Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 2007 - yes, Hollow BB

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 10:42 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Translated from French

After the firsts Shimano 2007 news, some rumours about Campagnolo are spreading on the internet.
It is said that Campagnolo cranksets will be totally redesigned for the next year. They'll use a system similar to Shimano because of the external bearings but they will be ultra-narrow to lower the Q-Factor.
The crank/bottom bracket is different than the Shimano in that the crank is 2 “L” shaped items that fit together mechnically in the center of the bottom bracket spindle.
Still according to rumours, Campagnolo would be working closely with FRM and the first bikes equipped with the new cranksets would already be under tests on the road.

Negmass cranksets are using something that may look like what Campagnolo will be using next year:

Old 03-05-06, 11:04 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Can't wait for this to be on the market. just wondering how the cups will get tightened down.
Old 03-05-06, 11:35 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
must be one long crank bolt to tighten those two halves together.....
Old 03-06-06, 07:10 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Which sort of sucks because that will add weight...hmm lets get out engineering hats on and think of a way to pull this off and keep the weight low.
Old 03-06-06, 07:33 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Campy could thread the ends of the crank axle to thread together inside the shell instead of running a bolt down the middle. Campy could still use the current BB/cassette lockring tool for assembley and disassembly. The engineering would have to be uber-percise.
Old 03-06-06, 07:47 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Superglue - it's strong and light and can be made to come in colors.

55/Rad
Old 03-06-06, 08:11 AM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Bikes: Torelli 20th Anniversary, Trek 2000, Kona NuNu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon fiber bolts!
Old 03-06-06, 09:17 AM
diddidit

Bikes: Black Ruby, Big Red, and a nameless Schwinn MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the pipe is keyed together in the middle. If the bearings and bearing cups are secured to the cranks, threading the bearing cups into the BB housing could be all the side-to-side retention the thing needs. But then, to remove a crank, you'd have to unscrew the bearing cups.

did
Old 03-06-06, 09:19 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakey
Carbon fiber bolts!
Can we all say.... SHEER STRESS! ... no CF bolts! I like the idea of a treaded outer section vs a bolt!
Old 03-06-06, 09:20 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a shame to say goodbye to the wonderful Record bottom brackets! Ah well, I assume they know what they're doing.
Old 03-06-06, 09:31 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't like it. Don't like small Q-factors, and I especially don't like that joint in the middle of a part that gets super stressed.
Old 03-06-06, 10:13 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Well the word over at Campy only is that there are actually 3-4 designs on the drawing baord.
Old 03-06-06, 10:24 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
So is Campy tacitly acknowledging that external bearing bb's are a superior deisgn or just yielding to market pressure?
Old 03-06-06, 10:27 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
So is Campy tacitly acknowledging that external bearing bb's are a superior deisgn or just yielding to market pressure?
My guess is a little of both, but probably more to marketing pressure than anything else.
Old 03-06-06, 10:45 AM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, yet another standard on top of ISIS, Square Taper, Octalink, HTII etc. Well I guess its all in the name of progress, but I'm not buying any more sodding BB tools, uh-uh.

That joint looks like a bad idea, as does the idea of ulta narrow bearings doesn't seem like a good idea for longevity. Is this all in the name of differentiating themselves from Shimano? I'd kinda wished that they'd gone down the HTII route so that things could be standardised, but that was never going to happen I guess.

Incidentally, what kind or BB does the SRAM chainset use?
Old 03-06-06, 10:56 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by mingsta
Incidentally, what kind or BB does the SRAM chainset use?
Well since SRAM=Truvativ I would place a heafty bet that the BB will identical to those in the external bearing Truvativ cranks. https://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/index_content.php
Old 03-06-06, 11:48 AM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by mingsta

That joint looks like a bad idea, as does the idea of ulta narrow bearings doesn't seem like a good idea for longevity. Is this all in the name of differentiating themselves from Shimano? I'd kinda wished that they'd gone down the HTII route so that things could be standardised, but that was never going to happen I guess.
Amazing how many responses don't think this is a good idea based on eyeballing. I think Campagnolo has some experience with bike parts, I think they also employ an engineer or two.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that the 07 Record set will be lighter, stronger and more reliable than the current set, unless Campy decides to contradict the 74 year old philosophy of the company.

