Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Bigtime athletes in other sports could compete in Pro Cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which Bigtime athletes in other sports could compete in Pro Cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 09:51 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Distance runners, cc skiiers, cc runners, triathletes (cyclists already, of course), and speedskaters.

Not NBA stars though, whoever suggested them. They are huge men and women, despite often having proportional body habitus. Little Pantani-like dudes would eat them up in climbs.

I'm not sure about swimmers either, but I'll include them with a reservation: Despite having the endurance and aerobic ability, they need to concentrate on the upper body an awful lot for their sport, and tend to have massive shoulders and thoraces. Considering that many cyclists I've seen unshirted look like ET, swimmers tend to put them to shame in the torso dept, and I'm not sure how detrimental that would make them in a more leggy sport.
Old 12-07-05, 09:59 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Aussie triathlete/ironman Mitchell Anderson recently beat Henk Vogels by 4 minutes in the 180km bike leg of the Australian Ironman. The thing was, Vogels was only doing the bike leg of a relay team, but Anderson won the whole race. Ok, 180km time-trials aren't really Vogels' thing, but he's still a pro on a Euro team

Other than that, we have a few rowers and skaters coming over to cycling and they do quite well after only a few months of training

Last edited by 531Aussie; 02-21-09 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-07-05, 10:00 AM
The_Guru
S.African in SanFran

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale CAAD4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being someone who supports the underdog ...
Can anyone name perhaps a professional billiards player, fly-fishing world champ, or curling master that could make it in the Tour?
anyone?

*sounds of crickets*

*tumbleweed*

Oh well ..
Old 12-07-05, 12:11 PM
Slice2

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Team 1, 1984 Cannondale, 1979 Motobecane Team Champion, 1994 Fat City Yo' Eddy Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pro baseball players? BAH, they couldn't fit a helmet over those steroid balloons they call their heads. Maybe some kitchen soup pot secured with a bungee cord, but not any helmet I've every seen.

NHL stars could really suck a lot of air through those tooth openings though.

Now pro skiers would be another story. Imagine Alberto Tomba (think climber or sprinter) or Hermann Meier (think trackie) on a bike. Bodie Miller too.

This is a great thread.
Old 12-07-05, 12:27 PM

Bikes: R3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote here for Troy Bayliss. There's no quit in him.
Old 12-07-05, 12:30 PM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the strongest motorcycle racer who rides is Ben Bostrom... when he lived in Italy over the summer he won a Cat4 Road race, with a big climb for a finish.

Also, car racing star Max Papis grew up in the same region as Ivan Basso... rumor has it he is STRONG!!
Old 12-07-05, 12:43 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't believe only one other person has mentioned swimming.

a guy like Michael Phelps absolutely has the "gift" to crush people on a bike. a little on the tall side, but if an elite swimmer chose instead to pursue cycling, the results would be similar to their success in swimming would be my guess. LA was a swimmer.
Old 12-07-05, 12:45 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
The list of names is endless.
Clint Dempsey... New England
Landon Donovan... LA
Beckham would probably compete nicely

I also know some of the Italian players ride often. Like Marco Andriolli and Christiano Zanelli. Portugese star Figo does a lot of riding. He was actually spotted riding in the Providence RI area last summer, when the team was on tour.
I don't know any names but there are at least a couple of American football players who are involved when there are throws. Some of them seem pretty lean and may be able to ride pretty good.
Old 12-07-05, 12:58 PM
Sincitycycler

Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alekhine
Distance runners, cc skiiers, cc runners, triathletes (cyclists already, of course), and speedskaters.

Not NBA stars though, whoever suggested them. They are huge men and women, despite often having proportional body habitus. Little Pantani-like dudes would eat them up in climbs.

I'm not sure about swimmers either, but I'll include them with a reservation: Despite having the endurance and aerobic ability, they need to concentrate on the upper body an awful lot for their sport, and tend to have massive shoulders and thoraces. Considering that many cyclists I've seen unshirted look like ET, swimmers tend to put them to shame in the torso dept, and I'm not sure how detrimental that would make them in a more leggy sport.
I guarantee you that 100% of us would rather have a swimmer /surfer's build ( and tan!) that a cyclists build when it comes to hanging out on the beach...
Old 12-07-05, 01:10 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gapowermike
There are some natural athletes that would excel at nearly any sport they attempted. Maybe not winning at a pro level, but competitive.

Tiger, Jordan and Jim Courier are the ones coming to mind.

tiger...like tiger woods? Please tell me I'm missing a reference to a different tiger.

