Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

why people buy new (expensive) bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

why people buy new (expensive) bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 05:18 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lief
What does LBS mean?
LBS = Local Bike Shop.
Old 09-12-12, 05:34 AM
OldManRiley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like new bikes. And old bikes. I snap up good deals on CL, fix 'em up, and ride them until I get bored of them, at which point I usually flip them and break even or make a small profit. But since I don't spend money on gasoline, car insurance, car payments, parking, alcohol, cigarettes, eating out too much, or a million other little purchases that most people piddle their money away on, I reckon I can afford to treat myself to a newer, more expensive bike every few years. I do the same thing with guns (my other big hobby).
Old 09-12-12, 08:40 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
LBS = Local Bike Shop.
It took me at least 50 posts before I finally figured out "LBS" because of course when you're actually talking to your friends about bike stores, you call the store by its name, not "LBS".

I came across another acronym in another thread recently that I couldn't decipher, but I can't recall what the letters were... ah well...
Old 09-12-12, 08:48 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by RickLafayette
What bothers me about this thread is why does anyone care what other people ride or spend on their equipment. This class envy thing is getting out of hand and is the primary cause for the divide that has taken place in this country. I don't need to answer to anyone about what I ride or why. I don't care if citizen X has a bigger or nicer home than me, or if citizen Y has a car that costs 10 times more than my truck. If I own something that other's opine is too expensive, it's because I earned it! If I can't afford more things in life that I would like, it might be because I made some wrong decisions in my life.
Sorry for my little rant.
FWIW I don't see this as aclass warfare or env thread.

The OP had a very legitimate question. The same question could be posed about most purchases: houses, cars, boats, motorcycles.

Why buy new/ expensive when an old/older one can be bought and restored.
Old 09-16-12, 02:03 AM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems that most people are sharing the same opinion... More expensive bike rides less and only in perfect weather. Cheaper bikes are actually more practical and are used a lot. I see very few very expensive bikes on trails. Most of them are rather slow ( read - careful ). On other hand, I see a lot of bikes that are older than me ( mostly road bikes ) and these guys are flying by like a rocket. No carbon anywhere, steel frames... It's all about the rider...
Old 09-16-12, 06:02 AM
northernlights

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with all the money you'll be spending to fix up an old broken down bike you could probably buy a nice new bike anyway. a good entry level bike can be had for well under 500 bucks at an LBS or online. going used is often not worth the headaches or the risk and could well end up costing you more (than a new bike) in the long run.
Old 09-16-12, 07:51 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights
with all the money you'll be spending to fix up an old broken down bike you could probably buy a nice new bike anyway. a good entry level bike can be had for well under 500 bucks at an LBS or online. going used is often not worth the headaches or the risk and could well end up costing you more (than a new bike) in the long run.
Depends on what you want and what you need. I ride XL bikes (in today's sizing) I do much better buying a couple of older bikes, typically a frame set in my size and then a smaller bike to strip for components. I have actually purchased a brand new bike that was too small (they didn't make any in the XL in that model) and used the parts on an older frame that I already had. Cheaper than purchasing the individual components.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-16-12, 09:43 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like old bikes from the 80s. Good solid steel frames, durable components.

However;
I work in a bike shop
and when you compare the price differential of
buying a new Surly at wholesale prices
vs
paying inflated ebay/CL prices for old, then having to restore the bike on top of it
It just doesn't make sense to buy old ones unless they're something really special.
Old 09-16-12, 10:36 PM
NaBlade
Dammit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
The OP had a very legitimate question. The same question could be posed about most purchases: houses, cars, boats, motorcycles.

Why buy new/ expensive when an old/older one can be bought and restored.
Exactly (and I'm saying that in frustration). It's an age-old question that can be applied to many things where the many answers are quite OBVIOUS. So why bother posting it, and even have the temerity of saying "I don't get it." Either the OP is an idealistic teenager (which I doubt if he runs a Bike Kitchen), or is truly narrow-minded, or just completely ignorant of the society he lives in.
Old 09-16-12, 10:57 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77
It seems that most people are sharing the same opinion... More expensive bike rides less and only in perfect weather. Cheaper bikes are actually more practical and are used a lot. I see very few very expensive bikes on trails. Most of them are rather slow ( read - careful ). On other hand, I see a lot of bikes that are older than me ( mostly road bikes ) and these guys are flying by like a rocket. No carbon anywhere, steel frames... It's all about the rider...
Piffel, generalizations and biased observations I say. At the Furnace Creek 508 last October I saw a lot of bikes made for all materials and many brand new. Talking with some of the riders on those new bikes I hear of 15-20 thousand miles a year by many of them. Cheeper bikes are more practical, in what way? Do they shift better? Do they have a better selection of cassettes? Do they have better and stronger wheels? How many miles do you put on a year? And as for Steel bikes flying by like a rocket? Yes a lot of it is the rider but I do seem to see a lot of Cat 1 to Cat 5 riders at the local races on CF and Aluminum bikes and there aren't a bunch of Steel rockets passing them, though there are some at times. So from my biased observations I see boatloads of cheep steel bikes at yard sales that are hardly ever used. And many of them are older than me and only have a few 100 miles on them.

