Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used Trek Emonda ALR 5 - Good Deal?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Used Trek Emonda ALR 5 - Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 04:28 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
Yeah, what's your opinion in terms weight, features and novelty?
@hidetaka is convinced that the ALR5 2018 is the superior bike out of the line up, with a better/lighter frame, granted that a new wheelset is provided. Do you agree with him?

I'm not selling bikes professionally, but in a good year I'll flip around 8 - 9 bikes with a reasonable profit. You won't get rich obviously, but it's a decent side hustle.

I just want to know if it would make more sense to spend a little more, like 800 - 900€ for a slightly better bike outright, or get the cheaper ALR 5 2018 and upgrade the wheelset.
The stuff I see around here listed by obvious bike flippers - mid spec CF bikes with low spec rims. Similar to every bike you showed in your links. None of those bikes have higher spec wheelsets.

I believe one could make more money selling the higher quality rims without a bike attached - once they are on a bike, they are limited in value by all of the other features on the bike.

Picking an aluminum frame is going to limit your number of buyers. People want CF. But if you can get the aluminum cheap enough, you may be able to flip it??
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-24-24, 12:49 PM
2muchroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
The stuff I see around here listed by obvious bike flippers - mid spec CF bikes with low spec rims. Similar to every bike you showed in your links. None of those bikes have higher spec wheelsets.

I believe one could make more money selling the higher quality rims without a bike attached - once they are on a bike, they are limited in value by all of the other features on the bike.

Picking an aluminum frame is going to limit your number of buyers. People want CF. But if you can get the aluminum cheap enough, you may be able to flip it??
Yeah, I got the Emonda for 600€ today and the first thing I noticed was my butt requiring surgery after a 30 minute ride.
On my way back from the seller I was riding in the city with either heavy traffic, a light, pedestrian crossings or insane drivers constantly forcing me to stop every 40 feet.
I am used to it on a MTB, but with this thing it was a whole new experience.
Without even pedalling, literally just rolling, I pass 80% of the other cyclists and constantly have to worry about keeping my hand on the brake lever because **** comes up so fast from the corners now.
Like I get it now. This feeling of superiority lmao.

As for the wheelset, I already negotiated a good deal for those. Just have to make sure they fit.

Last edited by 2muchroad; 04-24-24 at 01:15 PM.