And Jordan was fine at baseball(not great, but better than any of you ), but I'd like to see him play a half or two in the NFL, as a receiver. No dice, I would bet.
Old 12-07-05, 01:24 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alekhine
I'm not sure about swimmers either, but I'll include them with a reservation: Despite having the endurance and aerobic ability, they need to concentrate on the upper body an awful lot for their sport, and tend to have massive shoulders and thoraces.
LA - 5'11" ~162lbs (see https://www.cyclingnews.com/letters/?...2/sep06letters for interesting discussion of LA's actual weight, which is hard to pin down.)
Michael Phelps - 6'3" 165 lbs https://www.topendsports.com/sport/sw...ps-michael.htm

taller, yes.
specialized for swimming, yes.
bulkier, no.

plus - awesomely low lactate production and clearing:
after Phelps scared the world record in the 200 backstroke last month, his lactate reading was 8.0 millimoles per liter of blood. That's extremely high for him, but after a taxing race against Phelps last summer, Baltimore native and Olympic gold medalist Tom Hannan had a reading of 17.0.

from a NYT article:
Mr. Armstrong, for example, had a lactic acid test after he had recuperated from cancer and had just begun to train again. He had 8 millimoles of lactate per liter of blood. The average person has a value of 12. But after Mr. Armstrong trained, his levels were 6, an astonishingly low number. "He has to train hard to have those very, very low levels," Dr. Coyle said.

Phelps (or other elite swimmers) if trained to be a cyclist, would only be hampered by height if anything at all.

Last edited by Mr_Super_Socks; 12-07-05 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-07-05, 01:37 PM
craign04
Fahren auf den Autobahn

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, 2004 Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hermann Maier had the opening ride in the Tour in '03 and if i remember right he wasnt too far off the pace... not bad for an alpine skier
Old 12-07-05, 03:40 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
A valid counter-question could be asked, i.e.,
What professional bicyclists could make an impact in other professional sports?

As has already been mentioned, physique has a LOT to do with it. Bikers have the aerobic capabilities of swimmers, but they'd have to build upper body strength if they wanted to be competitive.

Same in soccer. Bikers have the stamina of soccer players, but soccer players, like sprinters in track, are pretty buffed up.

Long distance running is where I think bicyclists would have the best chance to be competitive with their present physique.

Be that as it may, a great athlete is A GREAT ATHLETE, and if their lives had taken a different turn somewhere in the past, if they had focused on a different sport or had equal access to different sports, I firmly believe that some of the names synonymous with greatness in one sport could have been equally great, or at least seriously competitive, at pro bicycling too. A lot of guys got bulked up for their sport because they HAD to in order to be competitive. Had they chosen cycling, they wouldn't have had to.
Old 12-07-05, 03:45 PM
alxra
I hate hate crimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
plus - awesomely low lactate production and clearing:
after Phelps scared the world record in the 200 backstroke last month, his lactate reading was 8.0 millimoles per liter of blood....

Phelps (or other elite swimmers) if trained to be a cyclist, would only be hampered by height if anything at all.
That's pretty awesome. I was wondering how the swimmers might fare. The thing is, the longest distance swimmers compete at (at least in the olympics) is the 1500m freestyle, which only lasts for 15min or less. And let me tell you from experience, it is not an anaerobic event! This seems to be the hardest sport to equate performance and talent that would transfer to other sports, like cycling, running etc.
Old 12-07-05, 03:50 PM
scarpi41
Come on you reds!

Bikes: Bikeless in NY, due to a few thugs. But I do own a Kestrel in Florida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
getting to soccer, if you want to see quads the size of multiple watermelons, Look at Roberto Carlos of Real MAdrid. Also Christiano Ronaldo would be an awesome cyclist. I hear hes a fitness nut.
Old 12-07-05, 03:51 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Patriot
I say Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, and a few other top baseball players.

Well? They got the doping thing down pat.
Soccer and Speed skating or running is the place to look, not US team sports. Baseball-LOL..might as well say golf, 20 seconds of activity followed by 10 minutes of spitting and scratching. Then you'll need the designated climber and sprinter.

Soccer is the only team sport I know of with 45 minutes sustained hard effort and leg strength

Old 12-07-05, 03:53 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alxra
That's pretty awesome. I was wondering how the swimmers might fare. The thing is, the longest distance swimmers compete at (at least in the olympics) is the 1500m freestyle, which only lasts for 15min or less. And let me tell you from experience, it is not an anaerobic event! This seems to be the hardest sport to equate performance and talent that would transfer to other sports, like cycling, running etc.
But training is a different matter. 6000 meters of assorted reps where a lot of it is anerobic is common for very ordinary High School swimmers. Or at least was 30 years ago. I would guess it is a bit more now. And that is one training session. Expect any program at a division 1 University to have 2 such sessions every day.

