Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best degreaser for chain cleaning?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best degreaser for chain cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 08:20 AM
rgpg_99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which Simple Green?

Sorry to reactivate an old thread. Several posters have mentioned Simple Green. I went to Home Depot today, and I saw several types: one in the paint section, to prepare surfaces for painting; one in the cleaning section, as a dish degreaser. Is there a specific one that you use for chain degreasing? I guess something used to prepare a surface for painting may be too abrasive on the metal...

Also, I used kerosene as a kid, but it was only mentioned in passing on the thread. Apart from the strong odor, any disadvantage to it? Is anyone using kerosene as a drive train degreaser? And if so, where do you buy it?
Old 02-28-11, 09:13 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
The strong odor probably means it's bad for you to breathe.

I usually just use lube. I happen to like ATF, and I've been told that its strength is that it holds particles in suspension, i.e. it takes them out of the nooks and crannies. Great stuff, and cheap.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-28-11, 01:07 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just use paint thinner or odorless mineral spirits. kerosene is okay, but it leaves a thin film. Mineral Spirits evaporates completely, and it is eminently recyclable. I am still using a gallon I bought about two years ago.
Old 02-28-11, 06:30 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once a month
1. Remove chain
2. Soak in mineral spirits (about a pint) while I clean the rest of the bike
3. Shake vigorously
4. Wipe with clean rag to hasten drying if you want
5. Let dry (use the wifes hair dryer to hasten drying internal parts (if she will let you))
6. Soak chain in light oil and shake vigorously. The longer it soaks the better, but an hour should be sufficient.
7. Pour old mineral spirits through coffee filter and strainer to clean for reuse next month. I change mineral spirits about every 3-4 months
8. Reinstall chain on clean bike
9. Go for a ride
10. A gallon of mineral spirits will last for ever
11. Cheaper than LBS cleaners
12. Wiping your chain only pushes grit into places that you want to clean
13. The chain may look clean on the outside but you can't wipe the inner workings of a chain

Last edited by kjc9640; 02-28-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 07:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
More casual than above..
a little Kerosene, on a rag , and back pedal the chain thru it..

IG hub, low end, not a high zoot 11 speed cghain
Old 02-28-11, 07:22 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
+1.
Gasoline is so hazardous that it should not be used for anything other than powering internal combustion engines.
+2
Due to its low flash point gasoline is way too dangerous to be used as a solvent. I use mineral spirits, kerosene would also work well.
Old 02-28-11, 07:37 PM
cdale4ever 

Bikes: Multiplying

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only use paraffin (canning wax) to lube my chain, so it doesn't really get dirty. Put it in the double boiler about every 500 miles or so, all the old wax melts off, and any little bit of crud falls through the screen in the bottom. After about 30 min in the pot, the wax seeps into all the little crevices. Then just hang it over the pot to drip until it's cool. It's a little stiff at first, but it loosens right up in a couple miles. Just for a little extra lube, I also dumped a little tube of lock graphite in the wax. Dirt doesn't stick, so your gears & derailleur wheels stay nice & clean, too!
1989 Cannondale 3.0 Criterium (frame only)
1990 Cannondale 3.0 Criterium (frame only)
1986 Trek 400
1986 Raleigh Elkhorn (MTB)
1973 Raleigh Super Course
Lots of wheels and old parts, not enough time
Old 02-28-11, 08:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I've heard that the lube-and-wipe method pushes dirt in, but it seems (to me) to pull dirt out. The chain runs nicely. I'm not taking my chain off every month! Flushing enough oil through it must take at least some dirt out.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-06-13, 09:22 AM
BJC

Bikes: Hardtail MTB on city tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use these materials to clean my drivetrain:

1. Generic blue dishwashing liquid

2. 1 gal bucket

3. Dish brush

4. Red shop towel

5. Finish Line Teflon Dry Lube

6. Big towel

First I place a big towel under the bicycle's drivetrain and wipe the chain thoroughly with the red shop towel. I then pour blue dishwashing liquid and hot water in the bucket and I dip the dish brush in the 1 gal bucket and scrub the chain followed by the front sprockets, and rear cassettes until they are all clean. I then let the drivetrain air dry completely before I generously apply Finish Line Dry Lube on the chain much later.

