Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Waterproof shoes for city/touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 05:00 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello

To shed yet more weight when touring, I'm thinking of bringing only a single pair of shoes, so they have to be wearable for use in the city and 100% waterproof so they're dry the next morning after riding in the rain.

I'm thinking of shoes like the Sharx-Lite Sand (Anthracite have been end-of-lifed).

Any feedback appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 12-09-13, 05:39 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Except for the insole, I guess you could call them waterproof since they're made of some sort of high tech plastic. Lots of ventilation, so no good in cold weather. Made me think of Crocs.

I pedal in Teva Churn watershoes when it's warm and don't worry about wet feet. They dry fast enough for me. Cold rain, that's the real challenge.
Old 12-10-13, 02:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
(sharx)Nobody deals in those things out side the sunny Mediterranean, so your guess is it.

Spud bike stuff . Sandals like Shimano's adapt, via straps.. you get a waterproof boot liner oversock to keep the other socks Dry.

[or plastic bags] long distance cycle tourists use them.

Around Here I wear a Pair of LL Bean rubber Mocs, though they also offer lace up boots too ,
step in and go is fine..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-28-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 06:13 AM
stephenjubb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mt91...FcUSwwodcjoAeA

I'm sure you can in USA, I've used these extensively, in Scotland, summer and winter, feet only start to get damp after 4 hours of terrential rain.

Work great in winter, just were thicker socks and suggest getting a size bigger.
Old 12-10-13, 07:59 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for the tips. For cold weather, I'll just wear wool socks.
Old 12-10-13, 09:51 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Different strokes, but I have found waterproof shoes to not work well. Water gets in and stays in, or I sweat and that stays in. I much prefer shoes with plenty of mesh to let them drain and dry. In really cold weather shoe covers or booties are the way to go, but I have never really wished for them on tour even in sub freezing temps.
Old 12-10-13, 01:43 PM
duckbill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much did you want to spend? $229.00

https://www.northwave.com/en/product/_grancanion_2gtx
Old 12-10-13, 04:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
We always take light booties on tour, Sugoi Resistors. Totally worth it. We wear Sidi Dominators. Neither the shoes nor the booties will dry overnight in the tent, but they will in a motel. If you have spare dry socks, or will dry your socks in your bag like we do, it doesn't much matter.

We carry a pair of Gore Tex trail runners for townie and hiking wear. Gore Tex so we can walk around a certain amount in the rain and not get our socks wet. Downside of Gore Tex is that if you push it, riding in the rain for instance, they will get wet and are extremely difficult to get to dry again as the membrane holds the water in about as well as it holds it out.
Old 12-11-13, 08:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,146 Posts
My many years of driving motorcycles in the rain tells me that water gets on your leg, runs down to your socks and slowly fills up your shoes or boots to volumetric capacity.

Last spring I went on a tour with two others. One brought sneakers for his only shoes. One used sandals that used SPD type cleats as his only footwear. I brought bike shoes (not waterproof) and a second pair of shoes for in the campsite.

The guy with sneakers had foot problems from his feet being too wet and he had some blister issues from that.

The guy with sandals had wet feet until the rain quit, then he had dry feet.

On the first day after many days of rain, my cycle shoes were soaked so I strapped them on the outside of my gear to start drying out while I wore the shoes that I brought for the campsite. (I used M324 pedals, can use both SPD shoes and plain shoes.) If it was cool enough to wear rain pants and shoe covers during the days of rain, I would have. But it was warm enough that I decided instead to wear shorts and get wet legs instead.

I would do the same thing again, bring two pair. The guy with the sandals would do the same thing again too. The guy that tried to go light weight and had foot problems because he only had one pair of wet shoes would probably bring two pair of shoes next time.
Old 12-13-13, 07:32 PM
BLYTZPK
Banned

Bikes: '78 Raleigh rebuilt to 21C...Redline Monocog cyclocross in steel redone to 8 spped trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waterproof shoes support dry feet but water destroys the shoe. Goretex is not flexible for cycling foot motions only walking foot motion: check Gore’s shoe use….walkers. Gore hiking boots ! excellent for walking but fall apart from watering even when carefully prepped. Mountain boots, no way a Mtn boot survives cycling motion.
I have been using NB A/T….used and designated for cycling A/T. Using new $80 sneakers cycling 5 miles DOA soul. Trashed for walking. Destroys the midsection.
Where are the rain wet weather cycling shoes ? for whom ? you and..? there are no market numbers support ing investment.

