biking is for you but you want to try it, for under 100 bucks Wally will put you in the saddle. If you decide it's for you, upgrade. Visit the LBS (loco bike shop) and enjoy.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 08-17-20, 07:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Big box discount stores no matter who they are generally don't have the the highest skilled persons putting bikes together. I've personally got nothing against the bikes they sell. They are okay for what they are. An inexpensive bike.

I'd just recommend you take it to a local bike shop and let them go over it and ensure everything is put together correctly and adjust the derailleurs, brakes and other stuff that need adjusting. It won't be too much money. But if there is something broken, you need to decide whether to return the bike for a replacement or refund to the store you got it from. Or you can pay the bike shop to fix it. The bike shop probably will not be able to work with a warranty claim for it.

If the person at the bike shop gives you too much of an attitude because it's from a big box store, then find another bike shop or ask the guy if he wants your potential future business or not. The bike shops around me wouldn't care where you got the bike from. They are happy you came in their store.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-17-20 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 07:01 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Chain fell off.

Stick it back on (to the front cog).

Job done.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 08-17-20, 07:07 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Old 08-17-20, 07:16 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Look for a bike "Co-Op" near you. These are community shops usually staffed by volunteers to help you learn to fix your bike and sometimes have a good supply of tools that you can use while there. A donation is always appreciated but some are pay-what-you-can-afford. Sounds like there is a good chance your chain is simply off the front or rear sprockets but only guessing. Here is a photo of a bike with parts terminology which can also help you describe parts for us on the forum and assists in finding how-to videos and articles on the web. https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...cling-concepts
Old 08-17-20, 08:50 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Good chance that the wheel slipped out of the dropouts and is now rubbing against the frame or the brakes. Make sure it's properly in the frame before any other troubleshooting.
Old 08-17-20, 10:21 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I agree that there's often too much elitism directed at Walmart bikes etc, but it is true that they are usually very poorly assembled, even when the actual parts on the bike are, if not great, often (though definitely not always) serviceable. Bodewinham, if you need to rely on this bike as functional transportation, I really would recommend you get it checked for correct assembly by a professional mechanic or with the help of someone at a bicycle cooperative if you can. Many bike mechanics can empathize with the need to keep costs in check--just clearly state that you need to be able to rely on the bike, but want to keep costs low (as is appropriate to the bike) and don't necessarily have high expectations for its performance or long term service life.

With basically no specific information, my guess is that the chain dropped off the chainring, which is the gears in the front. The front derailleur is the mechanism that pushes the chain to shift in the front, and it's probably poorly adjusted which makes dropping the chain happen more easily.

If you are interested in doing work on the bike yourself, you could probably get your bike a large proportion of the way to being correctly assembled with the proper application of skill, 4 and 5 mm hex wrenches, and a screwdriver adjusting the shifting and brakes.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-brake-service
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
Old 08-18-20, 07:01 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
When you do get it working again, you might consider finding a way to lift the rear wheel off the ground so you can turn the pedals with your hand and watch how it works (for example, loop a rope under the seat and then over a bar or something so you can lift the rear up a little). Even better is if you can turn the pedals and operate the shifters (if it has them). Watch how the chain moves, also use the rear brake. Then you will have a better idea of how it should be if you encounter problems again. Youtube can also help (plenty of videos on adjusting the chain and shifting) but I think it also helps to see it on your specific bike.

scott s.