Touring and utility bikes are different animals but they hardly ever fly by like a rocket unless you are counting rockets on flat beds being hauled to Florida. Cheaper bikes are not more practical because anyone who loves to ride will ride a good bike just as much as they would a cheap bike. Cheap tools will often do a job. Quality tools will do the job and often do it better. Nothing against cheap tools but in the case of bikes it is just as much about the value you put on the bike, (tool) as it is the rider. A great rider will do well on a cheap bike. a great rider on a great bike will do even better.
Old 09-21-12, 02:52 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Piffel, generalizations and biased observations I say. At the Furnace Creek 508 last October I saw a lot of bikes made for all materials and many brand new. Talking with some of the riders on those new bikes I hear of 15-20 thousand miles a year by many of them. Cheeper bikes are more practical, in what way? Do they shift better? Do they have a better selection of cassettes? Do they have better and stronger wheels? How many miles do you put on a year? And as for Steel bikes flying by like a rocket? Yes a lot of it is the rider but I do seem to see a lot of Cat 1 to Cat 5 riders at the local races on CF and Aluminum bikes and there aren't a bunch of Steel rockets passing them, though there are some at times. So from my biased observations I see boatloads of cheep steel bikes at yard sales that are hardly ever used. And many of them are older than me and only have a few 100 miles on them.

Touring and utility bikes are different animals but they hardly ever fly by like a rocket unless you are counting rockets on flat beds being hauled to Florida. Cheaper bikes are not more practical because anyone who loves to ride will ride a good bike just as much as they would a cheap bike. Cheap tools will often do a job. Quality tools will do the job and often do it better. Nothing against cheap tools but in the case of bikes it is just as much about the value you put on the bike, (tool) as it is the rider. A great rider will do well on a cheap bike. a great rider on a great bike will do even better.
I guess we are both right ;-), plus, what is a cheap bike? $1000, $300 or maybe $5000 for some Pro cat guy... Another can of worms lol
Old 09-21-12, 05:08 PM
JPMacG

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would consider buying a used bike but I don't know where to find used bikes. I look on craig's list, but never see much of interest. Finding the type of bike I want in the size and condition I want is difficult.
Old 09-21-12, 05:19 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I recently bought a just-off-the-ship 2013 Kona Jake -- $1100. It's nice. It's shiny. It has disc brakes. It has lots of cool features like hydro-formed tubes, internal cable routing and semi-integrated headset that you just don't get with old bikes. I've really been enjoying it.

This morning I rode my frankenbike instead -- 1989 RockHopper with 8-speed drop bar conversion. The thing looks like it spent the last 23 years getting beaten with the ugly stick, but man is it smooth. I got the RockHopper for $120 a few years ago, but I've got about $600 in it to get it to its current state.

I like both of these bikes. They both make me happy. If I sold them both tomorrow, I'd probably lose more money on the frankenbike.
Old 09-21-12, 06:11 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights
There's another thing to consider, your relationship to the bike. I have a 1972 American Eagle/Nishiki. I bought it in 1978. I've probably ridden it well over 50K miles and have a lot of memories with it. It's been upgraded several times. No other bike can replace the memories.

I also have a 1988 Specialized Hard Rock that's been streetified. A couple of years ago I had it gone over by a shop and spent $300 on a bike that had been a freebie when I got it. The rebuild is rugged and the bike has saved me so much money over the time I've had it, it's well worth it.

And, if you are of an environmentally friendly mindset, there is satisfaction from keeping an older bike going. It's like building a hotrod instead of buying a new sports car.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-21-12, 08:56 PM
Mobile 155

The question still has to be asked what would make an old bike better than a new bike? It might be cheeper but what makes it better? Is your time worth anything? Some people buy new bikes because they have already spent time earning the money and they don't want to spend any more time building the bike. Some people buy all the parts new and build a new bike so they can enjoy the build and have a "new" bike. These first two get new technology and better componants that can be found in most LBS. Some people seem to enjoy building old machines but when they are done they simply have an old maching rebuilt. And other rebuild old machines and put new componants on the bike, only saving the cost of the frame.
Old 09-21-12, 09:08 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think there are people who also just like the latest greatest. More power to them, you could spend money on worse things.

The thing I think is a shame is when you see a guy come out of a bike shop with a expensive bike and a resolution, only to ride a few times, feel the burn, then hang the bike up in the garage never to ride again.