You ‘re left holding the bag. Bag quality is down. Pull bag bottom up for a double wall bag, masking tape together, invert n placeused sneaker in with a neoprene sock. Long Gore pants (Campmor) overhung bag with that assembly hooked with elastic strap/velcro (Seattle Fabrics)
NB quality varies with time. Latest uppers are terrific, treads are ‘glued’ to sole base with water soluble glue. A/T ? yeah Painted Desert with 3M Scotch nitrile rubber and gasket cement (McMasterCarr).
The used NB cycling A/T treads are stepped into soul base’s sides. Good shoe.
Old 12-14-13, 08:24 AM
wardie

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Kubachi, Trek 820, Iron Horse Trail, 74 Schwinn LeTour, 95 Schwinn LeTour, Ross Euro Tour, Miayata

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motorcyclist buy an inexpensive Frog Tog type boot cover. It's open from the ball to heel but toe is completely covered and an elastic bottom too. Full length put on, make sure your rain paints on the outside and you're good to go. They weight almost nothing. Wardie
Old 06-28-14, 04:33 AM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Except for the insole, I guess you could call them waterproof since they're made of some sort of high tech plastic. Lots of ventilation, so no good in cold weather. Made me think of Crocs.

I pedal in Teva Churn watershoes when it's warm and don't worry about wet feet. They dry fast enough for me. Cold rain, that's the real challenge.
Hello, Thanks for the shoe idea. I'm looking for a clip less shoe alternative because I want to be able to get off my bike and hike. Do you think they would do well in subtropical Taiwan? How is the traction? The roads can get really slick with a green moss. Thanks in advance
Old 06-28-14, 06:49 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts

In rain I wear Sealskinz socks under running shoes. Shoes get soaked (of course) and eventually the socks are wet as well - BUT keep warm!

I'm considering a second pair for changing into in camp.

I've given up on waterproof gloves. Condensation and water running down your arms gets them soaked in no time...

Last edited by imi; 06-28-14 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-28-14, 07:02 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD MTB shoes or sandals for riding and light walking/hiking (they are comfortable enough for that). If it's wet and cold, I wear wool socks underneath them. Lightweight Merrell sneakers for off the bike and for longer hikes. I want a stiff-soled shoe for riding.

Newspaper left in bike shoes overnight does a pretty good job of drying them out. (Take the lining out first and scrunch up rolls of newspaper and stuff down into the shoe. Maybe repeat if the paper gets soaked instantly.
Old 06-28-14, 07:29 AM
MichaelW

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
In rain I wear Sealskinz socks under running shoes. Shoes get soaked (of course) and eventually the socks are wet as well - BUT keep warm!
I'm considering a second pair for changing into in camp.
I've given up on waterproof gloves. Condensation and water running down your arms gets them soaked in no time...
V good but you also need w/p over-pants outside the sock.
Old 06-28-14, 08:56 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
V good but you also need w/p over-pants outside the sock.
Yeah, I'm not bothered by being wet while riding, the w/p socks are more for keeping feet warm, but in camp is where a second pair of w/p socks and rain jacket and pants keep dry and cozy.

I usually get so warm riding in rain gear that i roll up arms and legs which defeats the waterproof benefits of socks and gloves.

... and by the time it's raining hard enough to bother stopping and putting rain gear on, I'm too wet to bother... Put the gear on too early and it WILL stop raining!

Last edited by imi; 06-28-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-28-14, 09:01 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's just Keen Sandals with wool socks for me. I've used them in rain, ( they dry quickly ) I've used them in dry weather in temps down to 0 degrees C and remained warm.
Old 06-28-14, 09:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I used to wear Birkenstock clogs & wool boot sox, in the 70's.. sometimes the shoe stayed in the toe clip
when I put my foot down ..

now I have Bean rubber mocs.. Ergon pedals..

