Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub service and clanking question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 02:24 PM
Dcmkx2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got caught in a downpour a few days ago and have never rode in the rain before. I dried my bike and lubed most things back up. Today when I rode I would get random clanking sound. Almost like when you are free wheeling and then take off. It mostly happened at a higher cadence. Not when out of the saddle. I rode the same route I've done a million times. My wheels have about 5 to 6 thousands miles on them and the hubs have never been serviced. My LBS advised me to try and clean/lube the pawls in the hub. When looking around some people said to use grease, some said oil, some both. I put a little grease on the teeth, cleaned and used tri flow on the pawls, and greased the bearing surfaces and axel. Nothing looked too horrible when I opened it up. No pawls seemed to be sticking. They did move a little better after cleaning and lubing.

Is there anything else that could be causing this? I won't have a chance to ride it for a few days to test it. The BB and crankset were recently taken apart to stop a ticking which ended up being a pedal.
Old 08-18-20, 03:04 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
My Internet Expert guess is that your derailers are a bit out of whack, instead of the freehub. Oil your cables and derailer pivot points and see if that helps.
Old 08-18-20, 03:32 PM
Dcmkx2000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
My Internet Expert guess is that your derailers are a bit out of whack, instead of the freehub. Oil your cables and derailer pivot points and see if that helps.
I did.
Old 08-18-20, 04:49 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000
Is there anything else that could be causing this? I won't have a chance to ride it for a few days to test it. The BB and crankset were recently taken apart to stop a ticking which ended up being a pedal.
Yes, a few things could cause this but try it out first and report back.
Old 08-25-20, 06:57 AM
Dcmkx2000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cleaned and lubed the freehub/pawls. Been on two rides and no changing sounds. Got some different advice from searching.....some said to grease everything, some said only light oil, and my lbs said to grease it. I ended up putting a little waterproof Teflon geese on the bearing surface in the the hub and used Triflow thing lube on the pawls.

Was I wrong? Suggestions for next time?
Old 08-25-20, 07:19 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
...waterproof Teflon geese...
And they say water rolls off a *duck's* back!
Old 08-25-20, 07:22 AM
Dcmkx2000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're a punny guy
Likes For Dcmkx2000:
Old 08-27-20, 06:03 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Cleaned and lubed the freehub/pawls. Been on two rides and no changing sounds. Got some different advice from searching.....some said to grease everything, some said only light oil, and my lbs said to grease it. I ended up putting a little waterproof Teflon geese on the bearing surface in the the hub and used Triflow thing lube on the pawls.

Was I wrong? Suggestions for next time?
What does the manufacturer recommend for cleaning & lubrication? All of that different advice is likely a mixture of people working on different parts & people just doing what they think will work best. The manufacturer of your parts should have a recommend cleaning & lubricating method. Go to their website and see if you can find it. Otherwise, just try a different lubricant next time.