Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best way to prevent getting salty sweat in your eyes?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Best way to prevent getting salty sweat in your eyes?

Old 08-09-19, 12:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,447 Times in 1,428 Posts
@chas58, my feelings about merino are the same. I can only wear a synthetic jersey or shirt once, because it does stink, but the same is not true for my synthetic cap. I don't know why. I wear a wool or synthetic hat in the winter but no wool in the summer. And yes, it's amazing how many times I can wear a merino shirt between washings. Sometimes ten!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-09-19, 04:01 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
@chas58 and @noglider, how long are you wearing your synthetic clothes and do you quickly dry them when you take them off? My commute is about 50-55 minutes each way and after each ride, my clothes are hung and a fan blows on them. I wash them weekly (like, now) and they don't stink.
Old 08-09-19, 04:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@SylvainG, I wear them for various periods. You're right that drying them quickly after wearing them can help. Still, merino is worlds better at not absorbing odor. In the winter, I wore ONE merino t-shirt as an undershirt, every day except laundry day. I even skipped laundry occasionally.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-09-19, 04:29 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i'm an extremely heavy sweater, so this has been an issue for me. i found a pretty good solution that works for me by accident years ago.

the forehead foam padding at the front of my helmet started to poke out of its fabric shell, kind of creating a "V" shape, pointing downward

what happened is that gravity started to pull the sweat down to the bottom of the foam "V" (instead of onto my forehead) where it then dripped out like a leaky faucet.

perhaps it'd be a little gross to some to see their sweat drip... drip... drip... dripping right in front of their face, but hey, as long as it ain't going in my eyes, it's a win for me.
Old 08-09-19, 04:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by RonE
I use a cheap cotton headband that I wear just above the brows. I ring it out about every hour or so. It works well, but I do carry a second headband in case it is needed. I was surprised at the amount of water that it captures.
A cotton T-Shirt style band here too.

I'm a bit down on riding this summer..

For errands and such, I take the sweatband off at every stop, then rotate it so there is a dry spot over the forehead. Sometimes ringing (or ringing the helmet sweat pads).
Old 08-09-19, 05:11 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by noglider
@SylvainG, I wear them for various periods. You're right that drying them quickly after wearing them can help. Still, merino is worlds better at not absorbing odor. In the winter, I wore ONE merino t-shirt as an undershirt, every day except laundry day. I even skipped laundry occasionally.
Yes, my socks are Merino wool and even after a week (10 hours wore time), they have no smell what so ever. Again though, they are hung to dry after each ride.
Old 08-09-19, 05:47 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by Ken2
This is a different approach that I prefer:
www.traxfactory.com/shop
​​​​​​Also available on Amazon. This replaces whatever front 'band' is in your helmet. Just peel it out and (assuming it attaches via velcro as most do) stick this in. Works better and longer for me even in 100deg+ than Halo & others mentioned.
$12.99 US on Amazon.com and $41.45 CND on Amazon.ca. Both are from Sweat Buster. What a rip off.
Old 08-10-19, 02:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Yes, my socks are Merino wool and even after a week (10 hours wore time), they have no smell what so ever. Again though, they are hung to dry after each ride.
I wear wool socks year-round, but my body has a propensity to collect fungus. I got those fungus-y toenails, which were gross. I took the medicine to get rid of it, and you're only supposed to use it once per lifetime, and I've taken it twice. (Oops.) Now I'm extra cautious about fungus, so I change my socks more religiously than changing my underwear. So I have two rules about socks: (1) no cotton socks ever, and (2) change my wool or synthetic socks every day.

Old 08-10-19, 08:04 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by noglider
I wear wool socks year-round, but my body has a propensity to collect fungus. I got those fungus-y toenails, which were gross. I took the medicine to get rid of it, and you're only supposed to use it once per lifetime, and I've taken it twice. (Oops.) Now I'm extra cautious about fungus, so I change my socks more religiously than changing my underwear. So I have two rules about socks: (1) no cotton socks ever, and (2) change my wool or synthetic socks every day.
Have you tried sandals during summer time? My SPD sandals work fantastic at keeping my feet comfortable, either when it's hot or raining. I stop wearing them when temperature drops below 15C in the morning.
Old 08-11-19, 06:40 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I have a similar problem here. Not the temperature so much as the humidity which is typically in the 80% range. I have been using Walz Caps for a few years now, but I am sure there are other brands out there. The short bill on the front fits fine under the helmet and my body position on the bike allows the bill to drip in front of my eyes, although sometimes it gets on my sunglasses. As others have mentioned, caps do increase the temperature of the head, but a quick squirt from the water bottle will cool things off for a while. As a baldy, there isn't a lot of good options.
Old 08-11-19, 05:31 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Buy a thin buff and cut off a section to use as a headband.
Old 08-11-19, 06:00 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
I am using one of these halo sweat bands but even that gets drenched within minutes and I have salty sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes which burns.
What are the best ways to keep the sweat out of the eyes? Thx.
I can relate. I don't sweat, I LEAK. Anyway, if a Halo isn't getting it than I'd try the Sweat Gutr. It's a silicone channel that you place just above the eyebrows. It flat works but is not the most comfortable. You do get used to it though. One other thing I recommend is removing the brow pad in your helmet because it just saturates and then drips in your eye's.

