Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Man, I'm hooked on commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 08:13 PM
maidenfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I feel like crap on the days I dont ride. The third and fourth mornings can be rough (work 4 x tens and I ride a fixed gear bike hard which makes my legs sore), but the way I feel when I start work and when I get home is second to none. I feel even better when its raining and crappy outside, especially when I'm passing cars in traffic (cuz traffic sucks and there isnt any in my lane). Currently riding a Surly Ogre - I need a real fast drop bar geared bike now so I can start taking some longer routes with hills.

PS - was 280, fat with a 130+/90+ BP and a high 70's/80's resting HR when I started. Now - 235ish, close to 10% BF, 116/51 BP and a 51 resting HR now. Good sport.
Old 10-15-12, 08:23 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1

I'm down 40 pounds and feeling great.

Last time I rode in to the office in a hard rain, the gal at the front desk said "wow, you must be tough." Actually, there are tougher things than rain, but that made me laugh.

Every successful commute is another win. Just keep racking them up....
Old 10-15-12, 09:15 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Yeah I can't stand the thought of sitting in a traffic jam, then sitting at my desk all day then sitting in a traffic jam again. I really have to be tired/sore to go that route nowadays :-)

I'm sure it looks crazy seeing me ride along in a monsoon, but perhaps craziness is the key to well-being!
Old 10-15-12, 10:56 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hate to admit it but I feel so superior to my car driving coworkers. They complain about their weight gains, diabetes and blood pressure meds. I eat chocolate covered pretzels and ask for the big slice of birthday cake.
Old 10-15-12, 11:06 PM
sbs z31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also hooked on commuting to work with my singlespeed road bike. I say keep your fixie or switch to singlespeed and keep at it. You can be pretty quick on either a singlespeed or fix gear and climbing hills isn't too bad once you get a hang of it. I'm sure you can keep up with geared bikes even on the hills. How's your average speed when commuting? I'm averaging between 17-18mph on my 8mi commute one way with moderate hills and this is also on a 48t chainring and 16t freewheel. Keep at it and stay safe!
Old 10-15-12, 11:44 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You know what they say about commuting....

You use just a few times, and you're hooked.

Awesome isn't it?
Old 10-16-12, 06:49 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't lose weight commuting (my body seems to want to weigh 178 no matter what I do) but I do feel much better on days that I ride.

I had some wisdom teeth out 3 weeks ago and I'm healing slowly, so I've regretfully decided to drive at least some days a week because my ears feel like I've got an ear infection when they get cold, and it's been cold lately. (I don't actually have an infection, the doc said that the pressure and pain is one of the normal things that can happen in recovery).

The main health benefit is that it lowers my blood pressure by about 15 points.
Old 10-16-12, 07:00 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started commuting in October 2010 and I haven't stopped since...I love it. With the right gear those rainy/snowy/windy/cold days are nothing.
Old 10-16-12, 07:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I feel much better on days when I bike commute and generally go stir crazy on days when I can't ride.
Old 10-16-12, 08:48 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am hooked too! I love it. It truly is addicting! Gotta take "the pills" everyday!
Old 10-16-12, 10:01 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
This place where I'm working today (and Thursday and Friday this week) recently started beginning production at 6:00; it had been 7:00, then 6:30, in the morning. If I ride my bike and catch the commuter bus I can get here around 7:20. That was working when they started as early as 6:30, but the extra half hour earlier puts me too far behind if I get here that late. I'm peeved, as this is the location whence I can ride all the way home (about 34 miles) if it's a nice day, though those will be rare for a long time now. Grump grump. At least if I drive I can go running at Minto Brown park after work.

I hope they get caught up and resume their later start times before the weather improves next year.
Old 10-16-12, 10:07 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hooked too. I regret driving every day I don't ride. I rode in heavy rain a few times and the motorcyclist in shipping said "Wow, you're hard core!"
Old 10-16-12, 10:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I gained five pounds and lost an inch or two off my waist.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-16-12, 10:17 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I am hooked too! I love it. It truly is addicting! Gotta take "the pills" everyday!

Best. Medicine. Ever.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 10-16-12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-16-12, 10:35 AM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too, am hooked! I had been commuting to school occasionaly over the past couple years but since Oct. 1st this year I have ramped it up to almost everyday. Last week I commuted; 13 miles each way; Monday thru Thursday but was too tired for Friday. This was my first week of serious commuting. This week I commuted yesterday and today and I feel great!!! I haven't had to ride in adverse weather conditions other than gusty winds however. I'm not sure if I am going to venture out for a commute if I know its going to rain that day. Should I be ashamed of myself?
Old 10-16-12, 12:00 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steely Dan

Best. Medicine. Ever.
I printed this out a while ago and hung it in my office! he he he
Old 10-16-12, 12:16 PM
TigMSM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been commuting for less than two weeks. I first thought that I wouldn't want to ride the 9 mi from home to work. But when the wife had a fender-bender and was using my car, I began the ride. Now, I hop out of bed in the morning to get on my bike and can't wait for the day to be over so I can ride home.