People ask me about riding and commuting. A fair percentage of those people express to me they would like to do it as well. I usually advise them to rent or borrow a bike and challenge themselves by planning a couple easy rides, and riding them.
Old 09-21-12, 10:01 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by lopek77
I agree that the rider is paramount in the equation. I disagree, however, about your assertion that the nicer the bike the less it gets ridden. I have some very nice bikes and I ride the hell out of each one of them. There are no garage queens in my stable.
Old 09-21-12, 10:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by silmarillion
The thing I think is a shame is when you see a guy come out of a bike shop with a expensive bike and a resolution, only to ride a few times, feel the burn, then hang the bike up in the garage never to ride again.
If it weren't for these people probably a lot of bicycle shops would be out of business. They probably couldn't survive if they sold expensive bikes only to people who would actually take advantage of the alleged riding benefits of a high priced bike
Old 09-21-12, 10:53 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
You need newer, expensive bikes so you can meet your deductible when you try to drive into the garage while the bikes are on the roof rack.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-21-12, 11:01 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Doohickie
You need newer, expensive bikes so you can meet your deductible when you try to drive into the garage while the bikes are on the roof rack.
Don't use a roof rack...and even if I did, my garage is reserved for the bikes...and for my grown children stuff. You don't have an empty nest till your kids' stuff is out of the garage.
Old 09-21-12, 11:48 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I know it's kinda funny if you are trying to be "green" but i don't think i'd ever buy a used bike. They're just "icky" and some of them just don't look cool. If i let my bikes get really dirty, well hey at least it's my dirt and grime! Have you seen Top Gear where they analyze the contents of the used cars they buy?

In every hobby they tell you "Bro you can get something really nice for $300 USED!" But i don't want used bro! I want to open the box and get that new parts smell!
Old 09-22-12, 12:36 AM
Mobile 155

It is true, you could go to the thrift store and buy used coffee cups, dishes, used shirts and Jeans. You could buy used shoes and Boots and even used glasses. Used TVs, Used Refrigerators and Stoves. You would save money and save the enviroment. You can buy used tools and I have before. But none of the used tools came with a warrentee. Used bikes don't either. Lets be honest. Dura Ace works better than Sora. Sora will work but if you have shifted with Dura Ace you can tell the differnce with your eyes closed.

The answer to the OP is the reason people buy new is because new works better and is quicker to get into riding shape. New bikes can be fitted to you first and then bought used bikes are hit and miss. When you roll out of a LBS with a new bike it will more than likely work as you expect it to. And no one else has had a chance to add or subtract from the bike something that you might like.

Yes you can make a used bike work like you want it to but that is going to take time. The biggest difference I see between buying new and fixing up a trash bike is with a new bike you get a bike just like you want it. With a used trash bike you have to hope you can make it into something that will work. And I agree you can make a used bike into a great daily rider. But you can also work you tail off and end up with a POS. Cyclist don't put in more miles on recycled bikes. They may put in as much as a cyclist does on a good bike but it is unlikely they will put in more.

The real question might be which is the better bike? Which will roll better, shift better, coast better and which is easier to get parts for and worked on? And which will get replaced by insurance if someone rolls over it with a car?

But the truth is as was stated earlier, people buy them, new bikes, because they can and they feel they earned it. Some people simply can't or don't think they deserve any better.
Old 09-22-12, 01:01 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MightyLegnano
I have an old mountain bike (80's) with new but cheap or recycled components and I've done with it thousands of miles loaded with fridge and sink. In times I have to use the poor thing while raining, snowing every single day. It is still in perfect working condition, the nicest bike I have ever ridden.

The only new bike I had, was an old bmx when I was a kid. Is the joy of getting a new bike so strong?

There are so many nice bikes out there, almost dead from obsolescence, waiting for someone to resurrect them, why buy a new expensive one? You will lose the joy of making it work as well. I don't get it.

A good old steel road bike is so much slower than a new hi tech carbon one? I seriously doubt it.
This belongs in the C & V forum. Why buy new when there really are so many nice older bikes.
Old 09-22-12, 06:37 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
^^^^

Korea in a nutshell. Expensive=better. People look at my bikes built out parts they considered to be "inferior" and assume that it must be a bad bike. Thats not true. All my parts fit into the "great for the price" category. Example - Deore disc brakes. They stop me just as nicely as xt or xtr, can use the same pads, but are a little heavier and a little less "pretty". Who cares if it works?
man, that's PEOPLE in a nutshell. You think Korea has the market cornered on consumer mentality? I would say companies like Chanel and Louis Vuitton have that mentality refined a long time ago.

Obviously someone cares if it's lighter and more high tech because there is a market for it. It's called market strategy, where by cheap bastards like me can buy great stuff and get the trickle down technology that the early adopters buy on top end product. All the R&D and marketing is wrapped up in the top end product, so it's expensive.

Last edited by cruiserhead; 09-22-12 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-22-12, 06:47 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hamiltonian
There's really no right answer—the bikes we value can be valued for different reasons. An uber, expensive bike is great to have, of course, but so is the feeling of repurposing a dumpster bike. I like both, and I don't see any conflict.
exactly.
The real question is: for someone that only focuses on the adventure, why are you so focused on the bike?
No matter who you are or what you have, as long as you are enjoying the adventure, more power to you.

In any tech device (especially one that is raced), people will be fascinated by the mechanical aspect.
The OP obviously is. He gets joy out of building up a bike obviously, just as someone gets joy out of building up a new, top line bike.

But if you want to focus on the important part, maybe the internet is not the best forum for it.
Internet lends itself to the mechanical aspect.

The best forum to talk about the adventure, is out there on the road or trail with your buds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.