Old 09-17-18, 05:38 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Tell me about Redlands...

My wife wants to move to Redlands. California is home to her and she wants to be back. I went to a few college parties and a reunion with her at University of Redlands back in the day so I've spent some time hanging out in the town. I dig it over all. Lots of really good Mexican food.

What I am wondering is how the cycling scene is there. We went last weekend to check out a house. The whole time I was there I didn't see anyone riding, even on Saturday and Sunday morning. The IE seems really unfriendly to cycling. My experience is that traffic moves really fast and drivers are stressed and impatient. I have very little free time to ride these days, so most of my rides will have to begin and end at my front door early on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Are there good routes in the area? What about dirt roads?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-18, 07:33 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
have only sparingly ridden in the area. i do remember serpentine rd in the area turning into sunset dr and running for a good stretch slightly uphill as you head west to east.
pretty and a lot of it is shaded so good for those hot days that blanket the area for 5 or so months. san timoteo canyon rd runs parallel to that and carries a decent amount of traffic but allows
you to head west or east w/o too many stop signs/lights. the adjacent san bernardino mountains are the elephant in the room. if you hate climbing, heading north is completely shut off to you.
if you love climbing, you're in luck. there are a few forumites that dwell/ride in the area and i'm sure they'll be along shortly.
Old 09-17-18, 09:02 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Your description of traffic applies to most of urban/suburban California. I live in Orange County but did grow up in Riverside and do a few IE rides each year. To the east you can ride up and over Oak Glen down into Cherry Valley or Beaumont then back on San Timoteo. Head east on hwy 38 and you can climb to Forest Falls. Make the hairpin turn to follow 38 and you can climb to Angelus Oaks, Onyx Summit (8,443) and down into Big Bear. These are all top notch rides - if you like to climb.

you can also ride west or southwest and find much flatter rides. You can ride to the Santa Ana river trail and ride all the way to Huntington Beach. Ride down the coast the SanClemente then take the train back. I’ve done some riding in Redlands proper when starting centuries from Sylvan Park. Seems like an ok area overall.

Summers are HOT, rest of the year is usually pretty nice. Our own @DrIsotope lives in the IE, I’m sure he’ll chime in with more info.
Old 09-17-18, 09:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Of the towns in the I.E., Redlands is certainly one of the more bike-friendly. As @jimincalif pointed out, we've got all the climbs you could want-- Oak Glen, Onyx Summit, Forest Falls, Arrowhead-- hell, you're close enough to ride to San Jacinto or Baldy and back. It's about 70 miles to Huntington Beach via the SART, about 90 to Oceanside via Fallbrook. You want dirt? Hulda Crooks, Yucaipa/Zanja, Alder Creek Road, San Timoteo Canyon-- you can ride from the valley all the way to Big Bear Lake on fire road and singletrack. An early morning Greenspot Loop will get you great scenery, quiet, almost empty roads, and the biggest mix of pavement conditions you could encounter on a paved ride-- there are places in the I.E. where going through a field is smoother than sticking to the road.

The big clubs are Ride Yourself Fit and Redlands Water Bottle Transit Company-- a great start is to look 'em up on Strava and see where the club rides go. They stick to the more bike-friendly roads and parts of town. I ride wherever I please, so my Strava would probably put some folks new to the area into a coma. Don's Bikes in Redlands also does a Tuesday Night Worlds every week on the Sunset Loop, and casual pick-up rides every weekend. If you do make your way out here and you're ever looking for an informal guide to the area, send me a PM. I don't know if there's anywhere in the I.E. I haven't been.
Old 09-18-18, 11:59 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
@tunavic used to live in Redlands and as far as I know still belongs to RWBTC.

IMO Redlands is easily one of the more bike friendly towns in the IE.

If you want some hills, you can always start at your front door and head up to Onyx peak. No clue about dirt roads.
Old 09-18-18, 09:33 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Lot's of good info already given here. @DrIsotope rides all over the IE so he's an excellent source of info.

In general, the IE is like much of SoCal. Lots of SUVs and big trucks and roads that vary from OK to horrible pavement.

Speaking specifically of Redlands, it's probably one of the most bike friendly communities in the IE. The Redlands Bicycle Classic is held every May right in the heart of downtown.

Home - Redlands Bicycle Classic - Redlands, CA

Local clubs: www.rwbtc.org and www.rideyourselffit.org Both decent bike clubs with great members.
Old 09-18-18, 11:57 PM
showlow

Thanks for the responses everyone. Got lots to follow up on here.

I definitely like to climb, btw.
Old 09-19-18, 12:01 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
you be set then. between the 18, 330, 38, 74, 243, oak glen road...those will keep ya in shape.
Old 09-19-18, 08:04 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lots of serious cyclists there. lots of good climbs: Onyx Peak, Oak Glen... or you may drive a bit to San Gabriel Mountains..

Beach OAB century rides (with tailwinds most of the day) is fun too (or half a century with metro train out or back)
Old 09-19-18, 11:17 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Here's a link to some rides in the area. Only a couple of them are private but most will open in RWGPS with no problem

https://rwbtc.clubexpress.com/conten...dule_id=165009
Old 09-21-18, 06:27 PM
showlow

Thanks again everyone. Tons of good info here. Really excited to explore our new home. Hard part will be waiting for the wife's contract to be up next spring so we can get going.
Old 02-25-19, 11:09 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Make sure to check out Cuca's Mexican food and cycle Sunset Dr when you get into town.