Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for a roof mounted bike rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 05:40 PM
frogger42

Bikes: 2017 Breezer Radar Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Previously, I have hauled my bike using a hitch mounted bike rack. However, I just traded in my previous vehicle, which had a towing hitch. My new vehicle does not have one. I looked into adding one but it is crazy expensive (over $1000) and because of the way it has to be installed, it can't be done by a 3rd party. Since the only thing I would use the towing hitch for is the bike rack, that seems like a bad idea. My new vehicle did come with roof rails though so I'm thinking the solution is to by a roof rack. My current bike is a steel framed gravel grinder, but I may be upgrading to a carbon fiber framed road bike in the near future so I want something safe for both. I'd also like to leave it installed when not in use so I need something that folds flat when not in use. I've looked at the Thule UpRide, Yakima HighRoad and Yakima FrontLoader. What opinions do you have on these? I did read a review that said the Thule UpRide was not safe for road bikes, but that was an Amazon review so not sure how much weight to give that. What others should I be looking at? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 04-13-20, 06:45 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Installing a hitch reciever for a bike rack shouldn't be that expensive. Keep in mind, all you need is the reciever, not the lighting hookup or brake control interface. (Sounds like a German car, lol)

Any of those racks are a good choice for a wheel-on carrier that doesn't grab the downtube (better for CF frames) Thule and Yakima are pretty much the standard of the business, so you can't go wrong there.
The bigger question as far as which brand will be dependent on the rack/towers/crossbars. Sometimes one brand has a better system for a particular vehicle.
Also, is this something you want to leave mounted year-round, or just mount up once in a while?
Old 04-13-20, 06:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Do you park in a garage or really like your Starbucks/mcd's/DD drive thru? If so skip the whole idea. Personally I like Thule and was planning on getting the upside to handle the bikes with fatter frame tubes then my current thule carriers can handle. Don't know why it wouldn't work with a road bike.
odd on the hitch, does the cost include the completely unnecessary wiring that a hitch rack has no use for? Did uhaul tell you there's nothing? Cause according to Mazda there isn't one for mine but 2 hours and 400 later I pulled away with their trailer in tow. Would have been 250 but I wanted wiring.
Old 04-13-20, 07:19 PM
frogger42

Bikes: 2017 Breezer Radar Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Do you park in a garage or really like your Starbucks/mcd's/DD drive thru? If so skip the whole idea. Personally I like Thule and was planning on getting the upside to handle the bikes with fatter frame tubes then my current thule carriers can handle. Don't know why it wouldn't work with a road bike.
odd on the hitch, does the cost include the completely unnecessary wiring that a hitch rack has no use for? Did uhaul tell you there's nothing? Cause according to Mazda there isn't one for mine but 2 hours and 400 later I pulled away with their trailer in tow. Would have been 250 but I wanted wiring.
The new vehicle is a 2020 Audi Q5. Apparently, to install a towing hitch, you have to remove the rear bumper and disconnect some sensors temporarily. The whole process requires an alignment and a re-calibration when everything is put back. This requires a trip to the dealer and a lot of money.

Yes, this is something I plan to leave installed all year.