Long term swimmers are a good place to look for cyclists. The limiting factors are the same. Unlike runners where the pounding can be a limiting factor in both swimming and cycling the impact is minimal. They really are sports where dealing with exhaustion is a major part. That is long term. Short term Swimming is way too much arm and very little leg, except for sprinters.
Old 12-07-05, 04:21 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Baseball-LOL..might as well say golf, 20 seconds of activity followed by 10 minutes of spitting and scratching. Then you'll need the designated climber and sprinter.

That's a riot, "spitting and scratching"!!
Old 12-07-05, 05:25 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Be that as it may, a great athlete is A GREAT ATHLETE, and if their lives had taken a different turn somewhere in the past, if they had focused on a different sport or had equal access to different sports, I firmly believe that some of the names synonymous with greatness in one sport could have been equally great, or at least seriously competitive, at pro bicycling too. A lot of guys got bulked up for their sport because they HAD to in order to be competitive. Had they chosen cycling, they wouldn't have had to.
You said it better than I did. I agree 100%.
Old 12-07-05, 06:00 PM
scarpi41
Come on you reds!

Bikes: Bikeless in NY, due to a few thugs. But I do own a Kestrel in Florida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Soccer and Speed skating or running is the place to look, not US team sports. Baseball-LOL..might as well say golf, 20 seconds of activity followed by 10 minutes of spitting and scratching. Then you'll need the designated climber and sprinter.

Soccer is the only team sport I know of with 45 minutes sustained hard effort and leg strength
FYI if you played a full 90 min soccer game, on a regulation field(idk i think 120x80)they run a good 8-10 miles!!!!and thats sprints with the occasional jog. Very fit are we soccer players. GLORY, GLORY MAN UNITED!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-05, 06:01 PM
Rob944

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark Webber of Williams rides and has trained with Armstrong. Alain Prost rode in his day a had the physique for it. I agree, top level drivers are super-fit. I am not a fan enough to know names but I would think some swimmers would make good bikers.

Originally Posted by SDRider
Tony Kanaan IIRC.

Edit-Formula One is the top tier of motor racing and the drivers are subjected to extreme heat and G forces during the course of one race. They need to be in top physical conditioning to endure 2 hours of 4+ G's under cornering and braking. Plus, most F1 drivers are between 5'6" and 5'8" tall and have the physique of a jockey but are very strong and fit. Christiano da Matta (who is no longer in F1) is 5'4" and 130lbs.

I still vote David Coulthard. He's probably one of the hardest training drivers in F1 and I'm pretty sure I remember reading how he was training with a couple of pro cyclists during the off season a couple years ago.
Old 12-07-05, 06:12 PM
redmonster

Bikes: Devinci Ollie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alxra
Don't get me wrong, Hockey is great. But what are you measuring that by? I believe Hockey is way behind in terms of TV ratings, and advertising dollars spent on the sports. As a matter of fact, NASCAR and the PGA are ahead of the NHL in AD dollars spent (and the other 3 for that matter). The major TV networks get in to cut throat negotiations and give their shorts away when it comes time to win the next TV contract for the NFL, MLB and NBA. ESPN couldn't give the contract away 4 or so years ago when their TV contract ended with the NHL.

Bad singing aside, Oscar De La Hoya could've been great as a cyclist.
I've got to disagree on the ratings part of your post. They had great ratings last season.
Old 12-07-05, 06:37 PM
invincibleone
Cause you only live once.

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R900 (Campy) 1989 Peugeot Team Pro (Campy) 1969 Atala chrome Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rowers and cross-country skiers would be competetive. I trained a little (for rowing) with Xeno Mueller (Gold and Silver Olympic single sculls rowing icon) and a man such as him could easily break into track cycling (he is a bit large [6'6" 225lb] for the pro-peloton) but I believe any internationally competetive light-weight oarsman would likely have a chance at being a competetive cyclist.
Old 12-07-05, 06:44 PM
was_bmxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont know if anyone has looked but, I posted a link above somewhere. Amy Gillett that was killed in a cycling/car accident in Germany this year, was a 2 time world champ (single scull) + an olympian, she then crossed into world class level cycling. Rowers for sure.

Marion Clignet, France: "I first met Amy at a world cup in Sydney and was awed when someone told me she had been an olympic rower and only on a bike for a few years. She was a great person to come across on the track or road because no matter what she always took the time to stop, chat, say hi, smile that gorgeous smile. My sincerest thoughts are with her family, team mates, and the entire community."
Old 12-07-05, 07:16 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sincitycycler
I guarantee you that 100% of us would rather have a swimmer /surfer's build ( and tan!) that a cyclists build when it comes to hanging out on the beach...
No argument here. I'm a former swimmer myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.