Old 03-06-06, 12:07 PM
mellowdave
Красный Октябрь

Bikes: Kona Major Jake - CX/Gravel Kona Jake The Snake - Commuter, Pinarello Galileo - RoadieAF, Niner Air 9 - HT MTB.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still dont understand what the problem is with square taper. I've never had a single failure, misalignment, or any other issue with aplain old square taper crank/BB.
Old 03-06-06, 12:13 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
ALL my bike are equipped with square taper BB's. I'll continue to use and replace them unless my next crankset of choice 'forces' me to use splined or other types of BB.....I don't have a problem with that also....
Old 03-06-06, 12:15 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by mellowdave
I still dont understand what the problem is with square taper. I've never had a single failure, misalignment, or any other issue with aplain old square taper crank/BB.
Cool. That's it. Cool.

Seriously, bicycles have not had any real changes in the last decade or two, therefore, in order to market effectively, it doesn't have to be better, just different.
Compact cranks are a good example of this.

Campy is going to this setup for weight. Record is still the lightest groupset, but the heavy aspect has been the cranks. Record in 07 will be lighter.

Old 03-06-06, 12:20 PM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
I'll go out on a limb and guess that the 07 Record set will be lighter, stronger and more reliable than the current set, unless Campy decides to contradict the 74 year old philosophy of the company.
I have known about this (or a similar design) since Interbike. DocRay is correct... Campy's new design is in the neighborhood of 20 - 30% lighter than what is available now, and it is significantly stronger.

People who look at this picture and say... "oh it's not a good design" don't have any idea what they are talking about. The basic idea is to create less pieces in the crank area. Two pieces is better than three. Less can go wrong.

Campagnolo is a very conservative company by nature. They have stuck with the square taper bottom bracket for a reason. Some say it is outdated and bla bla bla... but ask world champion Tom Boonen what he thinks about his winning sprint last fall. It works and works well. Campy has sent the last couple of years working on this design. I am confident that this new design will not make it to market unless it is strong, light, spins well and last a long time.
Old 03-06-06, 12:40 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadracer13
People who look at this picture and say... "oh it's not a good design" don't have any idea what they are talking about. The basic idea is to create less pieces in the crank area. Two pieces is better than three. Less can go wrong.
Vuelta, Stage 2.

That was an isolated incident. There were many successes in the 2005 campaign with the new Dura Ace design. Please understand that I am not trying to flame. Just illustrating that things _can_ go wrong.

I'm sure Campagnolo will get it right. Being conservative has its advantages. They'll take the time to get it right before going to production with the design.

Still...

*sets out to horde every last Campy square taper BB and crankset he can find*

*hugs his current square taper Centaur BB*
Old 03-06-06, 01:32 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I agree on the weight aspect of it but other than that
square taper just plain works

the good thing is that those square taper BBs and cranks the gcasillo is going to
start hoarding are gonna get dumped by the boatload by all the racerboy wannabes.
Ebay ought to be chockablock about a month or two after the final design is released.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 03-06-06, 01:36 PM
pete!
dork

Bikes: serotta csi, 70's vicini, confsed bianchi fixed gear, bianchi axis cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can campy carbon get more expensive?
Old 03-06-06, 01:47 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gcasillo
Don't like it. Don't like small Q-factors, and I especially don't like that joint in the middle of a part that gets super stressed.
There are race cars making 1000 HP and use a U-Joint to transmit the power to the rear. I don't think most humans can't exert enough power to snap axles on any kind of consistent basis, actually anytime at all.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.