Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Steel drop bar commuter/gravel bike

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-14-19, 05:05 PM
Nrs_Comp1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, new to the forum! I'm currently looking at changing my current commuter bike (Norco Search Alloy Tiagra) for something that is a little more comfortable and have hydraulic disc brake and 11 speed (either 1x or 2x). Since I will be putting a rack and full fender on the bike, my best option (beside spending a lot of $$ on titanium) seems to be getting a steel bike. I don't need a full touring bike either because I will also be using the bike for weekend gravel rides and would like to keep the weight down and the handling a bit sharper. I have done a bit of research and so far the best value I can find would be a Jamis Renegade Exploit (either 2018 or 2019) or a 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT.

Any input on the Jamis or the Bombtrack would be great. Is there any other option on the market for around 1800 USD with hydraulic disc brakes and 1x11 or 2x11 groupset?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-19, 05:17 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
There is something to be said for having a dedicated commuter with fenders, racks, etc., and a different bike for say gravel rides or any other kind of riding you want to do.
Old 10-15-19, 05:03 AM
Nrs_Comp1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
There is something to be said for having a dedicated commuter with fenders, racks, etc., and a different bike for say gravel rides or any other kind of riding you want to do.
I agree with you, a dedicated commuter would be preferable but I don't have the budget for multiple road/gravel/commuter bikes so I'm basically looking for the most versatile bike possible. I do 95% of my riding on pavement (mix of road and bike path) but there's some pretty bad road surface on most of my commute so that's why I was leaning toward trying a steel bike.
Old 10-21-19, 12:17 AM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Cannondale Topstone 105 also meets your criteria.

I just built up a Jamis Renegade Escapade frameset as a gravel bike/commuter and love it do far. Most my riding so far has been gravel but just recently out fenders on it will be putting the commuting miles on!

BTW I don't see any issues with putting a rack and fenders on an aluminum bike...
Old 10-21-19, 08:45 AM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I've been loving Kona's Rove ST