Wish I had made this discovery last spring instead of this autumn. I do not look forward to the shorter days and wetter, colder weather.

-Bob
Old 10-16-12, 12:27 PM
maidenfan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TigMSM
I've been commuting for less than two weeks. I first thought that I wouldn't want to ride the 9 mi from home to work. But when the wife had a fender-bender and was using my car, I began the ride. Now, I hop out of bed in the morning to get on my bike and can't wait for the day to be over so I can ride home.

Wish I had made this discovery last spring instead of this autumn. I do not look forward to the shorter days and wetter, colder weather.

-Bob
Once I found the solution to keeping my body temp comfortable with the right clothing, the weather doesnt bother me anymore. Keeping "dry" is pretty much impossible for me as I sweat a lot. I'm lucky though as I have access to a shower and indoor parking for the bike at work.
Old 10-16-12, 12:43 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right there with you. have only driven to work 3 times since March. best feeling ever to start/finish the day with a ride. if it's a bad day, i go the 20mi route home instead of my usual 5 or 10, burn out the negativity. my coworkers think i'm stupid and/or crazy, but they also complain about the three flights of stairs to the office.

42, and i'm in better shape than when i was 30. dropped 20# (even though i was active in other ways) and am fascinated by the increase in definition. just starting to get that center divot on my front quads.

now I have my singlespeed cross bike set up with real fenders and snow tires on a spare wheelset. will get studs depending on the season, but most of the locals i've talked to have never used them. looking forward to the challenge of adding that fourth season to my commuting.
Old 10-16-12, 05:02 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
totally addicted.ive been commuting 10 miles round trip every day for four months and ive lost 35-40 lbs.the few days that i didnt ride i really noticed it and didnt like it at all.im 40 years old and haven ridden a bike since i was a kid,sad that i didnt catch on sooner,maybe it could have replaced some of my other ,unhealthier addictions ive had along the way.....
Old 10-16-12, 05:52 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
To The OP:

You described my feelings exactly, right down to the part about enjoying the commute even more when it's raining and crappy outside.

Bike commuting sure is addictive, even when everybody at work makes fun of you for it.
Old 10-16-12, 06:51 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I
feel like crap on the days I dont ride. The third and fourth mornings can be rough (work 4 x tens and I ride a fixed gear bike hard which makes my legs sore), but the way I feel when I start work and when I get home is second to none. I feel even better when its raining and crappy outside, especially when I'm passing cars in traffic (cuz traffic sucks and there isnt any in my lane). Currently riding a Surly Ogre - I need a real fast drop bar geared bike now so I can start taking some longer routes with hills.

PS - was 280, fat with a 130+/90+ BP and a high 70's/80's resting HR when I started. Now - 235ish, close to 10% BF, 116/51 BP and a 51 resting HR now. Good sport.
+1

I was 110kg 7 months ago. Now I'm 83kg and can ride 240km in a day - pushing for 300km when I get the time. I ride 30km every morning at 3-4am, 20-50km commuting every day and another 160-300 every weekend. The day I don't ride is a bad day. Though I must admit, I didn't get up at 4am like I usually do this morning as it was cold and rainy and I couldn't be bothered. But hey, one day off a week is allowed. Two? Not a chance.
Old 10-16-12, 07:40 PM
JPMacG

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I love commuting. I do an 18 mile round trip with a lot of hills, usually 3 times a week. But I sure haven't seen the health benefits. I do feel better and certainly have developed strength. But I have put on about 10 pounds, my cholesterol has not changed and my bp has not changed.

I think those who have lost weight must be reducing their calorie intake greatly.
Old 10-16-12, 08:04 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For me the wieght/toning effects are negligible below 20 mi a day. Pacing is big as well. When I was doing a 17mi route(10 mi out with hills/return route partial to carpool home with the SO) the intensity was below threshold enough that I didn't lose wieght. Felt good either way and 20 is a lot more tiring, doing hills both ways. Calorie count is a big factor in either context, though reduction is not necessarily what it is about. Changing calorie type is more important.
Old 10-16-12, 08:15 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
I'm not sure if I am going to venture out for a commute if I know its going to rain that day. Should I be ashamed of myself?
Yes! Stop thinking of cycling as a fair weather activity! :-)

I rode home in a monsoon yesterday and loved it. Then this morning it was a 30 MPH head wind. Even that was better than driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.