Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 02:08 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
Well today was one of the hardest rides I have ever had. well i was trying to go down the hill out of a park and onto the greenway. I was trying to slow enough to make the turn the downhill turn to the left on the greenway. The rear wheel slid and went down hard my left side. I ripped my new bib shorts and have some nice road rash on my leg and arm.

Trying to decide if riding home would be a good idea or not..
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Are you trying to show up the guys on the Tour de France?
Expect to be sore for a couple of days too.
Old 07-20-15, 02:33 PM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was raining (thunderstorms) for the third morning in a row. I decided let the storms pass and go to work a bit late. The roads were still very wet, the bike is a mess, but the ride itself was rather enjoyable!
Old 07-20-15, 05:19 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Are you trying to show up the guys on the Tour de France?
Expect to be sore for a couple of days too.
Not trying to show them up at all but totally have a new respect for guys who wreck and then jump right back on. I was not even going as fast as they do; obviously. I rode home 
Old 07-20-15, 05:56 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hot & sweaty...
Old 07-20-15, 05:59 PM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcrxjlb
Hot & sweaty...
Yup, and I chose today, of all days, to up my mileage. Missed the train by a minute (I didn't mind) chased it from Buckner to Walnut Hill, and rode to Royal. Wanted to ride further, but hell if it wasn't too hot.
Old 07-20-15, 06:11 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For hitting 1000 miles was the worst going both ways. Storm this morning and on the way home 2 small dogs decided to give chase. I'd played with them a bit just to see how far they'd run. A semi pulled out in front of me I guess because he had to. Downhill so it wasn't like I was going slow. And forgot to air up the tires. Oh well I'm still breathing and the same health as this morning!
Old 07-21-15, 05:10 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 90 Posts
It was a nice uneventful commute to work today after having a long weekend. Temps were warm and muggy, but it was nice.
Old 07-21-15, 05:29 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't posted in this thread in like.... maybe 2 years? 3?

I'm back commuting, as of a couple of months ago. All you new folks, welcome!

Ride in was muggy, but no wind. I pushed it, felt good. Getting my saddle-butt back, legs are eager and willing.
Old 07-21-15, 05:32 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Went slow this morning just because I could. Really a good temp out this morning and sounds like the same for the way home. Seen a couple other bicycler's this morning.. see the same 2 every couple months it seems.
Old 07-21-15, 06:29 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Hot and humid. 73F / 85% Humidity / 70F Dew point. This one house with the dog that chases bikers had the dog out again this morning. I could see him in his yard walking toward the road as I approached. Just as I reach him he is at the edge. Some cars were coming from behind me so I couldn't really swing out any. I just shouted, "NO! NO!" He didn't give chase at all just kind of barked in my general direction.
Old 07-21-15, 06:37 AM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot and humid, my legs are ready for a break tomorrow (my drive day) but I'm loving riding every day, even if short runs. Today is supposed to get hotter than heck, I'll be glad to be in air conditioning when I'm done. Based on the state of my legs, I'll be taking the short way, but later this week after a rest I'd like to go farther than I did yesterday.
Old 07-21-15, 06:59 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Last evening a friend said we were going to have a rain-free week - I said he just jinxed it and I was right. It poured last night but fortunately stopped before I left the house. However at the southern terminus of the MUP where it connects to a short east/west path the rain caused a mudslide which I couldn't really see until well into the turn. It wasn't really mud but sand, rocks, dirt, junk, etc. I managed to stay upright, did a little mountain bike move (totally luck) but may have to flip the riding shorts inside out for the trip home - if you know what I mean?!
Old 07-21-15, 07:44 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Took today off voluntarily, meaning not weather induced, for the first time since Father's Day. Anyway, plan to commute again tomorrow through the rest of the week.
Old 07-21-15, 08:12 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by esmith2039
A semi pulled out in front of me I guess because he had to.
Interesting... a semi truck pulled out in front of my yesterday too. It was near the Claycomo plant, which I know always has lots of trucks, but still had to hit the brakes pretty hard.
Old 07-21-15, 08:53 AM
txcrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Last evening a friend said we were going to have a rain-free week - I said he just jinxed it and I was right. It poured last night but fortunately stopped before I left the house. However at the southern terminus of the MUP where it connects to a short east/west path the rain caused a mudslide which I couldn't really see until well into the turn. It wasn't really mud but sand, rocks, dirt, junk, etc. I managed to stay upright, did a little mountain bike move (totally luck) but may have to flip the riding shorts inside out for the trip home - if you know what I mean?!
"Muddy" on both sides?
Old 07-21-15, 09:25 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by txcrash
"Muddy" on both sides?
The trail or my shorts?
Old 07-21-15, 09:28 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
This has been my week for running to roads that have been chipped but not sealed. Talk about bouncy and unstable. Today's road had been glassy asphalt for a couple weeks, I should have known it was too good to last. I guess the asphalt is some kind of underlayment.
Old 07-21-15, 09:28 AM
txcrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
The trail or my shorts?
Sounds like both....
Old 07-21-15, 10:29 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Had a fabulous ride in. Fast with seemingly little effort. Perfect weather too. Looking like the temps and humidity will be good for the ride home. The wind is going to suck though.
Old 07-21-15, 01:29 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another hot day today. Highs in the 90s with lots of humidity. Forecast says a cold front will move through later today and drop temperatures back into the 80s. I hope it's correct!
Old 07-21-15, 02:29 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
hot and muggy ride home yesterday evenign. Actually convinced a friend to ride with me just to make sure I was okay riding after my tumble yesterday. Found another bike commuter along the way and we all rode along together on the fairly freshly paved road home. I think it messed with some drivers heads to see a peloton of bike commuters. It was not bad and made it easier to think about something other than the pain from riding.