For my wet Irish Tour , I bought Shoe Covers ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-28-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-28-14, 11:02 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meyers66
Hello, Thanks for the shoe idea. I'm looking for a clip less shoe alternative because I want to be able to get off my bike and hike. Do you think they would do well in subtropical Taiwan? How is the traction? The roads can get really slick with a green moss. Thanks in advance
I do a lot of walking in the Churns, like 5-10 miles. But not on slick trails, yet. Doubt any hiking sole is gonna grip well on a wet, mossy trail. I suspect the Churns will do as well as any. They are low quarter, so no ankle bracing.

Re pedaling in them. Just finished a fast 30 miles on my tt bike with grippy platforms and the Churns. Bit less efficient than clips, but no foot problems at all.
Old 06-28-14, 10:25 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you seen these?

https://www.dzrshoes.com/shoes

Their "H2O" is supposed to be waterproof/resistant. I'm tempted to get a pair come Fall. Although some of their other options look great, like the "Dice", it specifically mentions that it is quick drying...

Last edited by Medic Zero; 06-28-14 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 07:08 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm bringing a pair of Dawgs as my second pair on my run, less than 15 Oz for the pair and plenty of support.

Amazon.com: DAWGS Men's Spirit Shoes: Shoes

But will spin in spd's

Last edited by edthesped; 06-29-14 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 11:32 AM
lotsaSpokes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both the H20 & the Dice.
I've had 2 pairs of the H20s. The first pair was very waterproof, the second was more like "very, very water-resistant." They are very nice looking shoes that get frequent compliments. I brought them on a tour of the UK a while back as my second shoe, fearing the typical UK rain. While they held up to the rain, they did not work well as all day (80miles +) cycling shoes. That's the difficult thing about the casual SPD shoes that have been popping up of late. Too flexible, and they're great for walking, but not for long distance cycling. Too stiff, and you do the duck walk typical of performance cycling shoes. The H2Os are the flexible type. The waterproofing also makes the H20 uncomfortable & hot in 80F+ weather.
The Dice are the stiff type, as well as being surprisingly water resistant in the rain. I haven't taken the Dice on a tour, but I've done tons of miles in them commuting. They are the better shoe, though I could entirely do without the velcro strap. It really doesn't add any foot retention, and it just gets in the way when lacing & unlacing.
I've had a bunch of the DZR stuff, and I've liked all their shoes I've had. My favorite is still the Rondel they used to make for Mission Workshop.
Old 07-01-14, 02:13 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lotsaSpokes
I have both the H20 & the Dice.
I've had 2 pairs of the H20s. The first pair was very waterproof, the second was more like "very, very water-resistant." They are very nice looking shoes that get frequent compliments. I brought them on a tour of the UK a while back as my second shoe, fearing the typical UK rain. While they held up to the rain, they did not work well as all day (80miles +) cycling shoes. That's the difficult thing about the casual SPD shoes that have been popping up of late. Too flexible, and they're great for walking, but not for long distance cycling. Too stiff, and you do the duck walk typical of performance cycling shoes. The H2Os are the flexible type. The waterproofing also makes the H20 uncomfortable & hot in 80F+ weather.
The Dice are the stiff type, as well as being surprisingly water resistant in the rain. I haven't taken the Dice on a tour, but I've done tons of miles in them commuting. They are the better shoe, though I could entirely do without the velcro strap. It really doesn't add any foot retention, and it just gets in the way when lacing & unlacing.
I've had a bunch of the DZR stuff, and I've liked all their shoes I've had. My favorite is still the Rondel they used to make for Mission Workshop.

Great reviews! Thank you very much!

Old 07-01-14, 08:12 AM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shower caps
Old 07-02-14, 12:42 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Lots of shoes are waterproof.....But they all have a hole your foot goes in.....Gaiters make waterproof shoes actually waterproof.