Edit: Just checked the Sweat GUTR website and it seems they have made nice enhancements to the product since I last used one. Seems like a no brainer for guys that overpower a Halo.

Last edited by Nessism; 08-11-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 08:47 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Summer has now finally started here. For the next weeks my evening commutes will be hot with temperatures around 100 plus high humidity. Meaning I will be sweating like crazy. I am using one of these halo sweat bands but even that gets drenched within minutes and I have salty sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes which burns.
What are the best ways to keep the sweat out of the eyes? Thx.
i use a Halo and sometimes carry a bandanna to wipe my eyes and behind my glasses. When i stop i make a point to take my helmet off and hope that the halo evaporates the water first.
Old 08-12-19, 10:53 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Another vote for GUTR

A friend turned me on to the GUTR. I use it for any length of bike ride where I am sweating a bunch including my daily commute.

Originally Posted by Nessism
I can relate. I don't sweat, I LEAK. Anyway, if a Halo isn't getting it than I'd try the Sweat Gutr. It's a silicone channel that you place just above the eyebrows. It flat works but is not the most comfortable. You do get used to it though. One other thing I recommend is removing the brow pad in your helmet because it just saturates and then drips in your eye's.

Edit: Just checked the Sweat GUTR website and it seems they have made nice enhancements to the product since I last used one. Seems like a no brainer for guys that overpower a Halo.
Old 08-13-19, 01:30 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I will give them a try. This is our local forecast for the next 14 days. Hot and humid....
Humidity in the 40s and 50s? I am so jealous! Here in Atlanta the humidity rarely dips below the 80s and is often in the 90s. I sweat buckets, nothing works.
Old 08-14-19, 10:57 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Another Buff

I'll wear a headband or bandana on even mild days with mild activity, because I'll have sweat in my eyes in 10 minutes. I use a uv+ buff in pirate cap mode under the helmet. The fibers are supposedly designed to wick perspiration throughout the garment, allowing better evaporation, and thereby better cooling.

I'm actually amazed that a single thickness poly knit is capable of succeeding where multiple layers of cotton fail on occasion, but that's the future. I'll use a merino buff on cooler or damp days. You can get decent deals on old stock from Buff and on Amazon whenever.
Old 08-14-19, 11:45 AM
ucfdad

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I use these and they are amazing. Also they help make up for worn padding in my helmet too. Get the thin 1" version.
https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Headband...qid=1565198803

I got two, because I can't cycle without it in the summer. I'll soak the pads in my helmet, but these drain the sweat to the back of my head.

Tried the cycling caps but they are too hot and they don't fit my head well. I need the ventilation.
+1, they work great
Old 08-15-19, 06:39 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Humidity in the 40s and 50s? I am so jealous! Here in Atlanta the humidity rarely dips below the 80s and is often in the 90s. I sweat buckets, nothing works.
i was thinking the same. i would love to see some humidity in the 40-50's. I think that my sweat doesn't evaporate because the air is 80+ % humidity already.
Old 01-30-20, 11:08 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I just put this Halo review together
https://buckyrides.com/headband/

- james
Likes For jbucky1:
Old 01-31-20, 10:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
The answer to this thread's question is obvious right now: ride in the depths of winter and you're very unlikely to get sweat in your eyes.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-11-20, 06:52 AM
laychris

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always use a headband, you may also look for it in some brand shops
Old 02-11-20, 11:16 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
These work well for me. The have an antimicrobial yellow band in the front that stops the sweat cold.
Old 02-11-20, 11:33 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
This band actually works surprisingly well for me. Only a few bucks on Amazon.
Old 02-11-20, 11:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
In my racing days I solved the problem of salty sweat in my eyes by eliminating the salt (almost completely). I went on a very low salt diet specifically to sweat less sodium and fare better n hot, humid races. That worked very well, (It was also a major eyeopener. We Americans eat an incredible amount of salt. After I retrained my taste buds, everything that came in a package was way too salty.)

So, that summer, sweat in my eyes didn't sting.

I have an issue with the Halo caps. That sweat diverter ridge, Under my POC helmet, I get headaches from it. Took me quite a while to figure out it was that ridge doing it. I thought it was dehydration until I got the headache fully hydrated. Then I started noticing the same headache from the winter caps I've been wearing. The logo on the front. I now wear it backwards. (I;ll start wearing the Halo backwards as well. 'Till now it's been out of circulation.)

Ben
Old 02-11-20, 07:07 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
This band actually works surprisingly well for me. Only a few bucks on Amazon.
The inside of t he halo I posted above has the same yellow sweat-stopping band. They should work similarly, though the cap has more material to absorb sweat. It is very cool and breathes though.
Likes For GeneO:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.