Last edited by BJC; 05-30-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 10:58 AM
JPMacG

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very interesting that the chain manufacturers advise against cleaning with a solvent. I have always cleaned with paint thinner or kerosene and my chains always wear quickly. Think I will try the wipe only method on my next chain and see if it lasts any longer.
Old 06-06-13, 02:19 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by BJC
I use these materials to clean my drivetrain:

1. Chain cleaning solution of 1/4 blue dishwashing liquid & 3/4 water.

2. 1 gal bucket

3. Finish Line Grunge Brush

4. Red shop towel

5. Finish Line Teflon Dry Lube

6. Big towel

First place a big towel under the bicycle's drivetrain. I use the long end of the Grunge Brush to scrub the front sprockets, rear cassettes, and both derailleurs. I put the chain cleaning solution on my chain and I let it soak on the chain for at least an hour. Then I pour some water in a bucket and I dip the three-brush end of the Grunge Brush in it and I scrub the chain vigorously dipping the brush in the water occassionally and continuously scrubbing until the chain is clean. I then wipe off the chain with a shop towel and I let it air dry completely before I apply any Dry Lube on the chain.
Since you bumped a 2 years' dormant thread to add this, how long do your chains last with this method?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-06-13, 02:46 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by rgpg_99
Also, I used kerosene as a kid, but it was only mentioned in passing on the thread. Apart from the strong odor, any disadvantage to it? Is anyone using kerosene as a drive train degreaser? And if so, where do you buy it?
Water-based degreasers, including anything 'citrus' or 'green' are useless. A perverse law of the universe is that the more flammable and toxic a degreaser, the better it works. Kerosene, mineral spirits or Varsol are a good compromises.

But then I don't spend too much time fussing about chain maintenance. It is hard to do much useful when the chain is on the bike, as the wear that causes a chain to go bad is on the inside. Keeping a chain meticulously clean and lubed will marginally increase its life. I go through 4 chains per year; buy cheap and replace often. If you don't replace when it is time, then the 'stretched' chain will quickly eat through the rings and cogs, which are the expensive parts.

This is one good reason to be 1-2 cogs behind the early adopter types. Have you priced 11-speed chains?
Old 06-06-13, 06:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I'm with Dave Mayer in replacing chains early and not going to so many speeds. I have a 3x9 drivetrain from about 1998. I think it's my newest, and it's not currently installed on any of my bikes. Right now, I'm riding a 3x7 drivetrain.

Cleaning chains is too icky and time consuming.

Old 06-06-13, 06:16 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by varminter
When considering how many millions of people visit the gas station daily for a refuel and none blow themselves up...
Oh?
https://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.ZukvSTr0hoo
Old 06-10-13, 03:10 PM
BJC

Bikes: Hardtail MTB on city tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Since you bumped a 2 years' dormant thread to add this, how long do your chains last with this method?
Regarding the chain's longevity, I cannot answer that; however, the reason why I use the blue dishwashing liquid is that it also cuts grease and washes dirt off the bicycle chain without emitting the noxious fumes associated with degreaser.

Last edited by BJC; 10-10-13 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-10-13, 04:16 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Water-based degreasers, including anything 'citrus' or 'green' are useless. A perverse law of the universe is that the more flammable and toxic a degreaser, the better it works. Kerosene, mineral spirits or Varsol are a good compromises.

But then I don't spend too much time fussing about chain maintenance. It is hard to do much useful when the chain is on the bike, as the wear that causes a chain to go bad is on the inside. Keeping a chain meticulously clean and lubed will marginally increase its life. I go through 4 chains per year; buy cheap and replace often. If you don't replace when it is time, then the 'stretched' chain will quickly eat through the rings and cogs, which are the expensive parts.

This is one good reason to be 1-2 cogs behind the early adopter types. Have you priced 11-speed chains?
Properly cleaned chains last a long time. I clean mine in Simple green and water in an ultrasonic cleaner. My 8sp road chain (same as the 6 and 7) has over 7700 miles on it and shows no wear.