Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Daytime Lights: Best Thing I Ever Did

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Daytime Lights: Best Thing I Ever Did

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 05:05 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
This is the first time I've seen a discussion about lighting not get to be heated by now, and I've never seen the post count mentioned before.
Old 10-04-19, 05:29 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I have to say that, despite some of the silly stuff going on in this thread I started, I've picked up a few good pointers about the placement and angling of lights and will probably be making some adjustments over the winter.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 10-05-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-05-19, 08:56 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

I was glad I had mine on this morning when the mom mobile decided that they didn't need to even slow down for the stop sign as they approached me at a right angle. The flashing helmet light made them notice me even if they hadn't noticed the sign.
Old 10-05-19, 09:07 AM
Papa Tom

Yeah, what is it with people completely ignoring STOP signs and red lights lately? Have we gotten that close to a lawless society?

On a similar note, there's a driver along my commute who obliviously cuts his left turns way too sharp every morning, practically plowing into oncoming traffic in the process. I am always thankful that I haven't reached the corner yet when I see him coming with either a cell phone to his ear or a coffee cup in his face. Friday, however, I left a few minutes later, and there I was, stopped at a red light, when this guy comes flying around the corner, just about shaving off a layer of my front tire with his bumper. Ironically, I don't think he even noticed how close his poor turning habit came to causing a catastrophe, as he was too busy shaking his head, seemingly at the brightness of my headlight.
Old 10-07-19, 10:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@Jim from Boston, if there were a way to count how many times people read your posts, I expect it would indicate you have a lower readership than many people. I truly do understand what you intend, but I am incapable of reading your posts without huge effort. I know I'm supposed to read from top to bottom. The concept is easy. I just can't do it, for whatever reason. You have no reason to care how I experience your posts, but the possibly-important point is that there may be many others like me: they see your posts and skip them. That offsets whatever benefit you seem to think you are imparting by making them so fancy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-19, 10:46 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
[MENTION=124426]You have no reason to care how I experience your posts, but the possibly-important point is that there may be many others like me: they see your posts and skip them.
There are others, myself included, and that's exactly what I've been trying to say, but nicer.
Old 10-07-19, 11:56 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by RubeRad
There are others, myself included, and that's exactly what I've been trying to say, but nicer.
I think Tom said it just fine. Nobody is dissing Jim as a person; just his method of posting. He has some very useful things to say, but people are skipping his posts because they find them too complicated to follow.
Old 10-07-19, 12:10 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

We're into the time of year where my lights go from making me more visible to helping me see on the way home. One of my lights has a sensor that turns it on when it's dark enough, and I used that the other day to see how well it worked. It turned on later than I wanted, and turned off when I got to a darker section of the bike path. I think the light from my helmet light must have turned off the sensor.
Old 10-09-19, 07:08 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I ride pre-dawn with one guy that has a headlight so bright that when I'm out in front of him and look back over my shoulder for traffic, all I can see is a locomotive bearing down on me.
And riding behind him is not picnic either. I have to either hang way back or off to the side to avoid his over-lumened, blinding flasher.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-09-19, 07:50 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Bunch of internet bike dweebs critiquing each other’s posting styles. If any of us had any real social/communication skills we wouldn’t be on the internet trying to “socialize” anyway.

Had to charge my headlight and taillight both last night for the first time in over a week. The new 15 minute commute has lots of perks over the previous 60-75 minute commute.