I felt the pain more today. I am sore all over. shoulder/ back/ and leg are so sore and tender. I hate bumping into stuff.
Old 07-21-15, 02:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Another single-track commute with the 1.5" slicks and the kickstand and bell! I now have all the parts for my Frankenbike and I have resolved to finish it as soon as I'm done with the next round of kidproofing. After that bike is ready to go, this one can be retired from road-and-tug duties, get knobby tires and a bell-and-kickstand-ectomy and become a true MTB again. Perhaps I'll miss the ding-twang noise going over rocks. Probably not!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-22-15, 05:18 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 90 Posts
A very nice commute in today, but I did not bring my lunch as I thought today was employee appreciation day. I was wrong, they are not going to appreciate us till next Wednesday. So I will have to buy myself a lunch today.
Old 07-22-15, 05:40 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Muggy. I wish I had a good pair of fog-proof glasses. I'm practicing my spin, have been making good time.
Old 07-22-15, 06:24 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the weather it's been really amazing in the mornings. today was nice cool and windy, so was Thu & Fri last week. Thu was downright chilly! it said 68 F but felt cooler than that.

yesterday was a hairy commute. mostly b/c i woke up late (8:15!) and that's kind of never happened.

anyhow, the commute was a lot scarier due to drivers angry about the bad traffic and making some very risky decisions (well risky for peds and cyclists).

----

rant starts: tl;dr

the President (POTUS) stopped me from commuting home - that is, police blocked off my route - on Friday. i hear he came to NYC and was to go to a Broadway show with his daughters. And the POTUS again stopped me from commuting on my car-less route yesterday evening. i'm guessing he was in town to discuss the nuclear deal with Iran at the UN? it's kind of amusing the first time to be re-routed on awful roads/traffic - the second time in less than a week... it was kinda annoying.

today was a hairy commute. 2 drivers decided to almost run me down or run me off the road. and then a jogger decided to jump into my lane just as i approached. i nearly slammed into him. what runner runs in the bike lane, wears those huge headphones so he can't hear anything else, and doesn't even look over his shoulder when changing position? what person with any thought process does that?

in any case... it was annoying to almost have a crash b/c someone makes idiot decisions. my rant of the day. probably not the last if it's like this on the way home :/

and my commute on Monday was so pleasant and awesome. darn.

Last edited by snow_echo_NY; 07-22-15 at 06:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.